Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

British Airways have lost my ski clobber - help please

Poster: A snowHead
Grizzler wrote:
I'm a great one for 'preventative' packing, as many above have outlined. However, if not flying with DIY option airlines (i.e. on package holidays) or if flying on J2 or Thompson/TUI (for example), exactly how do you get your boots and all other fully-essential stuff, plus electronic gadgets/camera and essential liquids/creams (security limitation issues also aside) and maybe foods and book into your wonderous 5 or (gasp) 8 kg cabin baggage allowance, then??? (If the size allowance even lets them all through, of course.)
Back to the old days of Ryanair stuffed mutipocketed jackets tricks?

Only gadget is a phone, no essential liquids or creams, no food, book on the phone. Boots, mojo and knee brace in compliant cabin bag
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
IME the biggest chance of losing hold baggage occurs when you have connecting flights. That has been the only times I have had problems. I do pack essentials in my hand baggage for one days skiing.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
holidayloverxx wrote:
Only gadget is a phone, no essential liquids or creams, no food, book on the phone. Boots, mojo and knee brace in compliant cabin bag

From a health point of view, lucky you! wink
It is probably do-able as long as you don't want or have to carry anything but your boots and goggles.
However, just checked my boots on the kitchen scales - nigh on 2 kg each (with Zipfits). Your Mojo is quoted as 2 kg (I've just looked that up). My basic neoprene braces would add in about 1/2 kg. So you're already over some flights' permitted 5 kg... And you've got to get it below 50x40x20cm too.
Add in a small light camera, chargers and a few other individually lightweight 'essentials' , ski or personal related - perhaps including a few snacks in case of delays (I've been stuck in coaches for many hours on occasions, never mind anything else) - and you're easily over 8kg...
Yes, it's a much better allowance with BA, EJ or another scheduled airline. But that doesn't suit everyone.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
GlasgowCyclops wrote:
@sean1967, Get onto twitter and shame them. It works, the twitter team can get thing done to save face for the company.

I tried that but they've been useless too.

I'm new to this twitter game and don't have any followers. I've tried again this morning and included @snowheads and @skiclubgb in a shamelessly desperate attempt to drum up some retweets.

https://twitter.com/tashy_mc/status/1215863325361430530?s=19

Any retweets are much appreciated snowHead @admin snowHead
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Retweeted, though I hardly use Twitter and have few followers. You have been badly treated. I have booked BA for my ski trip because I wanted to fly business/Club Europe to Lyon and they were the sole option. In the light of your experience I will book a standard flight with someone else next time.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
achilles wrote:
Retweeted, though I hardly use Twitter and have few followers. You have been badly treated. I have booked BA for my ski trip because I wanted to fly business/Club Europe to Lyon and they were the sole option. In the light of your experience I will book a standard flight with someone else next time.

Thanks snowHead
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@sean1967, Hope something works out. Have copied my Tweet to Facebook - which I do use a lot. Good luck.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
achilles wrote:

When you go business / club your bags get tagged with priority tags. This saved us when we did a long weekend for me and hubby in the summer to celebrate our 20th wedding anniversary. When we got back to Heathrow there were IT issues meaning people were waiting 2-3hrs for bags. Just as I was queuing to request they be sent into us so that we could get onto M25 (somewhere close to 4pm) and round to get our kids from grandparents and then another 2hrs home (kids needed to be back at school the following morning)... hubby called to say ours was off. Only those with the priority tags were appearing. Think they were being hand extracted. Suspect any issues you will get very different treatment AND less likely to be left behind as far as I understand it.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Retweeted.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Retweeted.

I haven't used BA for about 12 years when they tried to bump my daughter (12 at the time) and me off a Zurich flight on the first Saturday of February half term. Very stressful we were only allocated a seat at the last minute.

Air Canada left our luggage in New York when we flew back to Marseille in July via Montreal. They further compounded the problem by swapping our luggage over when they eventually delivered it. My girlfriend was on the Ile de Ré at her parent's with a case full of boxers and me in the Alps with a case full of knickers Embarassed
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Grizzler wrote:
holidayloverxx wrote:

From a health point of view, lucky you! wink
It is probably do-able as long as you don't want or have to carry anything but your boots and goggles.
However, just checked my boots on the kitchen scales - nigh on 2 kg each (with Zipfits). Your Mojo is quoted as 2 kg (I've just looked that up). My basic neoprene braces would add in about 1/2 kg. So you're already over some flights' permitted 5 kg... And you've got to get it below 50x40x20cm too.
Add in a small light camera, chargers and a few other individually lightweight 'essentials' , ski or personal related - perhaps including a few snacks in case of delays (I've been stuck in coaches for many hours on occasions, never mind anything else) - and you're easily over 8kg...
Yes, it's a much better allowance with BA, EJ or another scheduled airline. But that doesn't suit everyone.

No camera..i use my phone. No book...I use my phone....charger in my boots. No food, if I am transferring by coach I can buy something on arrival. Boots mojo and brace easily fit into the compliant size but yes, it is about 8kg
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Claude B wrote:
Retweeted.

I haven't used BA for about 12 years when they tried to bump my daughter (12 at the time) and me off a Zurich flight on the first Saturday of February half term. Very stressful we were only allocated a seat at the last minute.

Air Canada left our luggage in New York when we flew back to Marseille in July via Montreal. They further compounded the problem by swapping our luggage over when they eventually delivered it. My girlfriend was on the Ile de Ré at her parent's with a case full of boxers and me in the Alps with a case full of knickers Embarassed

A likely story! These ain't my scants, Guv, honest! snowHead
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
foxtrotzulu wrote:
I think it's worth remembering that the risk of your hold baggage being delayed or lost is only about 1:150. With those odds I have no intention of lugging anything with me as hand baggage if I don't have to (assuming I have to take hold baggage at all. I'd rather just have hand baggage to save time). Hope that made sense.

From what I can see it actually appears to be about about 0.5% globally, with europe being a bit worse (in line with your 0.7%) than elsewhere and somewhere around half of those being on connecting flights, which other posts on here have indicated. Only a very small percentage of the "lost" bags are permanently lost. (7% of 0.5% ?)

Some more here, albeit from 2 years ago :-
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/travel-truths/What-happens-to-lost-luggage/
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
So as @sean1967, appears to be surviving and resigned to his fate (and skiing this week so deserving of a bit less sympathy) perhaps we could start tracking bets on when his clobber will turn up?
My money is on it getting to his digs 10mins after he leaves for the airport. Happened to me and a friend a few years ago. We actually saw the delivery van going the other way and fortunately had enough time to turn the taxi around and get it once the van driver had phoned us.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@adithorp, in my limited experience of lost bags, they’ll turn up 10 mins before the new-for-old insurance payout is due!

About 12 yrs ago, flying with our then 9-month old son, Swiss delayed our bag delivery 52 hours (Xmas eve flight out of London city, no more flights till 27th). My insurance paid out up to £400 once there was a 4-hour delay and then up to £2500 on a delay exceeding 48hrs on a full New for old basis. the £400 went very fast, and we were all set for a fully funded shopping spree of high end kit, but at 47hrs got a call from Swiss saying our bag would arrive later that evening, at which point I felt it would be unethical to pull the insurance trigger for the 2.5k.
latest report
My bet is, He will get back to Venice Airport and they will not hand the bag over to him....!
latest report
albob wrote:
My bet is, He will get back to Venice Airport and they will not hand the bag over to him....!

That's all part of the cluster, I flew to Innsbruck. At no point have a planned to use Venice! After telling me it would go to Innsbruck then up the hill, BA sent it to Venice.

I've not even booked home travel yet, my girlfriend is arriving tonight for 5 days, I had my spare cheap goggles in my bag for her, not going to be cheap to buy another pair up here.

I'll either use Innsbruck, Verona or Bologna middle of next week, I'm sure my mate Michael O'Leary wouldn't do this to me. snowHead
latest report
@sean1967, Oh dear -- at least you are enjoying the skiing/resort... ;; which accommodation are you staying in (just curious..) ??
latest report
NickyJ wrote:

When you go business / club your bags get tagged with priority tags.

I find that is very rare that priority tags make any difference for my bags, maybe 1 in 20 times have priority bags arrived first. Generally it makes no difference, but since it is all down to the ground crew/baggage handlers and not the airline, priority tags appear to be more for show than go. I suspect arrival order is more to do with loading at the departure airport, first on equals last off. The only time my bag has come off first was when I just made a flight, so my bag was probably last on (maybe it was added to the hold manually).

With regards to the OP lost bags, the problem comes down to the difference between accountability and responsibility. BA is definitely accountable for the loss and sorting it out, but there are multiple other companies responsible for actually finding and moving the bags (it quickly becomes someone else's problem). I suspect that flying unaccompanied bags is more difficult than it used to be, for justifiable reasons.

I always have Rebound Tags on my hold bags, so in theory they should always come back to me, unless deliberately stolen.
ski holidays
@PowderAdict, it was definitely making a difference by hours at Heathrow during that baggage issue... But that is at their own terminal 5 and I could well imagine it make no odds at a normal airport.
ski holidays
The labels do nothing other than make you feel better, it's all in the barcodes.
snow conditions
endoman wrote:
The labels do nothing other than make you feel better, it's all in the barcodes.

When the automated system is working.... this was down to IT issues, hence it was taking 2-3hrs to get bags from flights to people. It absolutely WAS making a difference during that situation
ski holidays
albob wrote:
@sean1967, Oh dear -- at least you are enjoying the skiing/resort... ;; which accommodation are you staying in (just curious..) ??

I'm in the delightful Garni Schenk. Carlo and family have been superb.

Are you in Selva?
snow conditions
@sean1967, No, Just my Favourite resort - must have stayed there 8 or 9 times (various hotels/garni..)

Have you tried the Baita Pra Valentini for an apres drink (bottom of the short chair Fungeia near your Garni) ? -- usually it is rammed 3 to 5 o'clock
latest report
albob wrote:
@sean1967, No, Just my Favourite resort - must have stayed there 8 or 9 times (various hotels/garni..)

Have you tried the Baita Pra Valentini for an apres drink (bottom of the short chair Fungeia near your Garni) ? -- usually it is rammed 3 to 5 o'clock

It's my favourite place too. When the snow is good and the sun is out, there's nowhere else comes close in my experience.

I was in there yesterday about half 4 for a final few, I'll be there tomorrow no doubt.
ski holidays
@sean1967, snowHead
latest report
Still no bag, no contact from BA.

I'm here until Thursday, I expect never to see it and the contents again.
snow conditions
Quote:

No update from BA. I've no idea how they've managed to make an ahrse of it, my skis made it, my bag did not.

I always cross pack between my suitcase and skis so that if only one of the two turn up then I can carry on with my holiday with the minimal amount of hiring. So some extra base layers, spare gloves, socks underwear etc. and my old salopettes travel with my skis. I wear my ski jacket so that is always going to make it Smile

If I am on a none ski holiday I always but some clean underwear and socks in my hand luggage. If travelling with someone I always cross pack with them.

I would also add that having robust luggage labelling will likely reduce the chances of it getting lost and speed the recovery. I print a sheet on thin card, cut out separate outgoing and return labels (with my name, flight, date of travel and destination address), laminate in a business card pouch, punch a hole in and attach securely to the luggage with quality cotton string (less likely to unravel). I also have inside each piece of luggage a laminated card with my home address. Never have your home address visible on the outside of luggage on your outbound journey (unless you fancy returning home to deal with a burglary). On more than one occasion I have picked my luggage up at an airport minus the tags applied by them.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
'
Not much help to the OP I'm afraid so apologies there, (also great sympathy) but potential loss of luggage and equipment is one reason why I coach it, self drive, or take the train rather than go through the dreadful palaver of flying. I can watch them put my kit under the bus and I can make sure they take it off. On the train we dump it in the baggage space at the end of the carriage within sight for the whole journey. I have experienced two episodes of loosing luggage over the many years, one flying and one on a boat. Thankfully not when skiing though.

But also, coaching is about £200 cheaper and if you go with some firms like Snowcoach you get two extra days skiing in, road traffic permitting. Then there is the extra environmental cost of flying we are all worried about.

Having said that, insurance dealt with everything but it took a while. I can see the OP's worry and dilemma of what to do.

Edit - on both occasions, the luggage never turned up.

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Mon 13-01-20 16:21; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Quote:

I would also add that having robust luggage labelling will likely reduce the chances of it getting lost and speed the recovery. I print a sheet on thin card, cut out separate outgoing and return labels (with my name, flight, date of travel and destination address), laminate in a business card pouch, punch a hole in and attach securely to the luggage with quality cotton string (less likely to unravel). I also have inside each piece of luggage a laminated card with my home address. Never have your home address visible on the outside of luggage on your outbound journey (unless you fancy returning home to deal with a burglary). On more than one occasion I have picked my luggage up at an airport minus the tags applied by them.

100% agree!

I only put my phone number on it though. I figure if the airline label somehow gone missing, they can call me and ask where to send it.
snow report
@TCSC47, a snowHead had a bag go missing on a transfer coach from Arabba to Venice on one occasion. Fortunately at the end of his holiday, but nevertheless it isn't guaranteed that something won't happen.
ski holidays
Hells Bells wrote:
@TCSC47, a snowHead had a bag go missing on a transfer coach from Arabba to Venice on one occasion. Fortunately at the end of his holiday, but nevertheless it isn't guaranteed that something won't happen.

I'm MORE worried on couch transfers, of other customer grabbing my bags by mistake (if the couch make multiple stops).
snow conditions
steve77 - so it seems you are one of the contributing parties to the ever increasing travel insurance costs we all pay.
ski holidays
Hells Bells wrote:
Of course not, but at least I have some control over the situation between UK pick up and the Alps And my other reasons for not flying are still valid.

And I would add, not having to walk past policemen carrying machine guns.
ski holidays
They're unbelievable. Shameless, uncoordinated, disfunctional, clown college of an operation.

https://twitter.com/British_Airways/status/1216697041256140800?s=19

Retweets very welcome please!

At no point have I agreed to go to Venice to collect the bag. I didn't fly to Venice and I will not fly home from Venice!

Regarding labelling, the bag has my name literally interwoven into its very existence, it's an offshore workers' rope and sail holdall with my name embroidered in huge letters. snowHead snowHead snowHead

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Mon 13-01-20 18:09; edited 1 time in total
latest report
@sean1967, unbelievable! I'm getting nervous about my upcoming BA flights now. Shocked
ski holidays
Hurtle wrote:
@sean1967, unbelievable! I'm getting nervous about my upcoming BA flights now. Shocked

I'm sure you'll be fine, very rare bags go missing and they are usually delivered the next day. It happened to me once before in Moscow when I was potless and carefree, klm delivered it to my sketchy hostel the next day without issue.

I think I will now have to buy a bag in which to transport the replacement gear I bought, not much but too much for the space in my carry on bag. Try finding a reasonably priced holdall in Selva! Laughing

I've run up a non trivial amount on my credit card, I don't understand how BA can assume that their passengers have large credit lines available.

There's a few things in that bag that will be difficult to replace, the hip flask my uncle gave me for my 18th.
ski holidays
@sean1967, Sad
snow report
@sean1967, can you access the lost luggage system that most airlines use (probably via BA). If they've given you a reference you can check yourself.
ski holidays
Quote:

Regarding labelling, the bag has my name literally interwoven into its very existence, it's an offshore workers' rope and sail holdall with my name embroidered in huge letters

And that helps get it delivered to the right place how? What I was talking about was making it easy for the airline/airport to ensure it gets to the right place. Given that this going to change every time you fly (well not your home address but see previous comment about home address and outbound travel) having your name embroidered in large letters on the bag does not help. I guess if it had your mobile number they could at least ring you up, and you have to hope they speak English or you speak their language. Better just to have a label that tells them where it is going and is really difficult to come off, unlike the things the airline add to your bag.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy