Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Resort for nervous intermediates with good apres

Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

Looking for ideas for early March, for a group of 3, intermediates who have lost confidence (one had a fall and tore calf muscle last year in st anton) and good apres is preferred.

Looking at possibly 4/5 nights (not sure if we can all make 7 yet)

Ideas welcome
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
First week of March still French school holidays. Crowded pistes bad for nerves. Austria probably better. But you'll have far more choice if you go for a standard week.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I would suggest Courchevel 1850 for several reasons:

- There is a large area of Green runs
- Great Ski Schools, which is probably the most effective way of getting confidence back. I'd recommend Ski Supreme - we had a chap called Scott Freu (?)
- The standard of Pisting is high
- I'm sure the apres is good (but expensive)
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Saalbach could fit the bill
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Courchevel 1850 good after French holidays but stupid expensive.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
pam w wrote:
Courchevel 1850 good after French holidays but stupid expensive.

That's fair comment.....maybe 1550 would be better value and easily linked (though probably best to avoid school holidays).
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thank you for the advice about school holidays- I’ve just googled and these are apparently ending on 6th March - ideally we would be looking to go the weekend beginning 7/8th.
I suspect 1850 hotels (which would be our preferred option) are beyond our budget!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Another vote for Saalbach . IMO French resorts can't touch Austrian resorts for apres .
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Saalbach.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Courmayeur may do the trick
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Old Fartbag wrote:
I would suggest Courchevel 1850 for several reasons:

- There is a large area of Green runs
- Great Ski Schools, which is probably the most effective way of getting confidence back. I'd recommend Ski Supreme - we had a chap called Scott Freu (?)
- The standard of Pisting is high
- I'm sure the apres is good (but expensive)

There is ZERO apres in Courchevel 1850. Just the Ku De Ta and lots of expensive restaurants.

Go to Saalbach, it has everything you want.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
HoneyBunny wrote:

There is ZERO apres in Courchevel 1850. Just the Ku De Ta and lots of expensive restaurants.

Go to Saalbach, it has everything you want.

Interesting.

I'm not interested in Apres Ski, so no first hand knowledge. I simply made an assumption that there would be decent nightlife there. I live and learn.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
^ nope, it's deserted at night. Méribel is probably the apres capital of the 3Vs, followed by Val Thorens.

Austria is really the best place to go (in general) for the best apres ski.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
yet another vote for saalbach, though you had better book asap as not a lot of accomodation in town (saalbach not hinterglem)showing on booking sites
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Saalbach could be good but beware soft /slushy snow at that time of year
latest report
@boo22, 2nd week of March will give you more options. I'd recommend Austria too, so come to Flachau as it has what you're looking for and only a 50 min transfer from Salzburg. Flights as low as 50 quid return from London week 7-14. Sent you a PM.
snow conditions
ski for fun wrote:
yet another vote for saalbach, though you had better book asap as not a lot of accomodation in town (saalbach not hinterglem)showing on booking sites

Why not Hinterglemm?
The Goasstall is as good an apres experience as anywhere, IMO.

My only reservation with the SkiCiircus is whether it’s ideal for nervous intermediates, not many easy blues,. Same with Flachau.
snow conditions
Maybe less apres would make you less nervous. Just a thought.
latest report
somewhere that is not likely to be busy
snow report
Drammeister wrote:
ski for fun wrote:

Why not Hinterglemm?
The Goasstall is as good an apres experience as anywhere, IMO.

My only reservation with the SkiCiircus is whether it’s ideal for nervous intermediates, not many easy blues,. Same with Flachau.

Also Szwarzacker (sp?) for apres in hinterglemm, highly amusing! Went to hinterglemm myself on my third ski trip, following a terrifying long weekend in st Anton, and the blues felt like a blessing... I'd echo the advice to have a couple of lessons to build confidence back up though!

In hinterglemm the zwolferkogel blues were pretty easy, and then going over to leogang and the blues there is bliss. S/H would be good whichever village you stay in I think. Smile
snow conditions
Drammeister wrote:

Agree!! Nervous intermediates my have a bit of a shock when they ski some of the blues in the ski circus. And if they experience the same snow conditions we did in early March, two years in a row, then good luck to them. Though apparently the snow is usually ok at that time of year.

As for Flachau/Wagrain, I found the blues there easier than in the ski circus, though admittedly the snow conditions were far better when I went during a Mid march trip. But there actually weren't that many blues to ski on unfortunately which was a shame.
snow report
Ischgl would be worth a look too - just end your day up the mountain and gondola down.
snow conditions
My vote goes to Italy - apres ski won't break the bank, lunches are great AND affordable. Plus short transfers usually. Sauze has great apres, the Sella Ronda has skiing for all abilities but not great apres - I like both Arabba and Canazei for sheer volume of runs and variety plus a few bars but not wild apres. Personally I'm doing well if I can manage one drink after dinner!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy