Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Logistic help please.

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Booked to be in Flaine at Easter. Kids in morning ski school (finish 12:30). Last day is Friday 10th April. Need to be in Norwich midday Saturday 11th for a wedding. Is it possible/sensible to do leaving after kids ski lesson? I am really reluctant for them to miss a session.

We’re driving. Did look at flights but they are min £700 before car hire/transfers factored in. Would you says it’s possible to have a hotel stop (where is cheapest near tunnel in Calais?)
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Last day of ski school is almost certain to be "ski races" with little extra tuition. Kids might want to do the races, and might pick up tips on technique depending on their level, but if it were me, I would skip the ski school and leave early
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Yes, have car all ready to go, kids lesson finishes at 12:30, aim to be leaving resort by 13:30, Calais by 23:30, land UK, midnight, if tired stay in cheap hotel but if not carry on to Norwich which at that time of night is 3 Hours?

Either way (stopping enroute or at Norwich) gives you’re 6 hours spare.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
We have left Samoens at 9 am one day and had the kids back at school in North Essex the following day, whist towing a large twin axle caravan mid Feb with snow falling, and having had a late evening, but not ridiculously late, arrival home. Flaine to Norwich is doable in one long drive but for your timing there are plenty of cheap overnight stopping places not far from Calais (or just in the UK). Norwich is only about an hours drive further from the tunnel/ports than us. But because what you are suggesting is doable it does not mean I`d choose to do it. There`s a fair chance you will all be too exhausted (well not the kids if they sleep as well as mine did enroute) to enjoy the wedding and it only needs a few little things to go less than perfectly for it not to work.

If the wedding is important skip the last days session. There are always the next set of ski lessons, but only one wedding (well maybe not these days but you get what I mean).
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

If the wedding is important skip the last days session.

This. I have often driven straight through from the Alps, so I have no prejudice against it, but I've always been ready to call a halt if conditions get nasty (tottered into Dijon one evening, in thick freezing fog, having been doing maximum 30 mph in a convoy behind a snowplough on the motorway).

It's not safe to push on, regardless of conditions, because of a deadline you have set yourself.

On the other hand, if weather forecast is good (and you really need a clear starry night for stress-free driving all night on the motorway) you could stay for the ski lesson and push through. Stop regularly for a leg stretch and coffee - every two hours and change drivers - but personally I'd not plan to stop overnight en route, given that timing. Get home and have a few hours. And have all your wedding outfits hanging ready for you at home.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Consider the probability and impact of options:
Late for the wedding.
Kids miss a session.
Have an incident on the way home due to lack of sleep.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
[quote="pam w"]
Quote:

I've always been ready to call a halt if conditions get nasty (tottered into Dijon one evening, in thick freezing fog, having been doing maximum 30 mph in a convoy behind a snowplough on the motorway).

It's not safe to push on, regardless of conditions, because of a deadline you have set yourself.

I think that's the key, plan to go for it, but if need be be prepared to stop and get a room... there's not many places between Flaine and Norwich where you're going to be more than half an hour from a cheap hotel!

Even if you do stop you can still make the wedding the next day!
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thank you all. Good to know it’s possible but I probably should factor in some contingency time and also being able to actually enjoy the wedding. The ski lesson would give valuable child free car packing time!

Children are young and it’s daughters first week of lessons so wanted her to experience as much as possible but she may hate it! I think it’s mainly that the cost of lessons is high now there are 2 of them and getting value for money. I’m sure I will have mellowed out nearer the time!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy