Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Shoulder impingement and frozen shoulder

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Not strictly ski injury... sorry

I had a shoulder impingement starts hurting in May. It progressed very quickly getting worse and worse, August there was a lot of calcium build up and that built up more and more judging by the feel. Physio and painkillers weren’t touching it. Due to level of agony and impact on my life (with how slow NHS referrals- with them cancelling the referral to orthopaedics claiming it wasn’t needed!), I ended up self funding and had decompression surgery and MAU on 23rd Dec. He didn’t know if the shoulder was frozen or not or if it was just the pain response but turned out it had become it.

Has anybody had similar? How quickly after surgery did your shoulder feel normal? Think I have probably just over down it by edging and waxing my skis yesterday (along with lots of house work etc).... keen to hear others experience.

Thanks
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
NickyJ wrote:
Has anybody had similar?

Yes, both sides - a couple of years apart - triggered by impacts (one whilst skiing!).

First one took the NHS 2 years to sort out with (eventually) a decompression as bone spurs were developing by the time they got around to x-raying it. Second one was less severe as I had all the physio notes from the 1st injury and self-treated while waiting nearly 9 months to be "urgently" triaged for physio!

NickyJ wrote:
How quickly after surgery did your shoulder feel normal?

Pain free 48 hours after (keyhole) surgery. Took a few weeks to get back up to strength but...

NickyJ wrote:
Think I have probably just over down it by edging and waxing my skis yesterday (along with lots of house work etc)

Yeah, that doesn't sound like a great recovery plan... Very Happy

Stuff that worked for me, both alleviating pain before surgery and recovery after (YMMV) :-
- Improving posture and sitting properly at desk/PC (takes pressure off your shoulders).
- Pendulum arm swing exercises to gently mobilize joint a couple of times a day.
- Elliptical cross-trainer (mobilization and low-impact conditioning).

Both shoulders now stronger than before, but still get the occasional twinge. Always careful to warm shoulders up before skiing now; you'll definitely feel a poorly-timed pole plant!

HTH.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@J2Dave, thanks. Well the consultant did say after 48hrs get it moving and using it as much as possible... Happy

I am certainly not pain free but I also have quite a lot of bruising which I guess is from the manipulation which is the complication I didn’t have when I had the straight decompression on the other shoulder.

Certainly compared to the pain before surgery it is a lot less and very different.

I have 6 weeks to get fit!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy