Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Saalbach gentler blues

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi,
I’m looking for recommendations for the gentler blues to start my holiday in Saalbach. Any suggestions on good runs for a timid intermediate please.
Staying in Saalbach, near Kohlmaisbahn lift.
Thank you, KarenF
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
If my memory serves me right then the most gentle "cruisey" blues were between Saalbach and over to Vorderglemm, particularly around the Magic 6er chair and Polten 8er. There was also some lovely blues on the way down to Leogang.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Karenf, by far the best piste to start on is 146 at the top of the Bernkogel 6er, with the option of 147 for a change of scenery. These pistes are definitely easier than any blues accessible immediately from the Kohlmaisbahn. A beginner was with us during Christmas week and had a great time, mainly skiing these pistes with a couple of variations later in the week.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Agreed on the runs to Leogang, and those on the upper part of the Maiskogel. Avoid 152a after noon, as it can get very challenging if it becomes mogulled or slushy and is frequently carnage once the ski school graduates are allowed out from about Wednesday onwards. The Turmweise learner slope might look tempting, but it is busy most of the time, and has the poorest conditions on account of being low and south facing.

The Bernkogel lift is your best bet for starters - the upper part is very mild, and the lower is relatively easy.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thank you, sounds like I have a plan for day one and two at least.
Don’t need learner slopes, just not steep for the first few days! My ski partner is super fit and braver than me so I’m at least ready with a plan
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@Karenf, welcome to snowheads!

later in the week take blue 80 and stop at Reiteralm for a great lunch
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Will do thanks
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
ousekjarr wrote:
Agreed on the runs to Leogang, and those on the upper part of the Maiskogel. Avoid 152a after noon, as it can get very challenging if it becomes mogulled or slushy and is frequently carnage once the ski school graduates are allowed out from about Wednesday onwards. The Turmweise learner slope might look tempting, but it is busy most of the time, and has the poorest conditions on account of being low and south facing.

The Bernkogel lift is your best bet for starters - the upper part is very mild, and the lower is relatively easy.

Maiskogel? Isn’t that at Kaprun?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Yup - I meant Kohlmais...
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
ousekjarr wrote:
Yup - I meant Kohlmais...

Definitely agree on the runs down towards Leogang. Perhaps stopping at the mid-stations and going back to the top. And the top of the Bernkogel.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Karenf, Copied from the Saalbach thread:

Those that spring to mind are: Piste 4 on Schattberg (especially in the morning), Piste 50 at Hochalm, Piste 152 on Kohlmais, Piste 31/30 on Zwoelferkogel, and Pistes 163 and 169 at Schoenleiten. In many cases, there are easy ways around the steeper pitches if you look for them.

For example, in the case of piste 31, from the top station of the Zwoelferkogelbahn, you take the little track that goes off to the right, and then bear left, thus going round the steepest section of piste 30. Similarly, at Schoenleiten, take the little track to the left, marked on the piste map as 162b, which takes you directly to the top of piste 163, thus avoiding the steeper pitch of 162.

Always keep a look at for ways of by-passing or traversing the steepest gradients. Another example is the bottom of 146, which has a little track off to the left, which greatly facilitates the trickiest section, and which hardly anyone seems to notice - often it still looks freshly groomed in the late afternoon!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Great tips thank you @tatmantours
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy