Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Seeking Advice: Ski Trip Planning - Dolomites vs. Zermatt in January

Poster: A snowHead

Hi everyone,

I’ve been getting some great advice from this forum in the past, and I really appreciate it. Now, I’m back with another request for some help deciding between two ski trip options for this winter. I’ve booked accommodations with free cancellation until 1st November 2024, so I can easily switch between these two plans.

Option 1:

• We’ll ski in the Dolomites (stay near Rocca Pietore / Badia) in mid-January.
• It involves more driving between resorts and between france and Italy, but the Dolomites offer stunning scenery and excellent skiing.
• The total cost is lower compared to the alternative.

Option 2:

• We’ll ski in Zermatt (Matterhorn) during the same period, staying in Zermatt with 600m to Zermatt Gondola.
• This option is about €600 more expensive, but we’ll have less driving overall.
• I’ve heard that Zermatt can be extremely cold in mid-January, and I’m concerned about the possibility of non-ski days due to poor conditions. Does anyone have experience skiing Zermatt during this time? How bad are the non-ski days? Is the experience worth the extra cost despite the weather risks?

Would love to hear from those who have skied in both places or during that time of year. What would you choose based on these factors?

Thanks so much for your help!

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Thu 17-10-24 11:53; edited 4 times in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
A ski vacation where you need to drive lots of km on narrow icy roads every day is not my idea of fun.
I remember reading you were looking for blue pistes mostly, I think La Villa/Badia might be a much better choice than the remote Rocca Pietore stucked between 2 (very challenging for your level )places, taking into consideration access and slopes alike.
But regardless of that, as an answer to the original question - Zermatt.
You have come a long way and paid a lot for flying driving ski pass etc. €350 to experience the Matterhorn is a worthy price.
Not to mention easy access by train with panoramic windows.
Start with the Sunnega station, if the weather will be bleak don't get to the 4000m glacier.
BUT.... you will have an amazing chance of doing that. On a sunny days, the views are extraordinary. And you will ski Italy as well.

And you can always take the train to Gornergrat. For the views if it's clear. For good skiing down to Riffelalp or even hiking on the snowtrails.
You will also visit the wooden old quarter of Zermatt.
It will cost more than 350€ because food etc costs more in CH but Zermatt is scenic.
Comparing it to Rocca Pietore is like comparing an Italian Vespa scooter to a Lamborghini.
It is an amazing experience beyond skiing. Take walking shoes in your backpack for the afternoons, return late to Tasch after you have strolled across all Zermatt including the early alpinists graveyard and the posh restaurants by the river
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
How far is Zermatt Gondola from Zermatt station. We will be taking train everyday from Täsch to Zermatt? Is it feasible or too much of a pain?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@ankitind,
There are three different base stations in Zermatt.
There is a slow but very attractive railway quite close to the station.
A cablecar towards the glacier which is a long walk in ski boots and a funicular which is an intermediate distance around 5-600 meters at a guess.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Go to Zermatt when you have the budget. Don’t stay in Täsch.
It’s unattractive, and you’ll get very tired of the train+lift twice a day
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Another thread excellent Laughing Laughing

As @drporat says, food in Zermatt will be substantially more than in the Dolomites. There's a McDonald's in Zermatt, but even that is around €15/20 for a meal. You'll do well to get a pizza anywhere for less than about €20.

Täsch isn't ideal as a base, as you have probably at least 30 minutes to get on to a lift by the time you get the train to Zermatt, and then jump in a bus to the gondola, unless you're heading up Sunnegga or Gornergrat which are near the main station. That said, Täsch is much cheaper than Zermatt i'd imagine.

I'll still stand by my previous point to you, that, with the standard of skiing ability you've described yourself at, the Dolomites are ideal for you.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Interesting. The very well informed local advice here is that both your accommodation options add up to unsatisfactory ways of skiing two fantastic locations. That might be why you were able to find low cost, cancellable, accommodation options. Though if the prices seemed too good to be true you might find that the "cancel" option works both ways. wink
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@swskier @drporat In India, we don’t have ratings like in Europe, so I’m sharing a video from our last vacation in Gulmarg.

Skiing in Gulmarg Video Link

We are also planning to enroll in the ESF ski school in Chantemerle and Les Menuires.

I’m considering splitting 12 days in Zermatt into 7 days at Tignes Val Claret and 5 days in Zermatt, staying 600m from the Matterhorn Express Gondola. Though it’s a bit expensive, it might save us 700-800 km of driving over 2-3 days.

Any advice on this? Is Tignes similar to 3 Vallées?
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
There is a free and efficient ski bus system (2 colours) in Zermatt.
It is less important to be close to a specific mountain station, better be close to a bus station.
Personally I am fond of Excelsior and Perren hotels, regarding position and views.
3V has more mileage and more lower altitude tree lined slopes.
I love Tignes, especially Val Claret but in a storm you will be limited and need to take the free bus to Tignes le Lac in order to ski down towards Les Brevieres.
Meribel for instance will offer more choices
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I have couple of questions?

1. Is a week in Tignes worth after spending a week in 3 Vallees (Les Menuires)? Is Tignes similar to 3 Vallées?
2. If I have to go back from Zermatt to Malpensa Airport (Milan), will Autoverlad Simplon railway is a good option or I have drive over the pass around last week of Jan?
3. Does it makes more sense to split time between Tignes/Val d'Isère and Zermatt or better spend entire 12 says in Zermatt with few days of transfer to Italian side?
4. How are roads in 2nd week of Jan between Tignes and Täsch?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I would say Tignes is fairly similar to 3V , slight problem in Jan if you are unlucky is that it is without any trees or shelter which can make for bleak conditions if you have adverse weather.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
ankitind wrote:

We are also planning to enroll in the ESF ski school in Chantemerle and Les Menuires.

You may want to check out this thread https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=170464
Other ski schools are available
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I have some Zermatt advice having stayed a week in Jan 2023 and a week in Jan 2021. In Jan 2021 I had a week of fine weather with no issues. Jan 2023 the week was fine but extremely cold. The upper lifts and the link to Cervinia closed most days not due to wind or weather but simply because they decided the cold was too dangerous. Talking -20 at the top of the lifts that remained open, so colder than that up higher.

if staying in Tasch work out how to leave skis and books in Zermatt - it will make your life much easier and more pleasant. There are ski lockers but I haven't used them.

Also, Zermatt can work out Ok price-wise if you take a half board ski week package at one of the three star hotels. A couple have been mentioned (Excelsior and Perren) and add the Hotel Bristol and Butterfly to your list. Look under special offers on their websites for the packages.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
We will be staying in Zermatt only and taking 5 day consecutive ski-pass. Only last day when we checkout - we will stay in Tasch, so that next morning we can start our journey to Malpensa Airport using Autoverlad Simplon railway
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@T_Bar - you mean Tignes is not that much after we have already spend 7 days in 3 Vallees? In that case, I think out Option 1 - makes more sense , going to Dolomites and staying there for around 2 weeks.
snow report
How will you be traveling between the different resorts? By rental car? If so, will you be keeping that rental car all the time?

I'm asking because it might be (a lot) cheaper to not rent a car and instead use public transportation (the railway system in Switzerland is excellent!) and/or taxi services.
And you don't have to worry about the conditions on the road.
latest report
@skiwi22 - I have already paid for 220euros for winter tyres and I don’t think it would be refundable.

Initially the plan was to spend last 2 weeks in Dolomites, where car would have been useful. But now I have to 150Euros to park the car in Tasch car park near the station.

Car rental is now part of the itinerary. And that’s also a reason to skip Tignes and Zermatt and go to Dolomites instead
snow conditions
ankitind wrote:
@T_Bar - you mean Tignes is not that much after we have already spend 7 days in 3 Vallees? In that case, I think out Option 1 - makes more sense , going to Dolomites and staying there for around 2 weeks.

Tignes is an excellent resort and I'm not criticizing it as such but there is not a lot of variety compared with the 3V and it can be bleak in poor weather. The Dolomites are a bit special particularly for scenery also if you like food at a reasonable price. .
A large amount depends on personal preference and others may differ but If I was to have a trip round Europe I'd rather spend some of it in the Dolomites than add a further French resort to the other two.
latest report
@T_Bar this is helpful. I would have enjoyed food more if I was traveling with my wife. My son is not the one who enjoy food that much. He just want to ski day in and day out.

But I think, we can stick to Option and keep Dolomites as planned. Change in scenery and slopes would be nice .

Matterhorn has to wait - it seems.
snow conditions
ankitind wrote:
@skiwi22 - I have already paid for 220euros for winter tyres and I don’t think it would be refundable.

Initially the plan was to spend last 2 weeks in Dolomites, where car would have been useful. But now I have to 150Euros to park the car in Tasch car park near the station.

Car rental is now part of the itinerary. And that’s also a reason to skip Tignes and Zermatt and go to Dolomites instead

Ok, that's a fair reasoning. Then my next question would be "Why not skip Chantemerle and Les Menuires and combine Zermatt with the Dolomites?" Between Zermatt and the Dolomites, you could even add a stop in St. Moritz
ski holidays
ankitind wrote:
I have couple of questions?

3. Does it makes more sense to split time between Tignes/Val d'Isère and Zermatt or better spend entire 12 says in Zermatt with few days of transfer to Italian side?

I enjoy returning to Zermatt but I would never stay there for more than a week, including hiking with my non skiing OH.
You are coming a long way, try to fit smth else for 5-6 days after Zermatt.
Aosta in Italy is 3 hrs drive. A nice Italian city, gondola to Pila.
snow report
@skiwi222

My son, who has skied in Gulmarg Skiing in Gulmarg Video Link, wanted to try the largest ski resort in the world – 3 Vallées. He was determined to do it at any cost.

Secondly, the accommodation in 3 Vallées was not available around New Year, so we had to pick Chantemerle. I also found the slopes there to be more beginner-friendly, and I enrolled him in a 5-day ESF ski school. Once he gains confidence skiing the red slopes in Serre Chevalier, we plan to hit the slopes of 3 Vallées.

After that, we have two options, as I mentioned in my first post: either Tignes or Chamonix and Zermatt. Tignes seems like a good choice, as our accommodation is in Val Claret, very close to the lifts. The other option is staying near Rocca Pietore and Badia and covering 5-6 resorts, spending most of the time in Val Gardena and Alta Badia.
snow conditions
I saw your thread on Reddit r/skiing. I think that you will get decent suggestions here versus the more US focussed reddit.
ski holidays
Thanks, everyone, for your valuable suggestions. We are extremely grateful and appreciate all your input.

Here’s our updated plan (in order):

6-Day Ski Passes for 4 Resorts:

• Serre Chevalier (France)
• 3 Vallées (France)
• Zermatt (Switzerland)
• Dolomites (Italy)

Base Cities for Skiing:

• Briançon
• Les Menuires
• Zermatt
• Badia

Midway Cities to Cut Travel Times Between Resorts:

• Susa, Italy
• Praz-sur-Arly (near Chamonix), France
• Bolzano, Italy
• Affi (near Verona), Italy

We will pick up and drop off our rental car at Malpensa Airport.

ski holidays
My comments on plan no.567 for your trip!! wink

1. It's still a lot of driving through some potentially very snowy places and you're spending a fortune on liftpasses when you could get an area season pass if you stuck to one region/country. It's all madness to us, but I get you're coming a long way, catering to a 10yo's whims and want to 'do the Alps' in a month! snowHead

2. I believe the road between Albertville and Praz-sur-Arly is currently closed due to a rockfall, as noted by @Origen on another thread. Hopefully it will open before winter!

https://www.savoie.fr/web/sw_142345/gorges-de-l-arly-le-planning-de-reouverture-de-la-rd-1212-bouscule

Says it will remain closed untill second half of November! Confused

BTW, Praz-sur-Arly is a ski resort linked in to the very pretty Espace Diamant ski area and a stone's throw from Megeve which is equally nice! Cool

https://www.bergfex.com/skiregionen/espace-diamant/

https://www.bergfex.com/megeve/

3. The Simplon Pass is kept open during winter, but is subject to closure if there's a heavy snowfall. In those cases, you can pay to use the rail tunnel to cross into Italy. You might want to do that anyway even if it's open! That will be a long day getting out of Zermatt and driving via the Simplon to Bolzano! Shocked

4. No-one can tell you exactly how cold it will be in Zermatt in January as the weather is different every year. I went in early Jan and it was sunny and calm and was able to ski over to Italy most days. You do reach 3,800m on the Klein Matterhorn between Zermatt & Cervinia, the highest lift-served skiing in the Alps, so cold, wind and lack of oxygen can sometimes be a bit of an issue at that altitude.

5. Zermatt is special place and would be worth the effort/expense of leaving the car at Tasch for the week, if you have been able to secure accommodation for sensible money in the village not too far from the gondola at the far end of the village. But it might be easier/cheaper for your routing to stay in Cervinia and ski over to Zermatt. The skiing is generally easier in the Cervinia bowl, more suited to intermediates anyway. You can see the back of the Matterhorn in Cervinia, but the iconic views at the Zermatt sign near Schwarzsee are easily reached from Italy if you have the International pass.

https://maps.app.goo.gl/NGViu2cpnAVDR2PA7

6. Badia...good spot to hit the Sella Ronda, Hidden Valley, Cinque Torri, Cortina, Kronplatz, etc plenty to keep you busy all week! You might find it easier to drive to Corvara, Colfosco, La Villa, Piculin, Falzarego, etc in the morning, depending on where you're heading, rather than trying to ski over/catch shuttles from Badia. Check out the Ustaria Posta youTube videos I linked before for ideas on routes, bearing in mind just how fast those kids and their dad ski! Cool

7. Assuming that is your son in the video, he is more than a beginner, he's early intermediate, parallel turning on a lumpy, moderate slope. After a few more private lessons to brush up on technique and a bit more practice, he should be fine for blues and reds all over the resorts you plan to visit. The question is, will you be able to keep up with him?? I struggled with my 10yo who was tackling moguls at the end of his first week Laughing

8. I'll leave it there until the next plan and thread emerges!! wink Laughing Laughing
snow report
@Luigi - I truly appreciate all your suggestions and advice. They’ve been incredibly insightful and have helped me refine our plans in ways I hadn’t considered before.

1. While I’ve tried to reduce the amount of driving as much as possible, I think I can comfortably manage 200-300 km of driving every 6th or 7th day.

The roads in Europe, from what I’ve experienced so far, are in exceptional condition—especially when compared to the narrow, single-lane mountain passes at 5000 meters in the Himalayas, where traffic can be unpredictable.

So, the driving here seems much more manageable.

2. I’ll definitely pay close attention to the road conditions, particularly around the Albertville area, as you suggested.

If the weather or traffic poses any challenges, we’ll use the rail-carriage option or consider rerouting through Geneva.

For the longest drive of the trip, I’m planning to take the Autoverlad Simplon railway, which should make the journey smoother and less stressful.

3. We’ve managed to book a wonderful and affordable place near the Luchre bus station in Zermatt, where we’ll be staying for 7 nights.

If the weather is favorable, we’re hoping to take a short trip into Italy for 1-2 days—spending one day skiing in Cervinia and another in Valtournenche. If not, we’re more than happy to spend all our days skiing in Switzerland, which should be spectacular in itself.

4. In Badia, I’m planning to use the car to travel between resorts. I’d like to spend 2-3 days skiing in Val Gardena and Alta Badia, and another day exploring Kronplatz or a similar resort.

I’ve heard great things about the diversity of the slopes in these areas, so we’re really excited to experience them firsthand.

5. My son and I have enrolled in the ESF ski school in Serre Chevalier, and I’m optimistic that he’ll progress quickly with their guidance. He’s quite energetic and eager to improve his skills. If necessary, I’ll arrange for him to get a few more lessons in Les Menuires as well.

I have to admit, I’m a little worried about keeping up with him—he’s full of energy and never seems to get tired, while I’m bracing myself for the challenge!
latest report
@ankitind, it will be an extraordinary journey. Bring good Spotify/Apple Music playlists and take plenty of photos,
Will be nice if you'll be able to upload a trip report while there
See for example
https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=5020479&highlight=trip+report#5020479
snow report
@drporat - Sure, I’ll do that. My 10-year-old son has already curated his playlists for the drive and picked out the movies he plans to watch as his version of après-ski.

Surviving Marvel and Transformers movies every day isn’t going to be easy!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@ankitind,

1. Yes, it's a lot of driving , but all doable and will be a big adventure. You're stopping in some amazing places and some of the scenery in between is spectacular.

2. Weather may get in the way of your driving plans, but it may not. Sounds like you'll be prepared to be flexible either way. If you get snow on ski days, stay low and in the trees if possible. It's horrible in a whiteout! Shocked

3. OK, nice! It's a bus stop, not a station, but you can hop on one of the little electric buses that run around Zermatt, will take you to the Matterhorn gondola.

If the weather is fine, you need to go over to Italy, amazing views and a long run down to Cervinia, even further to Valtournenche. Chalet Etoile is a nice place to eat.

https://maps.app.goo.gl/dVCAm8EycMcUUV1r7

4. Should be great, I think you will like it, it's my favourite area to ski! snowHead

5. I expect they will put you in different groups, they don't mix adults & kids. If he's as enthusiastic as you say, he will be flying after a few days! Laughing

Have a great trip!! snowHead
snow report
@Luigi – You’re absolutely right about the ESF Ski School. I’ve booked separate half-day lessons for both of us, spanning five days. I’m really hoping this helps both of us improve, especially me, as my son - he’s already full of energy and eager to learn!

I was also considering your advice regarding Zermatt. I’m thinking of carrying our regular boots in our backpacks while skiing so that we can switch out of our ski boots when walking through the streets. I’ve seen a few videos of people doing the same, carrying their ski boots while strolling around town, and it seemed like a practical solution. Do you think this would work well, or do you have a better suggestion? I’d love to hear any tips you might have!
snow report
ankitind wrote:
@Luigi – You’re absolutely right about the ESF Ski School. I’ve booked separate half-day lessons for both of us, spanning five days. I’m really hoping this helps both of us improve, especially me, as my son - he’s already full of energy and eager to learn!

I was also considering your advice regarding Zermatt. I’m thinking of carrying our regular boots in our backpacks while skiing so that we can switch out of our ski boots when walking through the streets. I’ve seen a few videos of people doing the same, carrying their ski boots while strolling around town, and it seemed like a practical solution. Do you think this would work well, or do you have a better suggestion? I’d love to hear any tips you might have!

That's great! You will be able to compare notes at lunchtime and practice together in the afternoon. snowHead

I would hate skiing with a backpack full of boots, but it's up to you.

The part of Zermatt where you are staying is quite hilly, but if you catch the electric bus to and from the lift, you won't need to change into different footwear.

Maybe you can catch the bus/walk in the town later in normal clothes and footwear.

Be prepared for Swiss prices! Shocked
snow report
ankitind wrote:

Most people will have stored their street shoes in a locker or with the shop where they rented their skis, not skied around all day with them! While many people do carry a backpack while skiing, more typically they are carrying a spare goggle lens, spare gloves, maybe a thin down vest in case it gets colder, water & some sandwiches/snacks. These are all thin or compressible items (or consumed over the course of the day). Wearing a full backpack (with 2 pairs of winter boots!) will affect your centre of gravity and in turn impede your skiing.

Better to rent a locker: They cost CHF12 for a 24hr period and you can also leave your skis there overnight, so you'll get good value out of the locker rental. They are rather fancy & heated, so you'll have nice warm&dry boots every morning, and you won't have to carry your skis around either. https://www.matterhornparadise.ch/en/experience/skiing/ski-locker

The other suggestion: buy Yaktrax/Cattracks, which are basically rubber spikes that you fit over the sole of your ski boot. They make it much easier to walk around in your skiboots by adding some much needed traction. Much easier to carry in your jacket pocket, or won't add much bulk if you're carrying a backpack.

Also: I know you've mentioned buying skis at Decathlon at the start of the trip, but one big advantage to renting skis: most rental shops provide storage for street shoes/boots. Second advantage: with the progress you're likely to make over the course of this trip, given your investment in lessons, the skis that suit you as a novice/low intermediate at the start of the trip may feel limiting by the last week once you are a solid intermediate with better technique.

(Since you are starting your trip in Serre Chevalier, you might want to check this useful thread on bootfitters in Serre Chevalier & book a fitting ahead of time https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=162376. While it will likely be expensive, it would be a really good investment at the start of your trip to get boots that are properly fitted. Good skiing starts from the feet upwards, and you'll get the best from your lessons if you build from a strong foundation! Won't be able to "level up" if you can't release your edges etc because your foot moves inside of an ill-fitting boot rather than moving the ski.

Might be worth the gamble on renting boots&skis for 1-2 days for your initial lesson and then asking your instructor's advice/introduction to a good ski shop. At least read the different threads on the Decathlon Wedze skiboots e.g. at least a few years ago, they were all wide fit shells, and consider if they are going to work for you. If you have narrow or low volume feet, it will hold you back if your foot is slopping around in the boot even if the length is correct. Sometimes all you need is a better footbed that helps hold your heel more securely etc. )

Anyway, it looks like have settled on a great itinerary & I look forward to seeing a trip report! (Btw, someone from Dubai was asking about skiing in Georgia over in r/skiing a few days ago - a good chance for you to reciprocate and answer a question for a change Very Happy )

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Sat 19-10-24 23:07; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Must say whilst I don't think carrying shoes/boots when skiing would affect balance or be particularly difficult I don't see any advantage in carrying both skis poles and boots around to wear shoes.
ski holidays
Dear @luigi, @T_Bar, and @AndreaC,

Thank you all so much for your valuable insights and advice! I really appreciate the time you took to share your thoughts with us. It’s been incredibly helpful as we finalize plans for our trip, and we’re grateful for your guidance. After carefully considering your suggestions, I’ve decided not to carry snow shoes in our backpacks. Instead, we will rely on the Red Line E-Buses from the gondola stops to the Luchre bus-stop. We’ll change into our normal gear at the accommodation and then set off to explore the city comfortably. That sounds much more practical, and we’re excited to take it easy while discovering the local sights.

For the other resorts like Briançon and Les Menuires, we’re fortunate to have ski-in and ski-out access, so things should run smoothly there. We won’t have to worry about shuttles or trekking too far with our gear, which is a big relief. As for Badia, we’ll be keeping our ski gear and street gear handy in the car, so we’ll always be ready to hit the slopes whenever we’re in the mood. We’re hoping most of the parking lots in the Dolomites offer ski-in and ski-out convenience as well, but even if they don’t, we’ll make the best of it. It’s all part of the adventure, right?

@AndreaC, You advice of not buying gears in this trip makes great sense. And after giving it more thought, we’ve decided not to purchase the ski gear this time around. Since we’re still learning the ropes, it might be better to hold off for now. However, we were thrilled to find that Decathlon Navora offers fantastic ski gear rentals at really reasonable rates! They’re conveniently located just 10-15 km from Malpensa Airport, which makes things so much easier for us. We can pick up our rentals the day we land in Milan and return them just before we head back. This saves a lot of time and hassle, especially since we won’t have to deal with multiple rental shops across different resorts. The pricing is also great – skis and boots for around €200 per person for 30 days seems a good deal.

While this plan isn’t perfect and might require a bit of flexibility, we think it’s a practical solution for now. We’ll just rent once and carry the gear with us in the car throughout the trip. We do realize that Zermatt might be a bit trickier with this setup, but we’re sure the breathtaking views of the Matterhorn will more than make up for any inconvenience. We can’t wait to experience it in person!

On a side note, we’ve been trying to find the thread on Georgia but haven’t had any luck. Our trip to Georgia was such a special memory, especially since our daughter was able to join us. We had such an amazing time together, and it’s a trip we’ll always cherish. Unfortunately, she won’t be able to come along with us on this year’s Alps adventure due to her school and competitive exams, which is a bit bittersweet. It would’ve been lovely to have her with us on what’s shaping up to be our biggest ski trip yet, but we’re still very excited about the journey ahead.

Once again, I really want to thank all of you for your advice, your kindness, and the time you’ve taken to help me navigate this planning process. It’s been an absolute pleasure hearing from you and learning from your experiences. I am eagerly looking forward to this adventure, and I’ll definitely keep your tips in mind along the way. Your input has made a world of difference!
ski holidays
Oh, the question over at Reddit was titled "Any cheap ski trip options" - Georgia wasn't in the title, so not the easiest to find!

That's a great find re: renting at Decathlon & I'm relieved that you've found good value ski in/out options - it's good to cut down the daily when you have some longer drives between resorts. (I think the collective horror here about your planned driving distances is cultural though - Americans on Reddit routinely ask how to put together an itinerary for all 4-5 Ikon resorts in a 2 week trip...)

Closer to the time, make sure you ask the folks here about best stops for hot chocolate in the Dolomites - have seen some fun discussion on that topic & I bet any 10yo will be very happy with the results!
snow report
ankitind wrote:
we’ll be keeping our ski gear and street gear handy in the car, so we’ll always be ready to hit the slopes whenever we’re in the mood.

Top tip: DON'T LEAVE YOUR SKI BOOTS IN THE CAR AT NIGHT! The cold of the night will make them very hard and inflexible (and uncomfortably cold), and there's even a chance you can't manage to get your feet into them (I'm talking from experience Embarassed )

One tip that I can also give you: NEVER drive on Saturdays! That's the day when everybody wants to get in or out of the ski resorts and as a result, there's a huge chance of major traffic jams. I'd recommend driving on Sundays, also because there are virtually no trucks or commuters on the road on Sundays
snow report
@skiwi222 - Thanks for the great tips! I definitely won’t be leaving the ski boots or skis in the car overnight anymore. We’ll make sure to bring them inside or use a ski room if available—keeping them warm for the next day sounds like a small detail that will make a big difference.

As for the driving, we’re only on the road on Saturday for the first leg of the trip, going from Malpensa airport to Susa. After that, it’s mostly weekday driving, so I think we’ll avoid the traffic. Funny enough, most of our driving is actually going to be on Sundays. Didn’t plan it that way, but I guess we got lucky! Thanks again for the heads-up—it’ll definitely help us plan better.
snow report
ankitind wrote:
4. In Badia, I’m planning to use the car to travel between resorts. I’d like to spend 2-3 days skiing in Val Gardena and Alta Badia, and another day exploring Kronplatz or a similar resort.
I’ve heard great things about the diversity of the slopes in these areas, so we’re really excited to experience them firsthand.

ankitind wrote:
As for Badia, we’ll be keeping our ski gear and street gear handy in the car, so we’ll always be ready to hit the slopes whenever we’re in the mood. We’re hoping most of the parking lots in the Dolomites offer ski-in and ski-out convenience as well, but even if they don’t, we’ll make the best of it. It’s all part of the adventure, right?

For Val Gardena, you can ski over from Colfosco or Corvara using the Sella Ronda Green (anti-clockwise) route, no need to drive over the pass to Selva.

When skiing over to other valleys around the Sella Ronda, you just need to be aware to get back to your home valley (Alta Badia in your case) by mid-afternoon. If you get stuck in the wrong valley when the lifts close, it's an expensive taxi ride home. Occasionally when it's windy, the Sella Ronda is marked as closed on the information boards on the lifts. Closed in the sense that either one vital link is already shut or they can't guarantee that it will remain open later in the day, so they advise you not to leave your home valley.

There are car parks near the lifts in most villages, most are payable, so the most you should have to walk is across a car park. Some car parks are smaller and might fill up early though. There are a few free places away from the villages, usually a layby where you can ski over to a piste, but these fill up super-early. Blue lines means a payable car park in Italy. Usually signs as well. Pay at a kiosk or at a machine. Sometimes there's a barrier where you collect a ticket and pay at a machine before you leave. Most take cards these days. Buses, taxis, horse tow all want cash payment.

Here are some main car parks that you might use, depending on where you are heading:

-La Villa https://maps.app.goo.gl/zK49v2KvE6AsnzMq8

-Corvara https://maps.app.goo.gl/4uxHkWxYajd6vLjZ7

-Colfosco https://maps.app.goo.gl/wUr591m3YVbF57F87

-San Cassiano https://maps.app.goo.gl/zK49v2KvE6AsnzMq8

-Passo Falzarego https://maps.app.goo.gl/zK49v2KvE6AsnzMq8

-Piculin (for Kronplatz) https://maps.app.goo.gl/UwyWHb2xJBT7Lp8N8

-Cortina (Son dei Prade for Tofana sector) https://maps.app.goo.gl/NhAh9w6uoc9xoL92A

Just to give you some ideas for routes when you're in Badia:

-Santa Croce church above Badia. Local runs are a good place to stay on a bad weather day.

-Alta Badia- Blue heaven. Catch the lift up at La Villa and get lost in the maze of runs on the Pralongia plateau.

-Sella Ronda, you can go both ways, green or orange. You can use it to access other valleys like Val Gardena or Arabba. In Val Gardena, the Seceda area and the run down to Ortisei (La Longia aka James Bond run) are worth doing. You need to use the underground funicular at Santa Cristina to cross the valley for this. Also a nice area of gentle blues above Plan de Gralba/Piz Seteur (can be explored when passing on Sella Ronda).

https://www.bergfex.com/sellaronda-dolomiten/panorama/

-Edelweiss Valley above Colfosco (small diversion with nice runs and great views from restaurants, can be done as a side shoot off the Sella Ronda)

-Hidden Valley (also known as Lagazuoi or Armentarola run). You can get a taxi bus from Hotel Armentarola up to Passo Falzarego. At the end of the run a Horse tow takes you back (almost) to Armentarola.

-Kronplatz, you can park at Piculin, though the runs over to San Vigilio from there are quite steep. Hopefully you can cope with a steep red by then, but you can always go down on the lift if you don't want to ski.

-Marmolada, highest point in the Dolomites and long, long, thigh-burning red run down. You need a clear sunny day for this. Skiing inside low cloud is miserable!

-Sass Pordoi, another high point with spectacular views. No run down though! (can be done as a side shoot off the Sella Ronda)

-Cortina d'Ampezzo-a little more complicated. The nearest point to access is Passo Falzarego where there is a paid car park and a few free spaces. This is where the cablecar for the Hidden Valley is, but you need to ski down to Bai de Dones to catch the Cortina Skyline to access the Tofana sector. You can also drive down to Son dei Prade and park there (might be free).

There's loads to do and you won't be able to do everything in the area in a week. You need good weather for most of it. No point going high or to another valley if the weather is bad, stay local!

Hope this helps!! snowHead
snow report
luigi wrote:

-Marmolada, highest point in the Dolomites and long, long, thigh-burning red run down. You need a clear sunny day for this. Skiing inside low cloud is miserable!

Great and informative post
Just to point out even if the clod is high the light on the glacier can be very flat indeed if not actually sunny. Very fine views from the top if the weather is good though.
ski holidays
hi @luigi and everyone

Thank you so much for all your helpful insights! We truly appreciate the effort and detail you put into your recommendations. Based on what you’ve suggested, we’ve put together a 6-day itinerary for our time in the Dolomites, and we're really excited about it!

Here's what we're thinking - borrowed from @luigi ideas: Razz

Day 1: Sella Ronda Green Loop with Marmolada
We'll kick things off by starting the Sella Ronda Green loop. We'll begin our adventure at the Borest Corvara-Colfosco Gondola, parking at Str. Burjé, 10 Parking (thank you for the recommendation!).
Parking location: Str. Burjé, 10 Parking (10 km from our accommodation)

Day 2: Sella Ronda Orange Loop with Sass Pordoi
The next day, we plan to switch things up and take on the Sella Ronda Orange loop, starting from Boe-Campolongo Gondola.
Parking location: Same spot as Day 1 – Str. Burjé, 10 Parking (10 km from our accommodation)

Day 3: Lagazuoi / Hidden Valley Run / Armentarola
We’re really excited about this one! We plan to combine a few more ski runs if possible and make the most of the day.
Parking location: Piz Sorega (18 km from our accommodation)

Day 4: Selva/Ortisei – Sunny Side of Val Gardena
This will be a fun exploration day in Val Gardena. We'll park at St. Christina to start.
Parking location: St. Christina (30 km from our accommodation)

Day 5: Explore Kronplatz
We’ve heard amazing things about Kronplatz and can’t wait to hit the slopes here! We’ll park at Piccolino.
Parking location: Parking Kronplatz (13 km from our accommodation)

Day 6: Cortina d’Ampezzo
We’re planning to spend our last day skiing around Cortina, specifically the Son dei Prade for the Tofana sector. After skiing, we’ll be driving to Verona in the evening, and won't come back to Badia.
Parking location: Cortina (Son dei Prade) (50 km from our accommodation)

---

What do you think of the itinerary?
Do you think it covers a nice balance of the region?

I was also wondering if we could squeeze in the Super 8 circuit, or is that too much?

Again, thank you so much for your suggestions! We’re staying in Badia, so if you have any more tips or think we could tweak something, we’re definitely open to ideas. Very Happy

Looking forward to hearing from you!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy