Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Shovel and probe for USA inbounds off-piste?

Poster: A snowHead
@betterinblack, that's why I said 'unlikely' rolling eyes wink

@philwig, someone posted this a fee years back, but it's a long way from being a normal occurrence I think.

http://youtube.com/v/0jvEYzh_1Sg
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
https://www.outsideonline.com/2407741/silver-mountain-idaho-inbounds-avalanche
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
If you are skiing in bounds tree wells are something you should consider. Much more likely to kill you than an inbounds slide, but still rare. Tend to be a bigger problem early season, and out of bounds where you don't get as much traffic and skier compaction. Most useful bit of kit for avoiding them may be a whistle attached to your jacket zip (fairly common sight in North America), to alert others you need help.

Sad to see what happened in Idaho. However keep in mind the statistics:
Since 2008 14 deaths from in bounds slides (at least some of which were patrol doing any control on areas not open to the public). Average number of skier visits across USA is well over 50million most of those years (plus you would have to add Canadian skier visits to get the true ratio of skier days to inbound slide death).

The odds are so small they don't really seem worth worrying about. More chance of dying in far too many other ways.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:
More chance of dying in far too many other ways.

Like, driving to the mountain
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Wow, 4 times! rolling eyes
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
abc wrote:
Wow, 4 times! rolling eyes

Think it a quadruple 'I told you so' which I don't think is appropriate given the tragic events.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@abc,
Quote:

You just don’t know what you’re talking about.

Did you read first before you post your gibberish?

Sorry old chap, obviously touched a nerve for some reason! But I really do think that if you need to carry a tranny then you need to carry a shovel and probe, even if it is just to gain access.
BTW, I have also skied in NA where there are areas that one needs to carry a tranny to gain access & I take the views mentioned here that this is to try to exclude the less experienced, but for me if I need to carry a tranny then I carry full kit.

The OP was talking about NA where most in bounds is patrolled and are therefore less likely to slide but it goes against everything I have been told by every instructor and guide I have booked during lessons and guiding as well as cat & heli skiing trips.

The OP also mentioned later that he's only taking hand luggage so why not just take the tranny and forget about the shovel & probe? Fine for you, maybe him, but not for me. If I have to carry that crap about with me on the very slim chance that I may have to dig out one of my mates then the least they can do is carry the same crap just in case they have to dig me out.

I have been in resort when slides have covered a piste and I have actually seen an avalanche occur. I have known people that have had to search and dig for others. Really, it is all about respecting the people you slide with and mitigating the (albeit very slim) risks.

Sorry I didn't reply sooner, I was out sliding (without avi gear.)
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
gixxerniknik wrote:

The OP was talking about NA where most in bounds is patrolled and are therefore less likely to slide but it goes against everything I have been told by every instructor and guide I have booked during lessons and guiding as well as cat & heli skiing trips.

Sorry I didn't reply sooner, I was out sliding (without avi gear.)

I'm confused, "it goes against everything I have been told". What is against everything you've been told? Are you saying you don't believe patrolled area are no less likely to slide?

If so, why were you out sliding without avi gear? Puzzled
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Went out in fresh snow to ski inbounds in NA couple of years back. Even though we were staying inside the rope it just didn't feel at all right to me to pick up my fat skis without also picking up my transceiver and rucksack with probe and shovel in. So I did.
I know that inbounds slides are very rare in the US, but I had the gear there, so why wouldn't you carry it? It's not like it makes your day worse for having it...
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
If you require a transceiver then you should also carry probe and shovel. It's almost a question of ethics, regardless of the inbound avalanche controls (yes I've skied N America and I carried them). If you've no room in your hand luggage then pay for a carry on. That's my opinion, take it or leave it, but OP asked for advice.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
This happened yesterday at my home mtn. Only reason he was rescued was a skier just happened to be going by, and saw just his board partially buried under a tree. Very lucky...

https://centraloregondaily.com/%E2%96%B6%EF%B8%8F-recognize-its-real-rescue-at-mt-bachelor-highlights-the-dangers-of-tree-wells-skiing-alone/
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

I'm confused, "it goes against everything I have been told". What is against everything you've been told? Are you saying you don't believe patrolled area are no less likely to slide?

If so, why were you out sliding without avi gear?

Now who's not reading all the post?
It really is very easy to follow. If one needs to wear the tranny then take the shovel and probe too. Regardless of inbounds, out of bounds, off piste or even in the bar!

Maybe I feel this way because I slide in France more than anywhere else, but that opens a whole new can of worms!
ski holidays
But you were sliding WITHOUT your avalanche beacon(AND shovel/probe) inbound in France, even though you don’t believe inbound is no less likely to avalanche?

Do you also believe there as much chance of that happening in the bar too?

After all, you’re responding in a topic about North America. Not France.
latest report
Quote:

But you were sliding WITHOUT your avalanche beacon(AND shovel/probe)

I was, but we were only on piste and the risk was 1 or 2 all week. Not off piste because the conditions were rubbish for it.
ski holidays
Quote:

This is something we British have...it's called humour!
ski holidays
gixxerniknik wrote:
Quote:

This is something we British have...it's called humour!

When you forgot to turn off your beeper. Wink
snow report
Sadly, another inbounds fatality at Alpine Meadows. Heavy snow and winds overnight in Tahoe.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/sheriff-says-several-unaccounted-lake-195400212.html

At least one person has died and another was seriously injured Friday in an avalanche at a Northern California ski resort, authorities said. A search was ended, with officials saying they do not believe there were any more victims.

The avalanche occurred after a storm passed through the area Thursday, dumping large amounts of snow at Squaw Valley-Alpine Meadows, a ski resort in the Lake Tahoe area.

The resort said the avalanche was reported shortly after 10 a.m. in an open area of the resort. One male skier died and a second male skier sustained severe lower body-injuries and was taken to a hospital.
ski holidays
We heard the incident from Squaw. Ski patrol radios going mental and lots of sirens. All rather unpleasant....and we were the only ones with our kit.....one liftie told us of an inbounds incident which took out as several staff a few years ago.......
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy