Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Early teen ski.

Poster: A snowHead
Looking for some advice from those that have been before me. Youngest is outgrowing his old skis Volkl Racetigers 130's (I know they are toy racetigers & not the real thing) but he loves them so much that he wanted to keep them one last season last year.
Now he is 155cm tall I feel they are to short for him & he has said he wants something more able to go off the side more but also be able to ski with me on the piste, so I am thinking all mountain but happy to be corrected.
He's fairly capable on piste but I have zero knowledge about off piste skiing, If I am off piste then I have had a crash...……. He is 155 tall, 56Kg in weight & fairly strong for a 12/13 year old. what would people suggest?
I was thinking black crows Junius, am I way off track with them? also are 150 the right size? it would be good to get 2 years out of them.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Volki Gotoma Juniors really good skis and great for buzzing all over the mountain , do your research . I’m about to but my daughters up for sale and a good price . I Will let you know the size if your interested later today .
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
the Goats sound good.

Think these are a good option:

https://www.ekosport.co.uk/rossignol-sky-7-hd-19-p-V00124914.html?lgw_code=9661-V00124914&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIzfz1tcCM5QIVh7PtCh2yfw3hEAQYASABEgJTYvD_BwE
Sky 7 164cm £252

My kids really enjoyed something similar at that age - carve nicely and float plenty.
164 sounds quite long but he is not a light weight and they are double rockered plus he is growing fast.

My only hesitation is if you want him to be working on his piste technique, in that case I might go a bit narrower.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Jonny996, Are you sure? My teenage boys grew massively between 13-17 which would have meant new skis and more importantly, boots every season for 4 years. OK we could pass them down the line. But seeing as Intersport are doing boots, helmets and skis from €102 per week and you can change them if you're not happy, why would you bother? Oh and factor in €45 each way ski carriage too.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@panaga52, thanks but we have a place out there so no transport & he skis about 3 weeks + 2 weekends per season.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@Jonny996, there's a number of ex-demo skis being sold here that'd be suitable: https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=148894
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@jonny996. Is there life left in the 130 volkls and do you have plans for them? I am looking for a pair of 130 skis for son to train on dry slope. Hence no need for new skis! Many thanks
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Jonny996, Think I sold you the race tigers!
My son went straight on to a pair of Salomon QST 82 (which are now needing replaced)but as I have probably mentioned before he did have a massive, massive growth spurt over a year.
Keep in mind they may grow quickly at that age.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@muppet, that's correct & thanks but those where the 160's that the older boy used & youngster has his eye on them for piste skiing but he also wants something to use off the side more & those race tigers are far to slim for that.
It is also going to be a Christmas present as I can't think of anything else to get him, good to read that people think 160 is not to long for double rocker, I think I will look for something around 80-85 wide & 160ish long
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ha ha, @Jonny996, I saw the headline and your name and was going to post that we picked up the girls - 12.5yr old at the time - some second hand skis at https://shop-skiclinic.fr/?lang=en. They are very happy with them as were our ski instructors friends when they spotted them on the slopes. But then saw that the thread very quickly went all speccy and I was struggling to even remember the brand, let alone any other info! Good luck. I think the girls are going to get Leki poles this Xmas for similar reasons. Need to go and work out how to get the best value, as we always have to buy 2 sets of the same size and have no-one to pass down to!
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Cheesie168, I'll check that link out, thanks as I am certainly open to saving some money, as people say they grow fast. We are getting to the point where we have a stash of skis in cave to chose from but it's always good to have a "go to" set.
Trust me your not missing much not having the pass down option, the smaller one always lets you know they get nothing EVER
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Jonny996,
Quote:

It is also going to be a Christmas present as I can't think of anything else to get him, good to read that people think 160 is not to long for double rocker

my kids were on 162s and 96mm waist (Rossi Saffron 7) with double rocker when they were <50kg and ~150-155cm. No problem.
My daughter is 15 in December and athletic (~162cm and about 50kg), she think she's grown out of them but honestly she'll still float like a boat on them.
They are just up the road from you in a cave and in very good nick. I'd offer them to you but while my son didn't kick up a fuss your's may not like the graphics (plain white with a couple of pink flowers!)

Quote:

I think I will look for something around 80-85 wide & 160ish long

Think that is sound TBH. My son is on something 172cm, stiff and 89mm wide - actually a better balance for him than the Saffron 7's because they are more demanding/rewarding on piste while still being fine when its soft (we spend more time off piste than on.)
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@jedster, thanks for the offer but even thou we are in 2019 there is no way he'd ski them all be it a perfect ski for him
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
before I pull the trigger on these https://www.glisshop.co.uk/ski-sets-bindings-/fischer/alpine-ski-set-prodigy-bindings7297277 does anyone have any negitives about the Fischer Prodigy? I am going for the 155 size. I know it is 5cm less than the 160 recommended above but he's coming from 130's & he is using 140's weekly on dryslope so I don't want to over cook the length for the sake of future proofing them.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
quick up date for anyone searching in the future. I ended up going for Black Crows Magnis in 157 length. got them with Solomon Z10 bindings for £197 delivered.
latest report
I'm sure he will love them!
snow report
@Jonny996, let us know how he gets on. My 11 year old son will probably be looking for something similar next year, though he has some K2 shreditor 85s in 149 and some Atomic Bent Chetler in 155ish (90mm under foot) I picked up a while ago. Still, it’s fun buying skis Smile
latest report
@Themasterpiece, update for you, he loved them, he has jumping off the side with no issues at all & on piste was carving away "best present ever" quote summed it up for me.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy