Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Grand Massif or Evasion Mont Blanc - boarding

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Morning

Newly registered member of Snowheads & my first post.

I'm arranging a weeks trip & planning on staying in St Gervais (buying the Evasion Mont Blanc pass) or Samoens/Morillon/Flaine (buying the Grand Massif pass).
We are a group of 4 boarders & 4 skiers, who do blue/reds, with very little off piste.
Will be going for the first week in March so hopefully conditions will be ok.
We like spending the days touring round rather than just doing the same runs over & over, so a large area is a must (we've been to Portes du Soleil for the last 2 years)

I ski so a bit of flat ground or draglifts are ok for me but clearly not for the boarders - can anyone provide info/experience of boarding in these regions please?

Thanks

Jim
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I haven't skied either resort, so can't offer any advice : but welcome to SnowHeads… Smile
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Welcome to snowHeads snowHead
My nephew used to board with us while we skied in the Grand Massif. Did not see so many boarders at Xmas/New Year this time, not sure why. My Mum even commented on it. Lots of varied terrain to keep you busy, a couple of jam parks etc, if you check out the piste map online you can spot them. If you are on a board, might be best to avoid the 14km Cascades off the top of Flaine to Sixt, unless your mates with ski poles will sling shot you. It is a lovely trip down but there are quite a few flat bits. Can't comment on St Gervais, sorry. Apres not hopping in Les Carroz, so might want to ask people about that if it matters to your group?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Not much flat ground in the Grand Massif, only one blue run - Portets, comes to mind. It's an easy one to avoid.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
As a snowboarder I would say providing your friends are not beginners draglifts shouldn't be too much of an issue. Of course worth checking with them, and if they say it is an issue compare the piste maps.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
What he said. It's not a lot harder to learn to ride a drag lift on a board versus on skis. If they can't ride them, then learning ought to be a priority.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I would say the Grand Massif and Evasion Mont Blanc are quite similar types of ski areas. Lift system, flat bits, altitudes (Grand Massif goes a bit higher), terrain, scenery... So not much to choose between them for a boarder.

Both have a few tricky drag lifts and flat areas.

The EMB ski area is much bigger but more disjointed than the GM. Staying in St Gervais gives direct access to the largest of three areas (which in itself is a similar size to the GM), but getting to the Portes du Mont Blanc side requires a bus across Megeve, and you'd need a car to get to Les Contamines.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I vote for GM
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I've very little experience of EMB to compare with GM, but much more on both ski and board within GM.

There's nothing there, GM, to trouble boards with very few flats generally, and nearly all covered by chairs at least.

Pick to stay on the snow and walk out to lift is Morillon 1100 Les Esserts for pure convenience. Good home run acces and decent mileage to reach furthest extreme in Flaine bowl. Small and fairly quiet though.

Or Flaine itself for staying on snow right in centre, couldn't be better acces and has more to do after piste closure.

The whole area is very connected so that you don't feel it's slog whichever of the four villages you are staying in as it's mostly skiing / boarding rather than trying to connect one bit to another, if that makes sense.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Grand Massif is good .Very few runs to avoid if boarder . All linked beautifully and can certainly tour around all of 4 huge areas 275kms of great pistes/off piste too.. Portet down to Les Mollietts is now much improved as long as you go for it at the begining but The Arete is still a bit slow, a long shuss, depending on conditions.Agree the long Cascades is a bit hard for boarders and skiers sometimes !!.So much more dont need to do it.Would say much better than St Gervais as a lot of fiddling getting to lifts etc
Have you got accommodation ? Chalet Esprit is available self catered in Morillon. Have a look www.alpsinstyle.com some great offers this year.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks very much for all the replies, some very useful information.
GM seems on the face of it to be a really good option.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy