Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Cairngorm 10/4/06

brian
brian
Loads of snow on the Gorm, all the main runs complete and wide, even right down to the car park. The snow was in perfect condition, the cloud stayed high and late in the day the sun even put in an appearance !

The East wall was looking in prime nick but I had my son Euan with me, so we're saving that for a year or 2's time Laughing

Euan heading off at the top of Coire Cas:

Looking down the Cas tow:

Euan tackling the White Lady:

Top of the M1:

Looking across the Northern Coires:

Heading towards the daylodge poma:

Looks good for at least another couple of week's skiing snowHead
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
brian, great photos! where is everyone!? this is a holiday week so where on earth is everyone. It looks like you had the whole place to yourself! Very jealous, I wish I could sneak off work for a day up there.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
PS the weather forecast on BBC Scotland tonight was NOT promising at all particularly for the western ski areas .... the gorms looked like they may get away with it a bit though in terms of not getting hit with too much of the warm rain, fingers crossed ......
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
That looks fantastic, Brian snowHead
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Snow looks better than Davos yesterday Shocked
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
brian, Superb photo's, conditions look pretty damn good. Shame I'm off to France on friday, otherwise I would be up there this weekend. Instead have to drive to Aberdeen tomorrow, then back home and pack, then drive to London. Going to be a tough few days, but the thought of being back in the Alps might make it bearable.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Adamski,

Unfortunatley the BBC weather forecasts can be pish when it comes to the mountain weather - they often seem to forget the mountians are at 3000ft and the rain at sea level may well be snow over the tops. This seems to be worse in Spring and Autumn, during the winter they are more likely to mention that precipitation may be following as snow on the mountains.

At the moment its blue skies and sunshine here in Aberdeen after an overnight frost - down to ~ +1*C overnight out by my house. Looking at the webcams for the gorms looks to have been a little cosmetic loss of snow at low levels outwith the runs, but even the low runs still look loaded with snow.

brian,

How busy was it? Did the Cas car park fill up? Considering how good the snow is, and the fact that its the easter holidays the slopes have been remarkably quiet. Was up at the weekend and the only queues were on te M1 poma mid morning Sunday - and that was only cos the ww poma and Ciste and Ptarmigan tows weren't open. Once the ww poma opened the M1 was a lot quieter. Where is everyone? Part of the problem was that the forecast for the weekend was poor - high winds and poor overhead conditions, yet the forecasts were wrong again. Saturday was better than forecast with lower winds and a decent amount of sun, Sunday was windier than forecast, but the overhead conditions were probably spot on. To some extent its best to ignore the forecast and just go and make the best of whatever you get.
ski holidays
 brian
brian
Dave Horsley, pretty quiet. The top car park was full by afternoon but I think there was still some space in the lower bit. I suspect a fair number were non-skiers, however. The funicular seemed to be doing fairly steady non-sking business. We didn't wait in a queue all day. There were some smallish queues for the ciste and ptarmigan but that was it.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Lovely pics brian,
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Amazing. Less than a week to Easter, perfect conditions, and no queues. I remember 1-hour queues regularly for the White Lady T-bar every Easter - back in the 70s. It shows how people's habits have changed I suppose. I wouldn't think there are any fewer skiers in Scotland nowadays, so perhaps they just don't ski at home anymore?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
wonder if I'll be able to ski on my birthday 15th May again????

This was taken 13th May 1994

ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
brian, Fab pix - it looks good enough to eat. Pleas Tell Euan that I'm really proud of him for doing the White Lady - major feather in a medium sized boy's cap! Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
gregh,

Probably Smile but you may need skins to get back up Evil or Very Mad

brian,

Was chatting to one of the Ambassadors and last Tuesday (I think) which was quite busy for a mid week day, there were 700 skiers (+ season ticket holders who won't have been counted) and 1000 ski spectators - tourists on the train. At that sort of split skiers will be bringing in more money as they have a much higher spend/person but greater overheads. So the tourists are an important income stream for CML. I think that over a whole year they had ~180,000 train only passengers and ~ 55,000 skier days (+ season ticket holders?) Not sure how they account for season ticket holders as they have no record of when we are on the hill. Still that means the skiers bring in more money than the tourists even over the whole year, but that tourists make a very significant contribution to CMLs income stream. So CML need to provide a good experience for both types of customer.

Martin Bell,

The weather forecasts haven't been brilliant at the weekends which may have put some people off. Midweek has been busier on days when the weather was good - locals looking at conditions and deciding at the last minute to go skiing?

Also with trips abroad much cheaper maybe people are skiing abroad more, so doing less days in Scotland than they used to. Also easter may be one of the periods when they book a ski holiday abroad as the kids are on holiday from school.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Martin Bell, I once counted 11 lines waiting for the White Lady - I went and got drinks for my class in the Shieling! Shocked
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Martin Bell, I think you are right.

The only other skiers that I know at work have gone to the alps (the edinburgh schools are on holiday so its the only time they can go).

If work hadnt have intervened then I'd have spent a good part of the last few weeks on the slopes.

I noticed on winterhighland.com that someone had driven up from manchester to the gorm for their 1st ever ski trip to scotland and was full of praise. Hopefully he'll have attracted some more folk to come up next time.

gregh, I'm hoping to put some turns in around my birthday several weeks later. Its an hours wander to the summit from the car park but thats without kit.
snow report
 Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
prog99, One year I skied from October (veryd dodgy descent of the Lady) until my birthday on 21st May! At that point I'd had enough. A friend of mine skied in a bikini on midsummer's day on the Ptarmigan. (No lifts, but enough snow for several proper turns). I think that must also have been 1994.
snow report
so you don't reckon 'Gorm are going to open lifts into May if the snow holds out? Somehow I don't reckon the wife n kids would be up for a drive from Leeds and then have to walk to ski!!!!

cheers,

Greg
ski holidays
With regards 1994 though daily lift served skiing ended on June 2nd with the Cas Tow on CairnGorm closing, there were several lifts operating on mid-summers day, I was at Nevis Range with the middle third off the Goose Tow available loading at tower 4, the full length of the Goose and part of the Allt Sneachda were available if you were prepared to hike, and there were two or three rope tows lower in Goose Gully.

AFAIK and only found out after the event there was one t-bar on the gorm open not sure if it was the ptarmigan or cas, and the Meall Odhar T-bar also opened a couple of days in June in 94 though Glenshee shut down end of April, incidently due to lack of demand not snow.
ski holidays
Quote:

so you don't reckon 'Gorm are going to open lifts into May if the snow holds out? Somehow I don't reckon the wife n kids would be up for a drive from Leeds and then have to walk to ski!!!!

I don't know - I hope they would - at least at weekends if conditions are not marginal. Heres my thoughts on it for Cairngorm:

Advantages of staying open:
1) If the tows are open, CML doesn't have to run the closed system, the train tourists get to be allowed outside to play in the snow, have more of a fun time, stay longer, spend more. They also give good word of mouth publicity and CML get more train tourists. It also acts as viral marketing for the skiing. Along the line of "Hey I was in Scotland in May and there was loads of snow and people were out skiing"

2) They get a decent number of skier ticket sales etc. who bring in a lot more money per head than the tourists

3) They don't p1ss of us season ticket holders who pay them a large wodge of capital in the summer well ahead of the ski season.

4) Gives an incentive for more people to buy season tickets for next year (go on you know you want to - only £250 if you buy before the end of April Very Happy )

5) Chance of some good marketing and press interest.

Disadvantages:
1) Poor turnout of skiers, costs of extra staff, energy etc for the lifts not covered by ticket sales ( but don't forget us season ticket holders - we've paid in advance.

2) Poor publicity

So from my point of view CML at least should keep some tows running as long as there is good snow, even if it only weekend opening.
snow conditions
How is the snow holding up in Scotland? I flew out of Glasgow on Saturday evening and saw a glint of white to the North snowHead
snow conditions
Quote:

How is the snow holding up in Scotland? I flew out of Glasgow on Saturday evening and saw a glint of white to the North

Very very well at Cairngorm, had some great skiing over the weekend. The upper runs are all in fine shape with good hard snow that softens by the afternoon. Lady is good all the way to the Lady tow with some big bumps developing down the burn course, but link back to M1 is getting narrow, but still doable. M1 is great as far as the timing hut, but the bottom is narrow as far as the convergence with the 105 but from there to the M1poma is OK. Traverse, Cas and Fiacal runs are good, gunbarrel is good, Zig zags are good. Ciste gully is good and Gulleys 1 and 2 are still complete, West wall is good, Ryvoan run was great. M2 is in great condition. Daylodge is broken at the bottom and you need to walk back to the car park. Lower slopes like Burnside look to be thin/broken , but I didn't ski them. Fiacall ridge run was good, but thin at the bottom was fine for skiing back to the carpark. Uplift wise only the daylodge uptrack has gone rest are still complete.

Snow is starting hard with some windblown powder on top, best where pisted Smile Softening later in the day. Over the weeked the top stayed pretty hard all day, lower down was softening up to some really nice spring snow. Great skiing.

Was chating to the boss over the weekend he said he was hoping to be able to keep the skiing going into May.
latest report
 brian
brian
johnboy, pretty good. Still worthwhile skiing at 4 out of 5 areas. Best bets would be Nevis, Glencoe and the Gorm where the upper runs are all still in great condition. Glenshee is now closed although I think the further out runs, Coire Fionn and Glas Maol were still loaded. Getting to/from them was involving a hike though and I don't think they were getting the numbers to justify opening.

Looks like staying cold through until the weekend but a worrying looking lump of warm rain approaching then.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
The bottom slopes were very patchy at the end of Sunday. You could get down but if you weren't using an old board/skis you'd probably be wincing at the base damage.
M2 defiantely didn't run all the way, in the funicular they were say it was patchy. It was patches of snow amongst the heather! Laughing We did some heather boarding though which was well fun - slightly muddy by the time we walked out the bottom! Laughing
Still lots of snow around though - we built a kicker and I dug out about 80cm of snow before hitting ground, this would have been a bit below the train mid station.
All in all well worth doing though I certainly had a fun time and would happily head to Cairngorm again.
ski holidays
Quote:

M2 defiantely didn't run all the way, in the funicular they were say it was patchy

The M2 was complete all the way - I skied it last thing yesterday (easter Monday) Were a few rocks showing at the top of the steep section but that was it. The daylodge run (the run from the bottom of the M2 to the car park) was complete to about half way down from the point wher the poma makes a sharp turn, but could get to about 3/4 of the way down using the tow track.
latest report
Dave Horsley wrote:
Quote:

M2 defiantely didn't run all the way, in the funicular they were say it was patchy

The M2 was complete all the way - I skied it last thing yesterday (easter Monday) Were a few rocks showing at the top of the steep section but that was it. The daylodge run (the run from the bottom of the M2 to the car park) was complete to about half way down from the point wher the poma makes a sharp turn, but could get to about 3/4 of the way down using the tow track.

Ah - yup my mistake just looked at a piste map - I thought that run was called the M2 from top to bottom. Like you say it was the Daylodge where the heather took over from the snow.
ski holidays
brian,

Hope the forecast about the warm rain on Saturday is wrong - I'd like a bit more good lift served skiing before having to tour on the plateau. Friday is looking good on the forecasts at the moment but don't think I'll be able to take the day off.
latest report
 brian
brian
Dave Horsley, if the low would track a few hundred miles further south it would be a lot better. Fingers crossed it moves that way on the forecast, looks like cooler conditions again following on into Sunday/Monday.

Friday looks a potential belter. I have to say I am extremely tempted to try and grab another day.
latest report
Martin Bell, bumped into your brother on the Turin flight (there and back) in the week just passed - on his way for a family holiday in Pila. Seemed like he had a good time and his daughter (who chatted to me for a few minutes whilst Graham was in the loo on the plane) certainly seemed to have had a good time judging by the grin and the suntan!

He's picked up about another half dozen (female) members to his fan club by the way... disgraceful performance of outright drooling by the female members of our group... Embarassed wink
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

Friday looks a potential belter. I have to say I am extremely tempted to try and grab another day.

I'm tempted too, but I've set up a load of experiments today that will need finishing on Friday so if I want to take the day off I'll need to do the work either before and/or after.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy