Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Temperature for heat moulding liners

Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

I'm looking to do some DIY heat moulding of the liners for my new boots. There are guides that says that the oven temperature should be 100C but my gas oven has no thermometer or C settings. The conversion charts says that the gas mark should be 1/4. However this is not completely accurate. My question for anyone who has done this is, how important is it to get to exactly 100C? p.s. I'm not going the microwave rice route because it seems like a waste of rice.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
luanb wrote:
I'm not going the microwave rice route because it seems like a waste of rice.

You could eat the rice afterwards.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
rjs wrote:
You could eat the rice afterwards.

My wife has veto that idea. Smile
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
put them in a bag & boil them in hot water (sous vide), as water boils at around 100c
once done, season with salt & pepper & enjoy with a side serving of seasonal vegetables.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
From what I've read "on the internet", by those in the know, is that ovens do not distribute heat evenly; plus, unless you have a thermometer inside the oven and visible from the outside, the temperature can vary widely and could melt your boots.

How much is a bag of rice? Like nothing really.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@luanb, Why ? The rice will have been inside a bag.

The point of using hot rice is that it will have a fairly high heat capacity while being able to deform to the shape of the liner.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Poogle wrote:
From what I've read "on the internet", by those in the know, is that ovens do not distribute heat evenly; plus, unless you have a thermometer inside the oven and visible from the outside, the temperature can vary widely and could melt your boots.

How much is a bag of rice? Like nothing really.

Good point. I'll reconsider the rice route, my wife is icky about eating the rice after they've been heated in some socks, even if they're brand new socks.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
You can always feed the rice to the birds after.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
This has got to a troll post!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
spyderjon wrote:
This has got to a troll post!

No, serious question, I was worried about being too cold or too hot in the oven and making it a waste of time.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I've done this a number of ways about 10 times. If you do it in the oven, my tip is to get the oven hot, slightly above your target temp and then turn it off and let it drop to your temp. That way you avoid hot spots and any scorching from radiated heat from your element (if exposed).

Ultimately I've settled on the rice / boiling water method though.

It's a more controlled process and you don't have a battle getting a jellylike liner and foot back into the boot shell. It also tends to leave the outer shape of the liner intact because you heat the liner from the inside. This makes the process a lot easier and you are much less likely to have a distorted mess / folds in the liner at the end.

The oven method allows the liner to distort more and I think works better if you have a particularly bony bit that you are trying to deal with!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
hair dryer is another option, but can burn out / overheat one
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thanks guys. Off to Tesco for a pack of value rice.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/showthread.php/317280-DIY-molding-new-boots-(liners-and-shells)
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Problem with inner in the oven method can be getting a floppy liner back into the boot before getting your foot in it.

Recommended temp for Intuition liners is 119deg C

I've used the rice method successfully before, but have now bought a cheapish thermostatically controlled hot-air gun which I set to 120deg, with a flexible hose from an old hoover to send the heat right into the toe of the boot.

10 mins with the heat and you're done... snowHead
snow report
A blast from the past:

https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=1430406
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy