Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Quick question on repair

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I damaged my base last week. This is the first time I managed to see the base material. My question is if this is something I can fix using p tex or do I need to give them to some ski shop to service?

Also for educational purposes, is the white thing in the picture what you call the base material (or the core or composite material? - if so that would make this a core shot rather than gouges?) Thanks!

IMG-20191230-112213
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
As there is no edge damage, personally I’d shave off any standing bits with a scalpel blade and fill with p-tex. I think material is part of the “core”.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Themasterpiece, +1.
Looks like a mere flesh wound.
Where were you skiing btw - The Giants Causeway?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Yes, that is what's called a core shot.

P-tex only bonds to p-text and not the core material so if you just fill it with p-text then after a day or two the repair will crack and fall out.

The correct repair for a core shot of that size is to weld in a very thin metalgrip foundation layer and then add a p-tex weld in on top.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
spyderjon wrote:
Yes, that is what's called a core shot.

P-tex only bonds to p-text and not the core material so if you just fill it with p-text then after a day or two the repair will crack and fall out.

The correct repair for a core shot of that size is to weld in a very thin metalgrip foundation layer and then add a p-tex weld in on top.

Sorry to hijack the thread but just a question to satisfy my curiosity. Does that mean when the skis are made there is a layer of "glue" holding the base to the core or is just the pressures /temperatures used in the manufacturing process that bonds them together ?

Also am I looking at the picture wrong or is there less than 2mm of base left on there ?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@WindOfChange, I was skiing in Borovets and Bansko. Not enough snow hence the damage... Going to Chatel this week Smile

Thank you all!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
skitow wrote:
......Sorry to hijack the thread but just a question to satisfy my curiosity. Does that mean when the skis are made there is a layer of "glue" holding the base to the core or is just the pressures /temperatures used in the manufacturing process that bonds them together?

All the layers of a ski or snowboard are bonded together with epoxy that is then cured off under pressure in the press. There are no mechanical fixings to join the layers together (ie screws/pins) and the edges are also epoxied in as well. The press is also shaped to cure in the camber/rocker profiles etc. Some presses are also heated which speeds up the process.

During the lay-up process in the factory epoxy is manually applied/spread to each layer as the 'sandwich' is built up. Alternatively, some manufacturers use pre-impregnated layers of fibreglass &/or carbonfibre (know as prepreg) were a dry epoxy is built-in to the weave of the layer. Prepreg layers usually require a heated press as it's the heat that then activates/cures-off the epoxy. Prepreg layers give great consistency but are a lot more expensive (but then require less labour) and heated presses are a lot more expensive (but are faster).

skitow wrote:
......Also am I looking at the picture wrong or is there less than 2mm of base left on there ?

You are correct. The majority of ski/snowboard bases vary between manufacturer from between from 1.4mm - 1.7mm at the time of pressing but then they'll loose a couple tenths in the factory base grind process used to flatten the base and add the structure so they usually net out at 1.2mm to 1.5mm'ish.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
WindOfChange wrote:
@Themasterpiece, +1.
Looks like a mere flesh wound.
Where were you skiing btw - The Giants Causeway?

Early season conditions here have given me some practice over the last few weeks on my kids skis with the metalgrip/ptex technique as mentioned by spyderjon, and so far those repairs are holding up, but had to go to the shop for fixing a bigger hole in my skis Sad (were due a base grind anyhow)
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy