Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Considering USA or Canada - recommendations/things we should know

Poster: A snowHead
Very good summary!

altaski8 wrote:
Only a few consistent differences between European and NA skiing come to mind:
- Lift lines are more chaotic in Europe.
- Lift prices are more expensive in NA (insane in some cases (in the USA))
- the ratio of trails (pistes) to lifts in higher in NA
- In-bounds off-piste terrain is generally avalanche controlled in NA
- km of trails is not a good indication of the size in NA. Look under acres
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Vail prices are shocking and the Epic pass is the only sensible option. We arrived on Saturday and the area seems to get quieter each time we come, so those prices may be starting to bite? When we first came here, maybe 20 years ago, the lift queues were often crazy, especially in the back bowls on a snow day. Now the place seems empty apart from a few hot spots. Hardly any queues during the week. I don't think we've waited at all.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
altaski8 wrote:
An unconventional idea would be to consider Quebec Province (Canadian east coast)... Mount Tremblant or Mount St. Anne outside Montreal and Quebec City, respectively. The area is extremely pretty around Christmas-time and has an earlier start to winter (on average) than many other parts of NA. But these resorts are small compared to the big names in the Alps and western NA.

Unconventional not because of the size of the resorts but because of the weather. Just as we could get into the old "does it rain at Whistler" discussion, east coast skiing for Europeans means quite a lot of money on plane tickets for not guaranteed pleasant conditions, and this time involving ice. Great for those who can check the weather beforehand and pop up/in for the weekend, but I would prefer to block a week or two of precious holiday in a more sure destination.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Orange200 wrote:
altaski8 wrote:
An unconventional idea would be to consider Quebec Province (Canadian east coast)... Mount Tremblant or Mount St. Anne outside Montreal and Quebec City, respectively. The area is extremely pretty around Christmas-time and has an earlier start to winter (on average) than many other parts of NA. But these resorts are small compared to the big names in the Alps and western NA.

Unconventional not because of the size of the resorts but because of the weather. Just as we could get into the old "does it rain at Whistler" discussion, east coast skiing for Europeans means quite a lot of money on plane tickets for not guaranteed pleasant conditions, and this time involving ice. Great for those who can check the weather beforehand and pop up/in for the weekend, but I would prefer to block a week or two of precious holiday in a more sure destination.

That's true. But early season is not a time for guaranteed pleasant conditions really anywhere. Some years you will have to rely on snowmaking just like nearly anywhere else. But the snow season up there starts about a month earlier on average than the northeast US.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Bergmeister
We were Air Canada out but it was actually a United first leg. Skis were just a payable 2nd checked bag and ok with 2 pairs of skis. Air Canada first leg of return and that was the same.
I did see somewhere about booking equipment, I asked them but got a standard answer to check here. All was fine and easy anyway.
https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/home/plan/baggage/checked.html
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
<shrug> from London to Calgary or Vancouver at least AC carry snowboards and skis for free in winter. If you have an internal flight on the same coupon, the same thing applies, although sometimes it's cheaper to buy the internal flight separately in local currency etc.

altaski8 wrote:
But early season is not a time for guaranteed pleasant conditions really anywhere
That does not make it remotely likely that you'll find better conditions in the east rather than the west, especially early season.
The fact that eastern Canada is likely better than the eastern US is not the point which was being made.

It's still in my opinion terrible advice suggesting people fly trans Atlantic specifically to ski east coast stuff.
That's like living in Innsbruck and flying to Helsinki to ski: it's possible, but it's expensive and stupid and no one would make the mistake twice. I dare say internet people would advise it all the same.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
philwig wrote:

It's still in my opinion terrible advice suggesting people fly trans Atlantic specifically to ski east coast stuff.
That's like living in Innsbruck and flying to Helsinki to ski: it's possible, but it's expensive and stupid and no one would make the mistake twice. I dare say internet people would advise it all the same.

Advices, internet or not, are base on people's experience. So if the person offering the advice are biased or limited due to their own experience, you'll get unsuitable advices.

That said, say if you happen upon a sales promotion that makes a flight to Montreal dirt cheap. And you can see they've got a ton of man made snow on the trails already, it's not as terrible an idea after all. Still, Tremblant in Christmas will make you feel like you're back in the Alps, crowded slopes, madhouse lift queue (well, at least there will be queues).
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
VolklAttivaS5 wrote:
For those of you who flew with Air Canada and took skis did you pre-register them or just turned up at the airport with them?

Company Name: Air Canada.
Contact Number: 00800 669 92222.

This is the UK telephone number. Both visits to Canada I called in advanced and booked ski bags. Both the hold and ski bags were free but it was needed to call (according to them). At the airport its all computerised so self check-in do NOT add a 2nd bag you will be charged. Just check ski bag and you'll get a bag tag or ask someone to help. Enjoy but take plenty a thermals wid ya!!
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Having read this thread with interest and just having returned from my first N America (Canada) trip to Jasper/Marmot Basin, which we absolutely loved, I thought I'd add a mini trip report here. We hadn't originally planned to go to Canada this year – we'd been looking at going to Europe and had a week booked off work accordingly, but Crystal were doing such good deals to Canada that we couldn't resist. The price we paid for the package inc. lift passes (hotel accommodation upgraded from room only to ‘luxury suite’ so that we had full kitchen facilities plus free tea/coffee all week) was the exact same price as we paid for a half-board holiday to France last year... It was obviously a lot of travelling for a week, but it really wasn't that bad, and although going for longer would be great, I'd happily go for a week again if that was all the time I had available as per this year! We didn't have any less skiing time – obviously longer travel days, but in some ways the long-haul flight felt less manic than some of the short-haul budget ones. The transfer from Calgary to Jasper is long, but you do get to experience the absolutely stunning Icefields Parkway.

Here are some observations from my perspective (poor intermediate piste skier; most previous ski holidays having been in large French resorts, with the exception of La Thuile):

Marmot Basin resort was amazing and very different from anywhere I’ve been before. The resort isn't huge, but the snow was great everywhere all week, and (for me the biggest bonus) it was SO quiet – which of course also meant that the snow stayed in good condition for ages. I have no idea about lift etiquette there because we skied straight onto every single lift without exception, and the thing I really liked was the fact that I had so many runs more or less to myself – this was even happening on a Sunday after a big snowfall the day before – any resort I’d been to previously would have been rammed!
If you’re someone who likes a real sense of travel to totally different areas and who likes to ski different stuff every day, this resort wouldn’t be for you. Having said that, I thought I liked these things, but actually I realised I’d rather ski some of the same perfect quiet runs every day than different crowded runs every day! Also, particularly if you like off piste, there’s more than you'd think from the map – loads of parallel-ish ‘runs’ down the mountain but then loads of stuff in between the official runs too, and of course it’s all inbounds so no need to worry about avalanche control. It worked out brilliantly for me and my snowboarding OH – I prefer the nice wide pisted runs, and he likes the steep ungroomed fresh stuff, so we could get down the mountain using our preferred options and meet at the bottom! Everything that was groomed was perfect (loads of really nice wide treelined blues) – most blacks were left untouched, but they did groom a couple of different ones each day and would list these first thing in the morning on the website, so I enjoyed trying those ones out. Some of them felt at the limit of my ability (steepness wise), but they were so perfectly groomed and so wide that it was fine! Actually, all greens, blues and single blacks were wide – I barely saw a narrow run all week (which was great) – there were only two blues that had very short narrow sections. Views over the Canadian Rockies were stunning, and there’s a lot of tree skiing there. The main green run for beginners (after graduating from the tiny nursery slope) looked great – wide, quiet, with its own (very slow!) chairlift and fenced off from the main runs above it to discourage people from speeding through to the bottom.

On the subject of food, I wondered if I’d miss the more charming/rustic mountain hut experience – but self-service pizza slices and poutine have their own appeal – I know people have mixed opinions about poutine, but I’m definitely a fan. The two restaurants at the resort (bottom station and mid-station) were a mixture of café/restaurant/bar and picnic room, with several locals dumping huge cool boxes full of lunch at the bottom station at the beginning of the day! Actually they were both good relaxing places to spend time, with plenty of seating and good views of the mountain, and we enjoyed our many visits.

The whole experience just felt really relaxed/chilled out compared with most of my previous European trips – I kept finding myself thinking this throughout the holiday. I love proper ski-in ski-out and don’t find the idea of a packed bus appealing, but getting the bus from Jasper town (where everyone stays) to Marmot Basin was not an issue at all (the bus stops right outside the main hotels, always plenty of seats, skis went on a rack on the outside, pleasantly scenic journey etc), then when you arrived, there were loads of free cubbyholes/shelves at the bottom station (or alternatively paid lockers to rent) where you could leave bags, normal boots and so on, which really minimised the need to clump about in ski boots. Jasper itself is also a great town, with everything you’d need – loads of good bars/restaurants, including Jasper Brewing Co. which does food as well as its own beer, supermarkets, shops, leisure centre etc – scenic, friendly people, elk wandering around the streets and hotel grounds – fun to be there! There are also unusual trips on offer, such as ice walks in the frozen canyon, which would be on my list for a future holiday (didn’t get round to it this year for one reason or another).

It was cold, but nice-cold – no wind and didn’t get colder than around -15 when we were there. I put one more layer on than usual plus wore a new merino balaclava/face mask and made use of those tea bag handwarmer things – that seemed to be enough.

All in all, if other N American resorts/experiences are anything like this one, I think I’m now spoiled and will be looking to return!
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Gipfel, great report and glad you enjoyed it so much. I really liked Jasper though only visited in summer.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Gipfel, nice report thank yoi
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
PeakyB wrote:
@bambionskiis, it’s not worth going just for skiing, IMO, is the one thing I’d offer in the ‘things we should know’ part.

If you’re adding some skiing on to a broader travelling adventure, that’s different.
Smile

Thank you Peaky, I could not agree more.

Inasmuch as our family have maintained a place in Colorado (Snowmass) since the late 1970's, I appreciate every two years or so the European experience over about three weeks and take two days off per week to hop on a train and/or bus and visit a not-too-far-away city or two such a Venice, Zurich, Vienna, etc. What a treat. And, many European ski stations/towns, of course, have charm. This is not always the case with many North American venues; the charm factor.
The "experts" on this board will appropriate endless pejorative when I say Quebec Provence, centered around lovely Montreal and ALL both so v. much wonderfully offer is a waste of time. Hey, they know it all, they're the "experts". I know nuthin'.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Gipfel, that deserves to be copied and pasted into a new thread so more people can see it.

You found Canada the same way I did, 20 years ago. Travel agent: “I can do you a week in France or 10 days in Canada for the same price. Which would you prefer?”
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@arcsinice, thanks, yes it would be a shame to miss out on great European cities and other highlights when skiing nearby.

In USA I combined:
- New York & Boston with skiing in several small areas in Vermont, New Hampshire & Maine.
- Denver with Colorado ski areas
- San Francisco and Yosemite with Lake Tahoe area skiing.
- Las Vegas (2 nights was plenty) and Grand Canyon with small ski areas in New Mexico.

I really enjoyed these travels. Exchange rate for me was favourable; wouldn’t do it at current levels. Struggle to believe transatlantic skiing is cheaper than Europe, from UK, comparing like for like, given the higher travel costs and much higher lift pass prices.
snowHead
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Gipfel, Of the Can resorts I've visited, Marmot has the best combination of town and hill for me. Jasper is small, but enough restaurants for a couple of weeks without repeats. The Raven Bistro happy hour fondue at 29 Can for 2 with half price wine was the standout meal of the holiday.

As for a week - I was told 800 UK schoolkids are there this week. Not sure how the schools can justify a 9 hour flight and 5 hour transfer for one week Shocked

Another pleasant surprise of this trip was Nelson, by far the most Bohemian town I've visited in Nth America. The response from the locals to any favourable comment was 'it's all paid for by dope' sometimes followed by 'run by draft dodgers from south of the border' Shock
ski holidays
arcsinice wrote:

Inasmuch as our family have maintained a place in Colorado (Snowmass) since the late 1970's, I appreciate every two years or so the European experience over about three weeks and take two days off per week to hop on a train and/or bus and visit a not-too-far-away city or two such a Venice, Zurich, Vienna, etc. What a treat. And, many European ski stations/towns, of course, have charm. This is not always the case with many North American venues; the charm factor.

The "experts" on this board will appropriate endless pejorative when I say Quebec Provence, centered around lovely Montreal and ALL both so v. much wonderfully offer is a waste of time. Hey, they know it all, they're the "experts". I know nuthin'.

Compare to the "charmless" North American venues, Montreal stands out.

But for Brits who can hop over to Paris or Geneva in an hr., how do you justify a 6 hr flight to Montreal?
ski holidays
arcsinice wrote:
... The "experts" on this board will appropriate endless pejorative when I say Quebec Provence, centered around lovely Montreal and ALL both so v. much wonderfully offer is a waste of time. Hey, they know it all, they're the "experts". I know nuthin'.
I think you're missing the point. I'm not slagging Quebec or the the skiing there, both of which are fine.

By analogy, there's absolutely nothing wrong with Scottish skiing.
However if I advised US people to fly to Europe in order to ski in Scotland, my advice would be bad.

My buddy's just had some great skiing around Meat Cove Mountain, even further east. I'd not advise anyone to fly the Atlantic to ski there either.
snow report
Actually, it makes more sense for American to fly to Scotland than Europeans to Montreal. At least if the skiing doesn't deliver, there's plenty of Whiskey to keep most happy. rolling eyes A bit more seriously, Scotland is quite different from middle America. And you can't experience it except in Scotland.

But Montreal for Brits? That's like recommending Californians to visit Disney in Paris!
ski holidays
@Gipfel - I'm so pleased you had such a great time - I started the thread on the Crystal deals and remember you saying you'd booked. It sounds like you feel exactly the same as me about Marmot and Jasper - I think we have another Canada convert?!

I'm keeping an eye for the Crystal deals this year (likely August) to hopefully book our Canada trip for next year - a return to Whistler for us hopefully! Or maybe Fernie... Or Jasper... or maybe all of them if the deals come through...
ski holidays
A few weeks ago I saw some amazing deals to Whistler on the Crystal website and they looked too good to be true. 2 weeks for Feb 24th 2021 for about £1495 including flights and transfers at Crystal Lodge which is more like the Jasper prices. When I went to book it the next day though the prices were about £2495 which would be normal so I can only assume it was a mistake!
latest report
Arrived in Banff last night after a reasonably uneventful 9 hour flight from Heathrow. There were 2 drunk knobheads who played up but that was it.
This was the first time I had flown longer than 5 hours. No sleep whatsoever because I think the chap next to me had restless leg syndrome
I watched 4 hours of Netflix then last years Terminator film and Rocketman. I was surprised how much food and drink Air Canada delivered to the seat included in the air fare. The skis were no problem I didn't pre-register them just turned up. There were people with those big coffin bags and they didn't seem to have an issue (contrary to what it says under baggage conditions i.e the bag must only contain the skis/board/poles).

First day skiing today in Sunshine today. What has struck me so far is the service and friendliness is noticeably different to the Alps
snow report
@VolklAttivaS5, Oh yes. Service and staff in general seem much better over there. My trip to Rosalind and Nelson got cut short this year due to a loss in the family. I'm quite sociable when I travel and try to be nice to staff in general, I think you get the best out of people that way, but I was really surprised when a receptionist offered to drive me and my partner from Rosalind to Spokane airport (2 1/2 hours and a US/Canada border crossing). Above and beyond for sure. My partner impolitely suggested the receptionist might be trying to get rid of me.......

I loved Sunshine, I thought some of the terrain was great, Goat Eye area and the South Chutes with a bit of fresh were great.

If you're out for a bite and want something a bit different in town, try the restaurant Block, 'World Tapas'. If you're veggie try Nourish (in fact I loved it and I'm not a veggie - king kong noodles, wild mushroom ravioli) 'sharing mains'. And as a complete opposite Saltlik for a steak upstairs - pretty steep but a steak you'll really not forget.
latest report
@rogg, people seem so much more considerate and polite in terms of lift queues (as much as you could call it a queue) and skiing manners. Maybe I am imagining it.
snow conditions
VolklAttivaS5 wrote:
A few weeks ago I saw some amazing deals to Whistler on the Crystal website and they looked too good to be true. 2 weeks for Feb 24th 2021 for about £1495 including flights and transfers at Crystal Lodge which is more like the Jasper prices. When I went to book it the next day though the prices were about £2495 which would be normal so I can only assume it was a mistake!

You should check out the BA sale that launched today. If you move fast, there are some pretty good deals for next year.

Two weeks in the Crystal Lodge in Whistler in late Jan is only about £1,600pp, travelling in Economy and including baggage but not transfers - a steal compared with the current prices you're seeing with Crystal.

You could even push out the boat and travel in a luxurious flat-bed first-class seat with flowing champagne and fine dining in the sky for an extra £1,100 each, with business class and premium economy landing somewhere in between. Or switch the hotel to the super-luxury ski in/out 5* Fairmont for £600 more per person, still cheaper than Crystal.

Some of those deals are too good to miss. Based on past experience, DIY prices will have doubled by the autumn.

I'm already in.

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Fri 28-02-20 0:15; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Yeah I had noticed on Expedia the same day as I saw the Crystal deal that they were offering 50% off the Crystal Lodge
ski holidays
Now I have tried out the 9 hour flight I can book something for next year
ski holidays
@Jonny Jones, thing is the Crystal deal even at £2495 was for 24th Feb and Expedia shows the same weeks for £1875 with 46% off so plus the flight of say £600-£700 and actually the Crystal price is better as it includes the transfers as well.

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Fri 28-02-20 0:32; edited 1 time in total
snow report
@VolklAttivaS5, if you're looking at those BA deals and you plan to fly with skis then it's worth looking beyond economy. For example, premium economy costs about £170pp more each way but gives includes two bags (so skis travel free), which significantly offsets the cost of the more comfortable seat.

The journey home is always more uncomfortable as it's overnight so you want to sleep on the aircraft. If you can only afford to upgrade in one direction, that's the way to do it.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Jonny Jones, worth it for the way home I agree! I stayed in my window seat the whole time actually as I made sure I had a wee before getting on and had one as soon as I got off and it was hard work! Not a wink of sleep although I might have done if him next to me didn't keep waggling his legs
ski holidays
@Jonny Jones, just had a look and Premium Economy both ways to Vancouver is £828 which is good actually because my Air Canada flight to Calgary was about £750. That would be 27th Jan not 24th Feb though as their calendar doesn't go far ahead enough yet. The flight out leaves at 17.30 so it would be nice to sleep at the right time on the way out I was absolutely hanging yesterday after 20 hours awake
latest report
Quote:

What has struck me so far is the service and friendliness is noticeably different to the Alps

@VolklAttivaS5, indeed, what tickled me most about Sunshine was the old guy who stood at the edge of the piste at the middle gondola station, waving goodbye to everyone at the start of the ski out to the bottom station. Seeing us all off with a "thanks for coming" "have a good evening" "hope you had a good ski day".
ski holidays
I have done Banff over New Year - heading out on Boxing Day a couple of years ago. Here is my review:

https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=3162372&highlight=banff+trip+review#3162372

I hope it helps. I would recommend it! Snow is epic, people are lovely and once you get over the initial costs it really isn't that expensive when you are out there. For example it was around 6-7$ for a beer and at Lake Louise you could get lasagne, garlic bread and a drink for $7. Canadian dollar to pound is a better exchange that US to$ to £ too so bear that in mind.

I cannot wait to go back. Maybe next year or 2022
latest report
Off to Lake Louise today to see what that is like. I have got a 9 in 12 day lift pass so tomorrow I have got a day trip to Kicking Horse booked. Then next Friday I am doing the Panorama day trip.

Had food on the mountain at Sunshine yesterday. An Italian beef sandwich and a large draught lager was 28 CAD including GST.
Last night for tea I just had a Thai breaded shrimp starter from Boston Pizza which was enough on its own and that with a large draught lager was 22 CAD.
snow report
@Gipfel, they are not all like that. Marmot and Jasper are kind of different. Its remote and its in a national park. Development is somewhat restricted and purchasing houses is restricted to genuine workers. Banff is the same (ie in Park) , but its proximity to Calgary and its position on a main tourist haul makes it different.
snow report
VolklAttivaS5 wrote:
Off to Lake Louise today to see what that is like. I have got a 9 in 12 day lift pass so tomorrow I have got a day trip to Kicking Horse booked. Then next Friday I am doing the Panorama day trip.

Had food on the mountain at Sunshine yesterday. An Italian beef sandwich and a large draught lager was 28 CAD including GST.
Last night for tea I just had a Thai breaded shrimp starter from Boston Pizza which was enough on its own and that with a large draught lager was 22 CAD.

Call RK Heli - See if they have any space, or put your name on the stand by list. Just a suggestion if you are into that sort of thing and have the cash to spare...
latest report
@Toadman, thanks I'd love to but $929 for 3 runs is not really justifiable for me at the mo.
snow report
Skied Lake Louise today. Lots of moguls. Quite a lot of challenging terrain i.e the single black diamonds were all mogulled which I enjoyed. Definitely endless possibilities when it snows a lot especially amongst the trees as they are quite well spaced. The last few weeks they have had regular but small top ups but no big dumps (so I have been told).

Sunshine was very different to Lake Louise. Not sure which I prefer yet. The food quality experienced so far is better in the Austrian Alps IMO. Will see what both resorts are like when it snows proper. Will report on Kicking Horse tomorrow. Haven't been to Norquay yet that is Monday's job.
snow report
Really interesting reading these reports: loved your last one hammy. Bit worried about the mentions of “steep” as I prefer wide easy blues. Are there many easy blues?

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Sat 29-02-20 12:47; edited 2 times in total
snow report
I liked LL, the trees as you say were good, lots of opportunities, but overall preferred sunshine, particularly on a powder day. I wasn't particularly enamoured of Norquay and only went there twice. All the runs/lifts (bar one) visually identical repeats.
ski holidays
@rogg, yeah I am looking forward to going back to Sunshine once we have a decent amount of fresh
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy