Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

UCPA off piste options

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi all,

Looking for some advice...

Background -
I am intending to go away for another week in early Jan, leaving 4th or 11th (based on the "normal" Saturday to Saturday but the specific dates aren't important to me)

I am considering an UCPA off piste week as I will likely be going alone.
I have previously done catered chalets and paid a single supplement which has worked fine for me but I would like to do more off piste and the cost of thew guiding in addition becomes significant.

I have done some off piste but not huge amounts, predominantly 10 days skiing in Jackson Hole last where by the end I was content on the Black Diamond marked bowls and "runs" (which are predominantly left entirely natural/unpisted) in a range of conditions including some icy and some deep powder, although for sure I could and should be tidier. I did also ski one of the double black chutes towards the end of the trip without any problems.

More recently I spent 2 or 3 days last week enjoying the new snow in Meribel, happy off piste alongside reds and blacks.

I find it hard to try and quantify my "skill" level, I haven't seen any video of me skiing but I'm fit and athletic, with good balance and learn quickly. I also make the most of most days on the slope and seldom do less than 10km vertical per day. I am happy to ski at what I feel to be pretty fast on french reds and blacks that have been pisted that day, including in the afternoon, generally reaching a max speed of somewhere 75-85kmph each day according to the 'ski tracks' app and feeling fairly tidy and in control.

By the time they have been left un-pisted for a couple day or are off piste I'm a lot slower and pick my line more carefully but still am in control but I know I should be tidier. I can link turns down a black mogul field in control, but again not as tidily as I'd like and nowhere near as fast as some people. Definitely wouldn't consider myself expert as not experienced enough and see too many very tidy skiers going faster including the local ski club slalom teenagers! but maybe competent?

So the questions are:

- For those who have experience of the UCPA off piste groups, does the "Off Piste - Advanced" sound like the right group for me, I don't want to spend all week on off piste "blue" equivalent type slopes, but if you picture reds and black but left natural then that's probably what I'm after. And preferably as lift accessed as possible, not a huge fan of walking!

- Any thoughts on the weather yet, is the week beginning the 11th possibly looking the better option?

The resort options currently available are: Chamonix, Argentiere, La Plagne, Les Deux Alpes, Tignes, Serre Chevalier.
- Thoughts on resort based on UCPA location/facilities/accommodation/food?
- Thoughts on resort based on off piste potential at that level?
- Thoughts on resort based on current/forecast weather conditions? (particularly as it is still fairly early season and the strong winds that I understand many places have had stripping away the snow in exposed areas)

On the topic of food, having been significantly disappointed by the food this year by a well known TO, what is the UCPA food like? Not looking for anything fancy, just tasty food, large portions, not greasy, as little processed and as few chemicals/preservatives added as possible.
Typically I would buy a piece of a strong local cheese and a fresh loaf of bread each morning for lunch on the mountain but I gather you can take from the UCPA breakfast for a packed lunch?

Thanks in advance of the assistance!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
"Advanced" is probably what you're looking for, I was asking about this in a previous thread, think it's pretty variable depending on the people that turn up that week.
Probably best to go for one of the centre's that runs 3-5 off-piste groups so that the ability range in each one is smaller.
I'm going to Argentiere UCPA the 4th of Jan week, signed up for "free rando -expert" on the basis that it's easier to drop down a group if its too much for me than get into a higher one if it's easy.

The food is basic but not bad, breakfast is normal bread, meats, cheeses, cereal ect can take as a pack lunch too. Dinner is a bit more processed though there's normally an option that's ok, at the price of the week I don't feel bad going out for dinner half the time.

Next week is looking like it might be a little low on fresh snow atm too early to say if the 11th week will be any better.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Yep, the levels depend so much on the ability of whoever books that week that it's impossible to say, but UCPA are fairly laid back and will move you down a group if need be, so aim high!

The food is normally ok and sometimes really good - I think it is down to the quality of the chef in whichever centre you go to.

For the price you can't really go wrong, so go for it.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Been to Val D'Isere (ski short-break intermediate/intro to off-piste), Serre Chevalier (Expert Grand Evasions), Argentiere (Expert Grand Evasions).

Serre Chevalier: Food = excellent (really, it's amazing) , UCPA location = excellent, course = excellent, terrain= excellent/loved it, resort = ok
Val D'Isere: Food = ok, UPCA location = very good to excellent, course = excellent, terrain = excellent/loved it/wish I had a snowboard, resort = excellent
Argentiere: Food =meh, UCPA location = very good, course = left wanting more/got unlucky with guide, terrain = excellent, resort = good

Groups ability depends on who turns up and your guide. Had shockers and legendends.

Weather, check out various threads, it's looking very good this season. Off the top of my head I would go to Serre Chevalier as they are slightly less snowsure, but have had a great start to the season. Check the various resort threads on snowheads.

Your ability sounds like advanced to me, but it really depends on your group e.g. the advanced group out lapped the expert group in Argentiere. Go big or go home.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I’ve done intro to offpiste twice at Val d’Isere. Mixed group from some well skilled but cautious females to advanced guys that couldn’t get in an advanced group that week. Probably could have joined an advanced group the second time, but I’d kept in touch with a couple of people from the first time round and we decided to do the same thing.

If you are confident enough in deeper snow, and picking your way down through some steep and tight bits in trees for example, you should be fine in an intro or advanced group.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@TJ1,

I have done lots of different courses at lots of different centres. The food can be really very good indeed, this is dependent upon the chef in the centre. I would recommend that you do an advanced course at Tignes/VT or Les Arcs. The standard of the group is defined by the clients. You get to eat in the centre or on the mountain depending on what the guide tells you. You will have a brilliant time and really enjoy yourself.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy