Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Budget French Alps trip 4th to 11th April

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all.
Just been given the green light to get out for a week this season as long as I take my 16 yo son with me so I'm stuck to out of term time. Having done this several times before I intend to drive again and not book the resort until a couple of weeks max before arrival via either sunweb or snowtrex to get as cheap a deal as possible. I've never paid more than £225 each for accommodation and lift pass even with reduced occupancy supplements this time of year so expect about the same. Will be looking for a resort with at least 150km of piste upward and we're both competent skiers on anything on piste and can play in the powder a bit if it's there. Setting off from Blackburn Lancashire on Friday 3rd were looking for anyone who fancies sharing the traveling costs. Don't mind sharing the accommodation and skiing together either but that's not essential.
Please don't message if all your going to do is ask me why am I driving and not flying as it cheaper for this that or the other or trying to sell accommodation etc as this is not my first rodeo. The exact details and overall costs are obviously quite fluid at the moment but anyone interested drop me a line.

Roly
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hi Roly. What time would you be setting off on the 3rd. My son of 13 & myself have been looking to go to Val thorens or Tignes on the same dates.

Cheers.

Paul.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hi Paul I'm pretty flexible but we do tend to try and push through the night to get to resort to ski on the Saturday if possible. Where you setting off from? Also what draws you to val thoren or tignes is it the altitude, size of ski area or something else
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I live near the Trafford Centre. Drawn to the areas mentioned due to the altitude. Never been in April before but just read these were guaranteed snow at that time. I am pretty much open to anywhere as long as there's snow.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Been in April 3 times in the last 5 years and snow conditions can be anything from fantastic with fresh powder to very scetchy. I wouldn't book too early going that late in the season and that's kind of the game. Wait and see what the snow pack thickness is like in different resorts and book accordingly. If its really poor then its going to have to be somewhere big and high which puts the price up. If its a good season for snow then the choices are going to be a lot wider and cheaper. If your happy to have a chat about options then drop me a PM
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Hi
I am interested in being kept in the loop too, mum and 15 year old skier here. We are both not bad skiers. In the Borders, prob a 4 hour drive from Blackburn.
jo
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
What are you driving Roly? Space for skis etc?

Are you looking for someone to share the actual driving, or just the cost of getting there?
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
rolyyyyyyy,

This is getting popular. You may need a minibus! Very Happy

I hope all goes well. Things are looking promising.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Hi and thanks for the interest so far. Currently I am looking at driving my best friends skoda estate which has roof bars and can take a good size box on top so plenty of room for skis which is one of the reasons to drive as me and my lad will be taking 2 or 3 pairs each as I have a bit of an ebay ski fetish. If this thing really gains traction then it might be worth hiring something that can manage 6 or even 8 people and plenty of luggage as there are economies of scale that would make it even cheaper that way if you drive. Its the last real week of the season and first week of Easter for the kids holidays in Britain but the last week of term in France so it's a perfect getaway price wise if your on a budget Very Happy
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:
Its the last real week of the season
I beg to differ.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
rolyyyyyyy wrote:

Its the last real week of the season

Ehhh? Based on what? The 3 Valleys are open for another fortnight after that- and Val Thorens until 3 May wink
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Hey guys.
If you want to point out the obvious let's talk about the glacial resorts that are open all year. If you really need me to argue my point then check out the closing dates of the smaller and lower resorts and the difference in the amount of accommodation available between the week starting 4th of the 4th and the week starting 11th of the 4th. It all starts to wind down after the 4th so I stand by my statement that the 4th is the last real or maybe better stated as fully open weekend of the season.
As this thread stated earlier the price we pay is dictated by the availability of accommodation and the snow conditions so as the lower resorts start to close down( quite obviously before the high altitude resorts) then for this thread's purpose the 4th appears to be the final week the full range of resorts and accom are available on the websites I am intending to book through. If this offends you or you want to argue your point then please go to a high altitude resort or glacier and have a word with yourself!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Well if you're going down that route, a great many resorts are closed by the end of March, probably a lot more than are open the week starting 4th Apr.
OTOH personally, I've skied after the 11th April every year for the past 20 years.
To call that week "the last real week of the season" is on balance rather silly as it's an entirely arbitrary assertion based primarily on the fact that you want to go then. It is in effect a @rolyyyyyyycentric view of the universe which is entirely justified when it's in your own head but once you speak it out in public, you're going to see it's not so axiomatic.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
List of French ski resorts by published closing date:

https://www.skiresort.info/snow-reports/seasonend/france/

Whilst it’s fair to say that a good many close on Easter Monday (13 April) there are still a good many open later - even ones without glaciers.

Avoid anything south-facing and you’ll be fine.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@rolyyyyyyy, You just wanted some friendly folks to share the travel costs with — but I'm afraid you are going to have to suffer "opinions" as well! LOL Mr. Green Going green
snow report
I had a good week skiing late April at the last EOSB in ValTho, and the years before that in mid April in Tarentaise, but I can understand OP's view of "the last real or maybe better stated as fully open weekend of the season" allowing him to access way more mileage and affordable offers in April's first week.
In the end, it always comes down to when you can afford to take a leave from work and domestic obligations plus financial considerations.
latest report
Any progress/decisions yet?
latest report
@rolyyyyyyy, I’ve skied several times in Tignes / Val D’Isere until 2 May. I even skied down to mid station in L2A on fresh snow on 11 May one year.

Facts are out of fashion recently.

Have a good trip. Should be good early April.
snowHead
snow report
rolyyyyyyy wrote:
Been in April 3 times in the last 5 years and snow conditions can be anything from fantastic with fresh powder to very scetchy. I wouldn't book too early going that late in the season and that's kind of the game.

Been where?

I've skied EK (based in Tignes le Lac) 3rd week in April for the last 6 years and conditions are generally excellent with near 100% open and those that are closed are usually for avalanche risk. I've skied 3V in April many times and would have no doubts going up to their last week with the caveat to expect some sloppy snow lower down. In fact contrary to received wisdom I've found Courchevel better than VT at that time of year with the caveat that I like spring snow Skullie

For the 4th to 11th, which I don't consider late season at all, I'd also take Les Arcs, L2A, Alpe d'Huez all of which I've skied in on that week (or later)
snow conditions
NickYoung wrote:
Any progress/decisions yet?

Yes I've made the decision to stop reading this thread. If any Admin reads this could you please delete the thread as it appears to be going way off piste rolling eyes
ski holidays
Delete the thread because you don't want to read it?
Does it really make sense to you?
Stop reading it. Delete the first email you'll get and you won't receive new ones.
And even better- uncheck the 'Watch topic' option on the lower left side
latest report
@rolyyyyyyy, Me and a mate a interested - can sort via PM if the thread is doing your head in. Any thoughts on a specific cost, resort, travel arrangements etc??
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy