Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

easyJet: Large Sports Equipment 32kg

Poster: A snowHead
Looking for anyone who has definitive, first-hand experience of this.

easyJet offer carriage of sporting equipment in 2 categories: small sports equipment (that includes skis & boots) up to 20kg and large sports equipment up to 32kg. There is a list of items for each category. My son and I are going out to Bormio in February for the English Alpine Champs and he will have 4 pairs of skis:- 2 x SL, 1 x GS and 1 x SG. those 4 pairs are likely to exceed 20kg. I know you can pool your total allowance so long as no single item is more than 32kg.

Rather than take 2 ski bags I'm thinking of booking a 'large sports equipment' bag @ 32kg and then booking 2 or 3 hold bags for boots and other kit. I'll be there at all points so hauling a 32kg bag won't be an issue.

Has anyone successfully booked skis as 'large sports equipment' on easyJet?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
This does not directly answer your question but last year, near the end of the season on an easyjet flight to Lyon from Manchester, we took a wheelie bike bag that contained my son's road bike, various car suspension parts, tools and a dewalt impact wrench that all added up to 32kg. We flew from Manchester and just did it on the self check in bag things that print your luggage tag and then carted it over to the oversize baggage. They just scanned it, asked what the electrical tool was, accepted my word on the battery size and sent it up the conveyor.
Apart from an easyjet person hovering round the bag scales to make sure you don't weigh the same small bag twice etc. there seemed to be zero interest in what you had in any bag or sports equipment, maybe we were lucky though.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@skitow, the UK end concerns me less as I can do as you say and use self-service bag check. However, my experience of check-in at EU airports has been less good. A couple of years ago at Milan I had had a dispute with the staff about pooling luggage across the bags. This was despite showing them the easyJet website. After about 10 minutes of stalemate they relented "just this once" Evil or Very Mad and checked the bag in.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Gaza wrote:
@skitow, the UK end concerns me less as I can do as you say and use self-service bag check. However, my experience of check-in at EU airports has been less good. A couple of years ago at Milan I had had a dispute with the staff about pooling luggage across the bags. This was despite showing them the easyJet website. After about 10 minutes of stalemate they relented "just this once" Evil or Very Mad and checked the bag in.

+1

I think easy jet runs the same system as a number of other airlines, where excess baggage costs in UK go direct to the company, but overseas goes to the local agent or franchise.

This real incentive seems to ensure every excess Kg is billed to the max on the return leg
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Is there not something in the terms and conditions that says only 1 pair of skis per bag (or one piece of large sports equipment?).
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Dashed wrote:
Is there not something in the terms and conditions that says only 1 pair of skis per bag (or one piece of large sports equipment?).

There is no mention of this anywhere that I've seen.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Can confirm that you can put as many skis as you want in an Easyjet bag (and most other airlines too). Travelled many times with 2 pairs in 1 bag as long as the total weight is not exceeded. Did it yesterday Geneva-Edinburgh with Easyjet. Some TO try to say you can only have 1 pair but check the baggage small print with each airline and I have yet to find an AIRLINE rather than a TO that says this. Its a way for TO to make more money.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I regularly on easyJet Bristol-Geneva with a roller bag. I’ve taken 2 pairs of skis and no one cares. QK’d the bindings and whip them off into hand luggage. Bag is still below 20kg. Until a couple of years ago, you could ring up and ask to increase the bag to 32kg but you had to be a bit savvy as to what you said was in it. If you said 2 pairs of skis, I often got a ‘you’ll have to pay twice’....politely decline and try again later that day Wink If you said skis, ski mountaineering equipment and avalanche protection kit that was fine. Now, the website is very specific about what the large sports kit can include. It’s worth calling their customer service - there’s no comeback (nothing daft like marking your card that you might be trying to swindle the system). You may have try a few times until you get someone who is prepared to help without reading from a script.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
EZY at Gatwick before Xmas party of 4 with 4 hold & 2 ski bags (4skis) booked - the automatic machines issued the bag tags for the skis without weighing them, and seemed to be offering us more ski bag-tags even after we'd printed off the 2 we'd booked!!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
geoffers wrote:
EZY at Gatwick before Xmas party of 4 with 4 hold & 2 ski bags (4skis) booked - the automatic machines issued the bag tags for the skis without weighing them, and seemed to be offering us more ski bag-tags even after we'd printed off the 2 we'd booked!!

Let us know how the return trip goes, any overweight charges etc?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
My kids school's annual ski trip got "caught" with 3 pairs of skis in a snowboard bag, flying Glasgow to Geneva with EZY two seasons ago, I assume on the return leg. They were charged for three bags.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Gaza, Certainly not definitive but we've never had an issue flying EasyJet(or anyone) with one large bag and 2/3 sets of skis in it, never once has anyone asked about the contents either at check in.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
If you use the automatic machine at Gatwick and it prints off the label does it state that it's oversized? So long as the weight is within correct the 23kg or 32kg limit what's to stop you just taking it straight to oversized drop off? Do they check? I have a plan..... Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@king key, I don't think oversize will take a bag without a tag on it.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I've travelled with my bag at 32kg and picked 'hang glider' or the like. No issues but might be a problem if the bag went missing and I had to claim insurance.

EJ are adamant that skis are only small sports equipment and you need to add another hold bag to increase weight allowance.
latest report
Quote:

geoffers wrote:
Quote:

Let us know how the return trip goes, any overweight charges etc?

No problems at Salzburg on return - they didn't weigh the ski bags, just issued necessary bag tags... wink
snow report
Quick question for anyone that's used the self print terminals at Manchester - EasyJet state that you can pack your skis and boots in separate bags and have them covered by a single "ski equipment" booking, At the self serve terminal will I be able to print labels for my hold bag, and separate ones for the boots and the skis? Then obviously head to the queue for oversized luggage to drop the skis like everyone else
snow conditions
holidayloverxx wrote:
@king key, I don't think oversize will take a bag without a tag on it.
It would have a tag/label on it printed from the machine, but does it state that it's oversized? That's the quandary.
snow conditions
@king key, I personally don't think it did but it was last Easter when I last went through that. It was at Manchester and the only "control" was an easyjet person "helping" those in difficulties with machines that had locked up etc. Quite difficult though to hold the bag steady taking some of the weight until the machine spits a label out wink
snow report
@king key, don't know and suspect not. Where are you flying back from and do they have auto machines there?

I know of at least one snowHead who had to pay for his skibag at Geneva having got it there as standard hold bag. He tried to argue it was within the overall H+W+L requirements. They said he'd have to go to the enquiry desk and take it up with them. Having queued for over an hour for bag drop he didn't have time to do that and repeat the bag drop queue.
ski holidays
adithorp wrote:
@king key, don't know and suspect not. Where are you flying back from and do they have auto machines there?
Gatwick to Salzburg. They have auto machines at Gatwick, but at Salzburg I've no idea.
snow report
@MountainIdiot, I think you can but be sure yo select the right thing. The self serve has an option for ski bag and another one for skis and boots (even though at booking they're the same thing). I ended up with an argument with EJ staff which boiled down to "you can pay 6 quid and take the boots as extra carry on, or you can talk to customer services". We paid the 6 quid.
ski holidays
@SnoodlesMcFlude, ah ok, thanks - that's exactly what I needed to know, so it will be "skis&boots" as well as a hold bag, worst case scenario I'll take my boots as hand luggage, as I'd much prefer that £6 to go to the bar, though I'd rather be luggage free in the terminal/on board
ski holidays
The 6 quid was only if you're taking it as additional hand luggage, if you dont have anything else then you could arguably put through as your freebie piece with EJ.
ski holidays
@king key, no auto machine for EJ at Salzburg
ski holidays
SnoodlesMcFlude wrote:
@MountainIdiot, I think you can but be sure yo select the right thing. The self serve has an option for ski bag and another one for skis and boots (even though at booking they're the same thing). I ended up with an argument with EJ staff which boiled down to "you can pay 6 quid and take the boots as extra carry on, or you can talk to customer services". We paid the 6 quid.

Just get a three PAYG free sim & activate the free checked carry on offer they do. You also get priority boarding on top.
ski holidays
EJ baggage is pooled.
So if you have 1 bag over & 1 bag under, you are fine, as long as a single item is not over 32kg
Very handy when there is a group of 10 travelling & knowing historically they pack around 15kg each.

https://www.easyjet.com/en/help/baggage/cabin-bag-and-hold-luggage
Code:
Hold luggage

Each customer including children and infants can buy up to three hold bags. A standard hold bag is 23kg (for new bookings made from 15 November 2017)*. You can buy extra weight in 3kgs units, up to a maximum of 32kg per bag.

If you’re travelling with family or friends on the same flight and booking, you can pool your total weight allowance.

No single item can weigh more than 32kg. Maximum total size (length + width + height) = under 275cm.
ski holidays
Hi

Going to chuck the scenario of taking a Dakine low roller ski bag with skis and poles plus ski clothing in it. I have 23kg hold luggage weight allowance. If I pack carefully and come in under 23kg can I check this in as hold luggage and then take my boots on as hand luggage?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Griggs, Yes
ski holidays
holidayloverxx wrote:
@Griggs, Yes

Or no. EJ say it's a ski bag, therefore you have to pay for a ski bag (regardless of total dimensions) and only get 20kg. Now you might get away with it (especially on auto bag drop machines) or you might not and have to pay for the ski bag charge at the airport.
ski holidays
@adithorp, yebbut you know everyone does it.
snow report
As I posted earlier, I know for sure of one snowHead who got caught. Pretty sure there are others.
snow report
@adithorp,

I think the risk is room. There is only limited space for long/large items in the hold.
If lots of people take ski/board bags & paid for ski/board bag & someone rocks up with standard luggage that is 2m long, guess which one is not going to make the flight?
snow report
If you buy ski bag or skis and boots I just put everything in it and take helmet in carry in. Never been asked once about it.
snow report
Looking for an update on the 32kg large sports item situation - carrying 4 pairs of skis (2 adults 2 kids) and wondering if I can do it in a wheelie bag
snow conditions
Whenever this question comes up, I think the bolded bit of Snoody's response is rather important and often overlooked:

SnoodyMcFlude wrote:
I've travelled with my bag at 32kg and picked 'hang glider' or the like. No issues but might be a problem if the bag went missing and I had to claim insurance.

EJ are adamant that skis are only small sports equipment and you need to add another hold bag to increase weight allowance.

For the most part, the airport staff aren't going to care either way. They're just trying to get the queue cleared and everyone on their way

But if something goes wrong and you want to claim on their insurance for it (or your own), then I would fully expect the insurance companies to be glad of any way out of not paying, and this would appear to be it.
snow conditions
Yes that's fair but the kids skis (and the wife's) were super cheap secondhand so it is only mine I'd be slightly concerned about - and even those are due a replacement soon. So on the balance of risk as our kit is not too precious I can live with the risk
ski holidays
I don't know, but if you've booked a hang glider is that the same value as 4 sets of ski,s if the bag goes missing, ? How much is a hang glider worth?
snow report
Rights against carrier - Montreal convention - first internet link I found https://www.forbes.com/advisor/credit-cards/travel-rewards/montreal-convention-luggage/

Rights against your insurer: read your policy
ski holidays
@djr86, couple of years ago i booked an oversized bag (32kg) with squeezy jet from LGW to GVA, as i thought the bag would be overweight with my skis and all my ski clothes and other clobber, it was just over the standard weight in the end.

but i wanted to be sure, as i think it is at least an extra £5 per kilo, instead of an additional £10 for an extra buffer of 10kilos purchased ahead

just printed off the label at the automatic check in kiosk at Gatwick, and wheeled the roller ski bag off to oversized baggage desk, no issues whatsoever.

came back via BA, and i cannot remember what i did, but i know there was no extra cost.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy