Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

DPS Phantom 2.0 base treatment

Poster: A snowHead
@BobinCH, That was an early delivery from the Dream Time order, mine never used to turn up in September Very Happy
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
PowderAdict wrote:
@BobinCH, That was an early delivery from the Dream Time order, mine never used to turn up in September Very Happy

They must have seen the forecast Very Happy
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Skins!! Before putting skins on a new Phantom base, remember that DPS specifically say you should do a few laps on piste to bed down the brand new Phantom treatment, before using skins. It‘s to do with conditioning the new Phantom base with the friction from snow crystals. This will prevent the skins leaving glue on the base.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Makes sense
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks for the tip!
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I wonder what ski shop /service owners think about phantom glide.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@combin, or anyone else who knows, I applied Phantom 1.0 to my skis some time ago and due to illness/Covid they haven't been used since. It looks to be not impossible that the Chilterns will pick up enough snow for a slide next week, presumably even a full day of mucking about on UK snow/grass isn't going to be enough to bed them and I should not use my skins?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@rambotion, coincidental that this should come up today. I was just reading this https://www.wildsnow.com/29023/glide-bases-wax-dps-phantom/

It goes on a bit but still sheds some further light.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Interesting sounding stuff. But waxing is only 1/3 of a ski service. Edges and base repair are quite important. I hot wax my skis with an iron pre season, but they invariably go into a ski shop for a full ski width/length base squirt of ptex and edges after 4 weeks or so. I find that a slow hot wax taking several minutes on each ski till I can feel the iron heat on the top skin results in a waxing that lasts several weeks before a grey patch appears.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Just caught up with this thread.

Seems the jury is still out reading the discussion at the bottom of @HammondR's link.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Does anyone know of a UK ski shop who will apply the DPS Phantom treatment to my skis bought elsewhere?

I could try to do it myself at home, but I'm not sure whether the UV light/temperatures will be sufficient.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
There was a lot of discussion on SkiTalk about Phantom. Initially, it seemed like the masses were divided into a huge number of devotees of the stuff vs. the tuning purists. Eventually a couple of the purists thought it had its uses. And many of the diehard fans had come across instances where it didn't quite work on a given day. I'd say the ultimate conclusion was for the vast number of days when a good "universal wax" would be sufficient, Phantom was sufficient. For those super cold days, you still needed appropriate wax over your Phantom. And on the flipside of the thermometer, on those spring days where your structure better be good or you'll be applying wax just to get across the flats, Phantom alone won't be much help. But it certainly has its uses for travel. This purist has considered it. Smile
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I've had Phantom on my skis for 2 seasons now, and while not outstanding in comparison to having the perfect wax on every day for the given conditions, it's been great and only experienced base icing once, I'm sold on it!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Not sure about anyone else but I only ever use a universal wax anyhow. I have neither the time or facilities to wax especially for a icy winter or warm spring day. So it's good to hear some reports that it can match that.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Sorry to bump an old thread, but how did the Phantom test go @KenX, @BobinCH, @Grinning, ? Still good?

One question I have is when it wears out, does one have to base grind? I have an aversion to grinding my bases unless I absolutely must, I believe it reduces the life of the ski overall after once being told by my local shop that my set of skis couldn't be ground anymore.
snow conditions
gixxerniknik wrote:
Sorry to bump an old thread, but how did the Phantom test go @KenX, @BobinCH, @Grinning, ? Still good?

One question I have is when it wears out, does one have to base grind? I have an aversion to grinding my bases unless I absolutely must, I believe it reduces the life of the ski overall after once being told by my local shop that my set of skis couldn't be ground anymore.

Works ok for me. Not better than wax but less hassle.

Wouldn’t worry too much about base grinds if done well / sparingly. I only have 1 pair that is ground to near the base and I must have put over 200 days and close to 10 full services on it as it’s my go to off piste pair that’s suffered a lot of shark attacks!
ski holidays
My Wailers are holding up just fine with only home servicing including a p-texed core shot which I puzzle over waxing just that finger-sized portion. It’s untreated for now. Only had 30 days or so of use this year but sliding/pivoting as nicely as my waxed skis.
I like the waxing process though and appreciate the difference a fresh wax makes.
ski holidays
Guy I work with told me that Absolute Snow are now offering a Phantom 2.0 treatment as an additional item on new skis and snowboards bought from them for £150.
snow conditions
Yup they are but they are listing the price for Phantom at £200, then discounted to £149.95, taking 2 working days to apply

“completely eliminates the need for wax”
ski holidays
Still working well after 4 seasons Very Happy
latest report
Still question how much is in the mind. Most holiday skiers can't tell the difference if their skis are waxed between weeks or not and many seasonnaires are dilligent if they wax every 20 to 30 days so I'm interested in the true delta between Phantom and traditionally waxed but lapsed.
snow conditions
Yeah, would be good to have some scientific and independent analysis to go on.
latest report
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
Still question how much is in the mind. Most holiday skiers can't tell the difference if their skis are waxed between weeks or not and many seasonnaires are dilligent if they wax every 20 to 30 days so I'm interested in the true delta between Phantom and traditionally waxed but lapsed.

IME it’s better than nothing but not as good as wax.
latest report
This, but quite a bit better than nothing, still not as good as the right wax for the day though, but a lot less faffing!
snow report
I've got to say that though I prevaricate like hell over actually getting down to doing it, waxing is itself a swift and easy task and quite enjoyable in a zen sense. The thing that takes the time is filing out edge dings and prepping an Ptexing base wounds and I don't think phantom proects against those. If you are doing either of the latter you might as well wax at the same time.
snow conditions
Waxing probably is better, but that assumes we get it right. Sometimes I don’t.
ski holidays
@Scooter in Seattle, Laughing
latest report
Re the black/white base thing, the main reason that skis slow down is easiest to see on black bases when they go grey/silver due to abrasion causing fine hairs to appear on the base, just like Brylcreem, ski wax sticks these hairs back down & the ski goes faster. I'm not entirely convinced that the Phantom coating will stop the creation of these fine hairs, maybe it is a much harder coating than wax or UHMWPE, As a former polymer chemist, I would like to find out what the exact chemistry is.
Bottom line is that if it works? Why not?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
I've got to say that though I prevaricate like hell over actually getting down to doing it, waxing is itself a swift and easy task and quite enjoyable in a zen sense. The thing that takes the time is filing out edge dings and prepping an Ptexing base wounds and I don't think phantom proects against those. If you are doing either of the latter you might as well wax at the same time.

Yes, I take my skis home and wax every 60k feet, but it's mostly to tune up my edges. It's not that I need them that often here in Montana but just KNOWING that they will be there when needed goes a long way to helping me ski with confidence. I ski often enough that the "wrong wax" is never an issue. I have 3 pairs of skis in the locker. The fatter skis have colder wax than the skinnier skis. So I can grab for the expected conditions after the walk to the locker. Being as I'm always at the same place, driving conditions plus walking conditions pretty much tell me the conditions I'll see on the mountain. In Spring a pair will have fluoro mixed in (have tons at home as I rarely need it. Not sure you can still buy it?).
snow report
@sibhusky, thanks for sharing lol
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy