Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

ski near geneva - not too cold ! :)

Poster: A snowHead
Hi there, any advice appreciated. Booked for 5 days on Jan 20th to Geneva. Looking for a resort within 2 hours of airport. My wife doesnt like the cold. I know. Its skiing. But still. Was looking into Chamonix. Saw that average temps that time of year are approx -8 degrees mid-mountain. Any idea of resorts that may be less cold? Or is this to be expected anywhere. TIA!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Flaine
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Temperature is affected by altitude, you lose around 1C for every 150m of elevation, but you need to go up the mountain to find snow, the higher usually the better. Particularly as it rained in some lower resorts today.

January is statistically the coldest month, so going later, say March, even April, it usually warms up and the sun is stronger, but that's not an option now for you.

Saying that you could hit a mild sunny spell in Jan, it's amazing how warm it can feel even when surrounded by snow. It's a different cold in the mountains, a lot drier, so doesn't seem to eat into you like it would in damp Britain. I always overheat, skiing does generate warmth, but if you're learning, you do a lot of standing around.

Clothing is one thing you can control that will make the difference. A number of thin layers trap the warmth better than bulky clothes. A windproof, waterproof, breathable jacket with artificial fibre (not cotton) underlayers works well. Some swear by Merino wool layers. A neck warmer is a good investment, good gloves or mittens are essential.

As to resort choice, there are places that are more sheltered, less exposed than others. Most of the resorts within 2hrs of GVA are lower altitude/less exposed than the resorts further south in the Tarentaise.

Probably the most important consideration is what kind of ski holiday you want. Beginners? Ski School? Intermediates? Lots of easy cruising? Experts? Lots of on- & off-piste challenges? Gourmets? Nice restaurants? Lively apres? Lots of non-ski activities? Village charm or modern convenience? Budget considerations? You'll probably get better suggestions if you can answer some of those Qs.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Le Grand Bornand
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@honky2, the low average temperature is probably just because the top lift height is very high (c. 3800m), so "mid-mountain" is at quite a high altitude (c. 2400m), and you wouldn't often be going much higher than that.

But for warmer resorts I would aim somewhere with low slopes (= warmer) and lots of trees (= less windy, which is perhaps even more important). Large ski areas which fit these criteria include Les Carroz / Morillon / other Grand Massif resorts, Les Saisies / Crest Voland / other Espace Diamant resorts, St Gervais / Megeve, Morzine / Chatel / Les Gets, La Clusaz / Le Grand Bornand. Of these, Megeve also has the advantage of several gondolas where you can warm up a bit in between runs. There are also several smaller ski areas which might suit. The skiing in all of these resorts is very different to Chamonix though... what are your other criteria other than temperature?

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Tue 24-12-19 23:39; edited 2 times in total
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@denfinella, +1
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I'll add one suggestion...Morillon is a great place if you are beginners, lovely sheltered 5km green run to practise on. Only about an hour from GVA
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks all. Really appreciate. All good advice.
We are intermediate skiers, got 4 days of skiing booked, don't have unlimited budget, apres ski less important, will self cater.
We have been to Flaine a couple times, like it but want try something new. I was in avoriaz last year.
Never been to Chamonix, kinda fancy it but if you guys think there are better choices...thanks again! .
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
denfinella wrote:
@Old Fartbag, the low average temperature is probably just because the top lift height is very high (c. 3800m), so "mid-mountain" is at quite a high altitude (c. 2400m), and you wouldn't often be going much higher than that.

But for warmer resorts I would aim somewhere with low slopes (= warmer) and lots of trees (= less windy, which is perhaps even more important). Large ski areas which fit these criteria include Les Carroz / Morillon / other Grand Massif resorts, Les Saisies / Crest Voland / other Espace Diamant resorts, St Gervais / Megeve, Morzine / Chatel / Les Gets, La Clusaz / Le Grand Bornand. Of these, Megeve also has the advantage of several gondolas where you can warm up a bit in between runs. There are also several smaller ski areas which might suit. The skiing in all of these resorts is very different to Chamonix though... what are your other criteria other than temperature?

Flaine is 1 hour from Geneva; very snow sure; is generally lower than resorts with a Glacier; has access to the fairly large Grand Massif area; has access to trees and lower level skiing.....but your points certainly remain valid.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@honky2, if you fancy Cham, the temperatures are not something to worry about, any more than anywhere else. No idea where you got that number from anyway as it's not typical.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@under a new name
Cheers. OK good to know. Saw it on snow-forecast.com - History - then it shows average temps for each week of the winter.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@davidof and others mentioned Le Grand Bornand. What's it like, not heard of it, will research tomorrow but curious why you guys recommended. Cheers
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Try Saint Gervais
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
St Gervais or Les Contamines?
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@honky2, you can’t be serious? Buy her a nice warm fur hat and go to the resort with the best skiing!
snow report
@Old Fartbag, apologies, I tagged the wrong person at the top. It was supposed to be a reply to the OP - have edited it now!
snow conditions
I'm flying into Geneva on 20th and heading to Le Grand-Bornand for 4 nights.

Well probably board there on Tuesday, get ski bus to La Clusaz on Wednesday, then GB again Thursday.

Did pretty much same trip but other way round last year and would definitely recommend the areas. Will be pretty quiet then and there's a good company that does shuttle buses that I used last time.

On my phone at the mo but will try and update to include their name and website over next couple of days.
ski holidays
Aravis Shuttle

Website doesn't seem up to much, but was very happy with service provided last year and so already booked with them again.

Just be aware that in both towns the "bus station" (gare routière) are pretty small affairs, and would suggest accommodation within walking distance or getting taxi number in advance.
snow report
Thx everyone! Sorry don't know how to tag. Grand Bornand mentioned few times - why? Is Saint Gervais same ski area as Les Houches? Thx again
latest report
BobinCH wrote:
@honky2, you can’t be serious? Buy her a nice warm fur hat and go to the resort with the best skiing!

Daft innit? Crystal ball stuff. Any ski resort can be above zero one week, only to plunge into the minuses the following week. Seasonal averages are meaningless.
snow conditions
Quick look at Le Grand Bornand, looks good for beginners but less for intermediate. We are mainly Red slopes, but if black. Would you say this isn't the best choice?
snow report
honky2 wrote:
Thx everyone! Sorry don't know how to tag. Grand Bornand mentioned few times - why? Is Saint Gervais same ski area as Les Houches? Thx again

You can access the Les Houches ski area from St Gervais via the Mont Blanc tramway. If you wanted to ski Les Houches, staying in Les Houches would be the best bet though. The main St Gervais area is the other side of the valley using the Bettex gondola and it links to Megeve & beyond, very nice ski area for intermediates.

Les Contamines is a good shout too, a fair size area with reliable snow, which links over to Belleville/Hauteluce.

If you're good intermediates and are set on Chamonix, go for it, it is a fun town in a spectacular setting with some great skiing. The various ski areas are a bit dislocated though, you've got the main Brevent/Flegere areas above the town which are linked on-mountain, would be good for a couple of the days maybe, but you'd need a bus/car to get to Argentiere, Le Tour or Les Houches.

If you don't have a car, getting a place to stay near a lift with access to a good amount of intermediate skiing has got to be your first priority, unless you enjoy riding crowded ski-buses.
snow report
@honky2, if you are "mainly red" I'd go back to your Chamonix thinking ...
snow report
under a new name wrote:
@honky2, if you are "mainly red" I'd go back to your Chamonix thinking ...

Yeah, go with first instincts! Very Happy

For practicalities though, where in Chamonix Valley would be good to be based without a car?

I was thinking somewhere easy walking to Brevent and not too far into the Town Centre for a bit of apres?

If quiet evenings weren't an issue, maybe stay in Les Houches, ski a couple of the days there and catch the skibus to Brevent or Argentiere on the other two?
snow report
No such thing as bad weather, only the wrong clothes.

Great thermals (polyester or merino), one or two mid layers, wind proof but breathable jacket. Pit zips and drawstrings to regulate temperature.

Humidity also feels colder.
snow report
Quote:

I was thinking somewhere easy walking to Brevent and not too far into the Town Centre for a bit of apres?

If you were somewhere near us that works. e.g. I can walk to Brevent in 2 minutes and the Pub on main drag in 3. There are various AirBnB listings nearby.

It does involve a bit of a hill, but that's the local topography for you. We have clients who spend their whole week up Brevent.
snow conditions
Again thx a lot everyone for tips advise etc. Totally overwhelmed. If do go for chamonix... Les Praz as place to stay. What think? The place saw on airbnb - It's 8 mins walk to bus stop or 20 mins to chamonix town center. We don't have a car. Will look more into some of the other suggestions. Maybe Les Houches is less cold to stay in Smile and can provide a couple days skiing as mentioned above. And I guess take a bus to other areas. Or maybe stick with Les Praz, found reasonable deal for 1 floor of a chalet there. I'm confused lol
ski holidays
I wouldn't walk 8 minutes to bus in ski boots.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
honky2 wrote:
Again thx a lot everyone for tips advise etc. Totally overwhelmed. If do go for chamonix... Les Praz as place to stay. What think? The place saw on airbnb - It's 8 mins walk to bus stop or 20 mins to chamonix town center. We don't have a car. Will look more into some of the other suggestions. Maybe Les Houches is less cold to stay in Smile and can provide a couple days skiing as mentioned above. And I guess take a bus to other areas. Or maybe stick with Les Praz, found reasonable deal for 1 floor of a chalet there. I'm confused lol

As pam w says, 8 mins walk in ski boots won't be fun, nor will scrambling onto a crowded ski bus. Sad

Any chance of finding one of those Airbnb places under a new name mentioned close to Brevent lift and walking distance into town, that would be the ideal location for a short break. Is the Les Praz place walking distance to Flegere? Then at least you wouldn't need the skibus every day.

Les Houches or Chamonix won't make a difference as to temperature, not inside your apartment anyway!! The logic of Les Houches is that you've got 2 main liftbases you could stay near and the ski bus towards Cham might not be so busy as you'd be going against the main flows of skiers both there & back.

Out on the slopes, you'll get whatever the weather gods dish up that week. Just make sure she's wrapped up in layers as suggested. If it's really cold, there's always somewhere to stop & warm up with a roaring fire and a Vin chaud or hot chocolate!! wink

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Wed 25-12-19 16:15; edited 2 times in total
snow report
Morzine
snow report
Having just come back from Morzine, I’d certainly suggest it here.
snow conditions
Orange200 wrote:
Having just come back from Morzine, I’d certainly suggest it here.

Thx. Better to stay in Morzine than Avoriaz? I was in Avoriaz for first time last year we had a small apartment there. Any suggestions where best to try find accom (self catering) in Morzine? Airbnb and where else? Is everywhere in morzine close to lift or it's quite a large place. Thx a lot and welcome back!
snow report
My trip report is a few lines down in this same forum.

I didn’t visit Avoriaz village, but skied there two of the three days due to snow. I stayed in Morzine at L’Igloo equidistant from the Pleney (Morzine, Les Gets) and SuperMorzine (Avoriaz) gondolas. No idea about AirBnB, sorry. I asked the Tourist office there; you could try that.
latest report
honky2 wrote:
Hi there, any advice appreciated. Booked for 5 days on Jan 20th to Geneva. Looking for a resort within 2 hours of airport. My wife doesnt like the cold. I know. Its skiing. But still. Was looking into Chamonix. Saw that average temps that time of year are approx -8 degrees mid-mountain. Any idea of resorts that may be less cold? Or is this to be expected anywhere. TIA!

So... your wife does not like the cold... so, you book a week in darkest January, the coldest part of deepest winter...

Makes sense...

Best to rebook in Mar or Apr, when it is much sunnier and warmer.

If it must be Jan, then head low, with west or south trails, or somewhere with above-average sunshine.

Chamonix is north and dark in Jan.

Instead, try Chatel, Megeve, Serre Chevalier, Meribel, Verbier, or Alpe d'Huez.
latest report
It depends on the weather
snow conditions
It's slope aspect which is important, not micro differences in latitude. Sunny slopes are nice when it's cold.
snow conditions
Buy your wife some boot warmer inserts warm feet will make a huge difference, my wife feels the cold so bought the inserts five years ago, not complained since and we always go mid jan, last season bought her some new boots with heat pads fitted in them, she loves them and never feels the cold now
latest report
If ambient daytime temperature really is a deal-breaker, then you'll have to wait until the last minute and look at the weather, and then decide. Or you could elect to stay in a valley location and drive out to 'suitable' resorts given your criteria and the conditions at the time. There's no rule that requires you to actually stay up a mountain overnight in order to ski. See what your wife thinks about this strategy - she may be much happier, especially if it involves staying somewhere like a wellness spa type place. There are previous threads on here which have discussed this option at length.
snow conditions
pam w wrote:
It's slope aspect which is important, not micro differences in latitude. Sunny slopes are nice when it's cold.

This, not to mention temperature inversion effects often making valleys colder than open slopes in midwinter.
snow report
Flaine is a good shout. Good ski area. Although the architecture and the Flaine bowl seem bleak on a cloudy day (therefore colder)
Stay in one the lower villages and you could have a good solution: Les Carroz or Morillon - which I have thought has the most charming skiing in the region
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy