Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Kirchberg or Brixen Im Thale

Poster: A snowHead
Can any one help? We are going to be around the Kitzbuhel/ sol ski areas in mid January. We have narrowed it down to stay in brixen I’m thale or Kirchberg?
Kirchberg I think you can access Kitzbuhel ski area easily starting in kirchberg?
Brixen Im thale can you access skiing in sol easily?
Which of these too places would be best?
Any thoughts much appreciated.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Kirchberg is a great location easy to ski Kitzbuhel, Westondorf and the ski welt (Brixem, Will, Ellmau, Scheffau). Yes you have to catch a bus but the longest ride is 20minutes to Brixem and lots of buses to choose from.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Sorry auto correct changed Soll to Will.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Stay in Kitz if poss.

The satellite villages are distant and dull.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Whitegold wrote:
Stay in Kitz if poss.

The satellite villages are distant and dull.

Shocked They may come for the skiing! Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks, mostly going for some skiing but if we can ski into Kitzbuhel at the end of the day sometimes and have a beer and catch a bus back to the cheaper village of kirchberg, that would be ok and I like the potion of skiing a few other places easily as well
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Kirchberg is directly linked into the Kitzbuhel system so it is a good better base than Brixen. It is a 40 minutes to go from Kirchberg to Kitz by lift/piste so you can have a beer and ski back.Stop in the Schi-alm near the bottom of the Maierbahn. Of the two villages Kirchberg is more lively with some decent apres ski bars, Tiroler and The Dutch Bar(techno music with tall people.)
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
stay in Kirchberg...direct access to all the kitz area and its really nice village in its own right, there is a direct train from kitz to kirchberg so if you do decide to ski down to have some "kitz" apres you can just jump on the train at the hennenkham station and 10mins later you will be home.

It also has a great link (5 min bus) into westendorf using the ki-west gondola which will then give you access to the ski welt, but in my opinion westendorf is the best of the ski welt areas.

Would recommend the lift hotel or the hotel kroneck in kirchberg, recently renovated and both are owned by the same family, just two different price points
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@enduroaid, I'm just about to book the lifthotel or Kroneck, have you stayed in both? is kroneck worth the extra lolly
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I've stayed in Kirchberg a couple of times, easy connection to all of the kitz ski area, without the hype and cost.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
That's an old thread resurrected with a specific question I have no answer to, but I have to ask what's the advantage of staying so remote from the town's center?
Both hotels mentioned are 10 min. by foot from the gondola. It takes even more to get to the main pubs etc., only the expensive but v.good steakhouse is nearby.
Surely you can take the car and find a parking spot but I found it much easier to stay close to Hotel Alexander (a flat in March 2019), take the morning free bus in order to go skiing and step out in the neighbourhood in the evenings if one wishes.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@drporat, I aint been there before and no idea about any of the village lay out. You've just given me a few reasons to consider something else. However its to go for 12 days just after Xmas. Most Hotels don't have availability.
It would be half board so restaurants not needed, 6 and 8 year old in tow boozing in the pubs won't really be our thing.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Mother hucker, stayed in the Kroneck, great place, can recommend. There is a bus that stops outside and goes up the hill to the lift. But it goes the wrong way when it comes back down. Village is actually a pleasant walk along the valley but you wouldn't want to do it in ski boots.

Tbh we had a car and used it to drive up the hill to the lift or to neighbouring resorts of which there are many
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Kirchberg with a car is a cheap and convenient base to ski Kitz and SkiWelt, and with small kids a quiet half-board hotel works best indeed.
Since mine are bigger, for me it works best to get a central place which will allow me to lazily have a drink or two at the end of the day, with a supermarket nearby as well.
That's why I previously mentioned Alexander's area.
@Mother hucker, have you considered Serfaus Fiss Ladis with the children?
And closer to your initial planning, I have friends with young kids that enjoyed Pension Cristoph in Westendorf.
It's just that mine used to get bored when I was driving all the time but every family is different. Enjoy, wherever you'll choose.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Riccardo, I'll be in my snow wagon as well, so all should be cool. That was my though with driving about to other stations. Do you freeride or just piste ski?
ski holidays
it should be possible to ski back to the hotels in good conditions though best get the bus up to the lift as a bit of a plod with kids & skis. There are lots of buses back and forth along the road either back into the village or up the valley to Pengelstein, Ki West & Aschau. I would imagine it is a pretty good spot with kids as very near to ski school, the nearby meadows should be good spots for tobogganing (assuming snow). The single lift for night skiing and the toboggan run is not far away either.
ski holidays
@Mother hucker, conditions dictated it was very much piste based. This thread gives some details of my trip, https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=139189&highlight=kroneck&start=120
latest report
@munich_irish, is there much easily accessible freeriding round that area? I've researched and spoke with folks who are raving about Jochberg side. how long to get Jochberg sides to the goods?

@drporat sefaus fiss ladis expensive hotels. I spend a fair amount of time in the Alps over winter keeping costs down to a reasonable level is a priority. The kids are very proficient skiers they don't need kiddie friendly ski slopes.
snow report
@Mother hucker We spend some time in Kirchberg this January, and most of the off-piste we did was from Brixen. This was partly because we didn't know either area well (and attempts to book a guide fell through), and when it snowed it seemed that the lifts in the Kitzbuhel area were more likely to be shut due to wind than those in SkiWelt. Not sure it this was just how happenstance, or due to how the prevailing wind hits the ridges.

Re getting to Jochberg from Kitz or Kirchberg, if you have a car I'd drive. It works OK by lifts - 2 lifts to get to the 3S, then 2 or 3 lifts the other side to get to any freeride that I know of, but the only noticeable queues we me were on the Barenbadkogel 2 lift, which didn't cope with a combination of the 3S and local traffic. You'd also need to allow time to get lifts back, though that seemed quicker, and it's not a major issue if you miss the lifts back as busses would work
snow conditions
Regarding the buses back, this needs to be checked well in advance.
In March 2019 we ended skiing one day in Kitz rather late, around 16:30 and there was no bus to Kirchberg. Had to walk all the way to Kitz train station and wait another 40 min for a train to Kirchberg, and then a bus to the center.
latest report
There must be ski touring opportunities from the Pass Thurn area back to Aschau, but likely to be way too early for that. There is a large bowl under the 3S lift which leads down to Jochberg via a ski route track in its lower part plus more areas accessible from the Pass Thurn lifts. Fairly easy to get to using the Pengelstein gondola (bus from outside hotel must be about 10 minutes) and 3S lift. There are a fair few nature reserve areas which must be kept clear of. I believe there is a reasonable amount of tree skiing, more especially on the SkiWelt side of the valley, again various nature protection zones

@drporat, The buses only run the full timetable in the "main" season which, from memory, is from just before Christmas until early March. I had a long wait a few years back in Jochberg in early December.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy