Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Adding a ski resort to Google street view 11k setup

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi Everyone,

I have been working on
this project for quite some time and would really like some feedback.

Any ideas on how good quality street view footage of a ski resort could be used, and whether you would use it.
I had a bit of an issue with some of the footage, so I am going to re-do in a couple of weeks, so the footage is not currently live on google street view but you will get the idea from the video.

Thanks so much for having a look and I'd love to know what you think.

Alex
P.S. The snow is amazing in the Alps at the moment!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Can't wait to see this on Google Maps - which other resorts are you lined up to do?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hi paperback writer, it's a little bit up in the air at the moment as I need to get footage uploaded from the pilot in Alpe D’Huez, but hopefully in early January I should be able to let you know. I have to revisit the resort the first week in Jan to do this.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Example of what Google street view has had available since 2012
https://www.google.com/maps/@46.1373548,6.6844882,3a,75y,280h,90t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1soDwhWKmHSmRO_QrU_-fjQA!2e0!6s%2F%2Fgeo3.ggpht.com%2Fcbk%3Fpanoid%3DoDwhWKmHSmRO_QrU_-fjQA%26output%3Dthumbnail%26cb_client%3Dmaps_sv.tactile.gps%26thumb%3D2%26w%3D203%26h%3D100%26yaw%3D280%26pitch%3D0%26thumbfov%3D100!7i13312!8i6656

copy the whole link
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Timc the link you've posted doesn't work for me. Hopefully this link will work. Alternatively, search for Soldeu in google maps and then you'll find it'll let you drop the little yellow man onto the ski area.
My immediate thought when I saw this is that it isn't a new idea. It seems to have been done in Soldeu, and I'm guessing in other resorts too.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Yep, google did a fair few resorts mainly in the states after their first test before the winter olympics in Whistler 2012. After the big push in 2013 there are very few resorts that have been done, and with no published plans to revisit. As you can imagine there have been significant improvements in camera technology since then. I also have a number of new ways to use the data and new data points, but the main focus this year is to do a couple of resorts not lucky enough to have been captured by google. For example, a small resort might want to be captured that has spent money on infrastructure but struggles to entice skiers from their local area or a large resort that has spent money improving their pedestrian centres or passing that mountain restaurant that the locals love but the millennials don't find because there isn't a maps listing. It’s early days. Not everyone plans their trips like this but with a billion active users of google maps there are many that do. Thanks for the link.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Interestingly, it looks like you can already do google street view of Les Deux Alpes. @alexwriggler, are you doing something different to what's already being done?
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

Timc the link you've posted doesn't work for me.

Just have to copy and paste the whole of the text starting at the https and ending with the 6656
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Yes Les Deux Alpes is on there. But it is very old showing some lifts which are long gone and not showing newer ones. Quite extensive though. The car was driving around town quite recently.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@alexwriggler, Being able to post a link directly to a position on the street view would be something that could be used on these forums to explain in pictures what and where you mean. For example, something I have already posted on here

https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=149643&start=40

Also, what you could do is put a whole load of advertising linked to skiing holidays on it which keep popping up on youtube.

As has been highlighted in this post, sometimes making a link which is short enough to fit on one page of A4 would be useful, however I accept that to make the precise location of the link it needs to contain co-ordinates. Can be difficult to make the link, especially with so many people posting links to malware infested websites. (if the link address is hidden it can make it difficult to decide whether to click or not, although I have been blocked recently by the firewall at the broadband provider from visiting some websites:- not google maps of course)
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Timc wrote:
Example of what Google street view has had available since 2012
https://www.google.com/maps/@46.1373548,6.6844882,3a,75y,280h,90t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1soDwhWKmHSmRO_QrU_-fjQA!2e0!6s%2F%2Fgeo3.ggpht.com%2Fcbk%3Fpanoid%3DoDwhWKmHSmRO_QrU_-fjQA%26output%3Dthumbnail%26cb_client%3Dmaps_sv.tactile.gps%26thumb%3D2%26w%3D203%26h%3D100%26yaw%3D280%26pitch%3D0%26thumbfov%3D100!7i13312!8i6656

copy the whole link

Or use - https://tinyurl.com/ - which results in this for the link quoted -- https://tinyurl.com/yx7q3jka

===== EDIT =====

I see sugarmoma has posted something similar..
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy