Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Best Resort for Beginner Off Piste

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all, literally my first post here and hopefully i m posting in the right place Smile

Is there a particular resort that's recommended for "beginner" off piste? it is for a week-long trip with my girlfriend and will have to be around Geneva (as flights already booked).

I've done a season in Niseko, so i am a confident snowboarder in "Japanese" side country but never had any avalanche education. My girlfriend is an intermediate skier who has never done off piste but keen to learn.

We initially thought of Chamonix, but worried our ability differences may be an issue, and off piste lessons/guides seem to be particularly expensive (300eur for half a day?). Guess for us what we are looking for is either somewhere with a reasonably priced guided lessons, or marked side-countries that's doesn't require a guide. Was told to look into Nendaz/Verbier as there are marked side-countries there??
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Sainte Foy Tarentaise , although I don’t encourage people to go there only cause you girlfriend ski’s
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@flat white, Welcome to snowHead 's
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@red 27, thank you!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Look at Chamex introduction to off piste course. Also whatever Mountain Tracks offer in terms of off piste introduction.

Avalanche Academy in Chamonix do very good introductory avalanche training. Mountain tracks advanced course is also very good.

Recommendation would be to go where instruction is good rather than picking a particular resort.

I wouldn't go the Verbier route. Verbier is great but you won't learn very much from skiing the itinerary runs, other than improving your mogul technique. That said, once you have a basic foundation in both off piste skiing and mountain craft, it is fantastic.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Plenty of suitable terrain in La Plagne.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Sounds like you might find what you want in UCPA Argentiere - and it will be a much more affordable option than many. They do off piste weeks - tuition/guiding at all sorts of levels, right up to gnarlissimo. In the UK their holidays are marketed by Action Outdoors.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Rob Mackley wrote:
Sainte Foy Tarentaise , although I don’t encourage people to go there only cause you girlfriend ski’s

Puzzled Puzzled
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Les Contamines. UCPA there run a course and it's easy to get to from Geneva. Gentle slopes, few avalanches and all of it lift-accessed.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Yes, Les Contamines UCPA is another good idea.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
La Plagne is a decent shout, Grand Massif also for a shorter transfer, plenty of between the runs 'safe' terrain there in good snow.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Les Sybelles also perfect for your requirements and quite a bit cheaper than some of the better known resorts
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
All resorts have off piste, the important thing is finding a company that can teach you, cater for different skiing abilities and include education about avalanche conditions etc. I'd recommend www.Snoworks.com as your first port of call. They have a wide range of courses and provide them from major European resorts.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Have done the Marmalade Introduction to Off Piste week in the 3Vs based from a catered Chalet in Les; I thought it was great. It was Ski based.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
DavidYacht wrote:
Have done the Marmalade Introduction to Off Piste week in the 3Vs based from a catered Chalet in Les Allues; I thought it was great. It was Ski based.
ski holidays
@flat white, +1 to check for UCPA. The U.K. agent is Action Outdoors. You can check for twin rooms. Some resorts do an “introduction to offpiste”. I can recommend UCPA in Val d’Isere. We did all the classic offpiste routes in EK. I’ve had snowboarders in my group of skiers also. If for some reason it’s the wrong level for your girlfriend, they can probably find another group for her to join.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy