Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Chair/Gondola Combo Lift: Why?

Poster: A snowHead
Am just back from Verbier where there is a new lift this season (Chaux Express) that is a mixture of chairs and gondolas - three 6 seater chairs for every one 8 man gondola.

Am puzzled as to what rationale there could be for this combination. There was a discussion in one of the gondolas as to what might be the explanation. A Frenchman present said that the Swiss were famous for compromises, and that this was obviously a solution to an argument to whether to build a chairlift or a gondola.

Alternative theories included:

- They just used a mix of whatever was left over after building other lifts!
- It prevents overcrowding at the top of the lift (chairs and gondolas had a different exit point)
- You use the chairs in good weather (they had no covers) and the gondolas when it's bad!

Does anyone know what the real explanation is?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The third, which is also preferable if you want to keep your skis on. The gondolas are often preferred by non-skiers (these combo lifts are sometimes in summer tourism areas of the mountain).
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
In Winter Park, they switch the Zephyr lift from chairs to gondolas at night, if you are going up to the top for dinner.
Very friendly too, as they provide blankets to keep you warm, and limit the numbers per gondola (the last time I had a ride up in it, there was only two of us)
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
... the actress and the ambassador.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
The Abominable snowHead, she was in the armed forces...
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
The main reason for that combo is that the only way to get to the top of Mont Fort for non skiers (and the summer visitors) is via La Chaux.
The chair/gondola combo in question gives you the option (but not requirement) of riding the gondola up-and-over in both directions.
Verbier is not a good resort for beginners...La Chaux is the first "blue" area for those who have progressed beyond the greens at the very bottom in town. The combo allows blue skiers to have a good sesion in La Chaux and then to return to town via gondolas....the run down from the chair exit at the top of La Chaux is probably too dificult for them.

All in all it is a excellent solution to a very real problem that Verbier faces. It is a top resort for decent skier and beyond, but the topography just doesn't work for beginners.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Zermatt has one as well.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
rungsp wrote:
The main reason for that combo is that the only way to get to the top of Mont Fort for non skiers (and the summer visitors) is via La Chaux.

Yes;see also Telemix lift

There is one of these lifts at les Sept Laux (2nd season of operation) and at Orcieres in France and I think Zermatt has one too. There were some teething troubles with the gondolas sliding off the cables in extremely cold weather.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
It could be a cost thing? I'm guessing the chairs are cheaper than gondolas?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
There are a number of reasons actually, most have already been mentioned above anyway. In summer there used to be a bus that made the la chaux-les ruinettes link, with the telemix this is no longer needed (chairs taken off in summer) - nicer for the environment, its switzerland... Skiing wise, most people prefer not to take skis off - but try getting off a chairlift without skis, and it becomes quite complicated - elder/young non-skiers Also helps in bad weather, people would ratehr not be outside in wind and rain/snow - it enables verbier to satisfy a number of different needs and wants with a single lift. Beginner issue is definately important also, Verbier could not really be called a beginner-friendly resort, its a little more now. Finally, and probably one of the biggest justifications for verbier building it, is that it gets people to talk about the place - that was the reason behind building the funitel and the jumbo lift, this continues along that same line.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Kramer wrote:
Zermatt has one as well.

It is known as a "chondola". Or if you're hungover, a "chundola".
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Martin Bell wrote:
Kramer wrote:
Zermatt has one as well.

It is known as a "chondola". Or if you're hungover, a "chundola".

Surely the chair option would be preferable in those circumstances?
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Kramer,
Quote:

Surely the chair option would be preferable in those circumstances?

Not for those underneath the chair
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
davidof, Off topic, do you have any idea when 7 Laux closes - can't find anything on their website. I'm guessing they won't be open for a slide on the way back from Val T, but if they were....
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
rungsp, By the way it is four 6 main chairs to every gondola. If you take the chair from either Les Ruinettes or from La Chaux you must exit at the top of La Chaux. However as you say if you take the gondola you can ride from Les Ruinettes to the Jumbo cable car station with acces to Mont Fort or vice versa. Thus in the Summer ( or winter ) You take a gondola from Verbier to Les Ruinettes, then from Les Ruinettes to La Chaux as discussed, from La Chaux to Col des Gentianes via the Jumbo cable car, then from Col des Gentianes to the summit of Mont Fort with yet another cable car. I agree this seems to be a spin-off in the hope of more Summer business. I have to say that Verbier have invested enormously in up-hill transport. It is no longer a place of horrific 1.5 hour queues to get up the mountain.
snow conditions
Next year they will have taken out the really old and slow cablecar from Ruinnettes to Attelas (Powder Spirit Bar) and the chair that runs up the valley from above Ruinnettes to Attelas(ish). These will be replaced by a high speed chair (8 seater I think) with a pull over perspex bubble for cold days.

All they need to do now is build the link from Le Chable to Bruscon and from Carrefour to Savoleyres. Both are planned....but I'm not holding my breath!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy