Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

20 best resorts in Europe

Poster: A snowHead
https://www.cntraveler.com/galleries/2015-01-06/best-ski-resorts-in-europe-alps-readers-choice-awards-2014

20 best resorts from 2014/2019.
I could argue the ones missing and the order, but how many have you been to.

15/20
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
2 resorts for a total of 3.5 days.

Ought to try skiing in France one of these days.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
5/20
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
12/20..... or 13/20 if you could the time I ended up in Zell Am See hospital with a fractured fibula.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
A paltry 8. Have never skied in Austria.

Not entirely sure how Morzine is a different resort from Avoriaz, nor Tignes from Val d'Espair, but hey.

Wondering where went: Chamonix, Any Aosta valley, in fact much of Italy, ...

Representative of the Conde Nast demographic. Not reality.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
10/20 (although pretty close to 11/20)

20 best? or 20 they've heard of? or 20 tourist offices that they got complimentary tickets from?
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Tordi wrote:
12/20..... or 13/20 if you could the time I ended up in Zell Am See hospital with a fractured fibula.

Isn't the hospital technically in Thumersbach?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
holidayloverxx wrote:
Tordi wrote:

It could be....view from the ambulance wasn't great if I'm honest.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I've done 11/20 of those. No doubt they are all nice places to ski.

You can have just as much fun in lesser-known places too, with less crowds.

With this type of list, I can't help thinking it's the freebies the journos get at the hotels they plug that influences their inclusion & ranking! rolling eyes

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Thu 19-12-19 18:04; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I've skied at 9 of them - but sometimes not for very long. Just a few hours visit in the case of Cortina, for example. How come the entire Les Arcs/La Plagne domaine is counted as one but Courchevel, Meribel and Val Thorens count as 3 - and Tignes and Val d'Isere as two. Load of rubbish, as usual.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
10/20 been close to many but avoided due to proximity of those I did visit.

Not sure I will get to 20/20 ever. Maybe 15/20 if I am lucky! Why would you visit la Plagne/les arcs if you are driving when Val d'Isere and Tignes are next door?

Also for some reason I have never been to Les Portes du soleil. Are they campervan unfriendly?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Tordi wrote:
holidayloverxx wrote:
Tordi wrote:

It could be....view from the ambulance wasn't great if I'm honest.

Good point, well made
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
8/20 but after this season it will be 10/20 (Megeve in January, Val Thorens in March).
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
13/20 but no way would that be my best resort list.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Just 4, but I've skied a few more from other ones. VT on the list for EOSB.
ski holidays
14/20
Of the ones that I haven't visited
Cortina & St Moritz are ones I've always wanted to visit.
Kitz, Solden & Zell are: would quite like but not that bothered in descending order and Gstaad sounds like: sure if you're in the area but not bothered otherwise.( Which as it's their No 1 sounds like I'm not really their target reader.)
latest report
11/20 and I'm pretty content with that. As for the others, Verbier aside, I'm not the bothered about.
ski holidays
10/20 but only St Anton in Austria despite living here! Not sure why Les Arcs and La Plagne are counted once while Meribel, Courchevel and Val Thorens or Avoriaz and Morzine are separated though.
snow conditions
@T Bar, I think Cortina is a bit oversold for the state of its lifts and the price of its restaurants, so you might be disappointed. If you’ve not been there, Corvara or some of the other Dolomiti villages are much nicer and better value.
ski holidays
13/20. Surprised Chamonix missing.
ski holidays
@Scarlet, agree other villages in the Dolomites better than Cortina.

I’m mostly missing the old Swiss towns.

Another surprise omission is Saalbach.
snow report
@halfhand, you should be in for a treat in Megeve and around Evasion Mont Blanc. Wonderful area.
snowHead
snow report
luigi wrote:
With this type of list, I can't help thinking it's the freebies the journos get at the hotels they plug that influences their inclusion & ranking! rolling eyes

Take a ski mountain, and the village in the valley, add snow, lift, piste… try to fit all those factors on a single, linear scale!

Talk about dumbing down the complex world we live in.

Quote:
You can have just as much fun in lesser-known places too, with less crowds.

Just smile while you ski your uncrowded favorite "lessor known" places. And hope it remain that way. There's nothing worse than your favorite uncrowded, unknown resort being "discovered" by the ski journos, then it's the stamped of the herd!
latest report
7 of the 20 including Zell am See which, in my view, is nowhere near being one of the 20 best resorts in Europe.
snow conditions
7/20....and somebody's on a wind up with that list I think. Gstaad no.1 ? Laughing

http://youtube.com/v/uYlOIKtYsos
latest report
One. And had a memorably bad time there (dangerous instructor).

Hoping to see two more in the coming days at PdS.
ski holidays
17 - but it’s bs isn’t it - Gstaad !? 17 more than the writer I reckon
ski holidays
@Scarlet,
I've been to other places in the Dolomites and going again this Feb, just not been to Cortina.
I guess a lot of my wish to go there is based on the original Good skiing guide which was my 'bible' of skiing when I first started.
It was allways an independent voice, I guess after being to many resorts since I've developed my own taste and don't always agree with the judgement but I'd still like to try a couple of the resort's that they seemed to strongly recommend that I haven't visited.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@T Bar, yeah, fair enough, though personally I’d stay nearby and visit from a distance. Somewhere like Alleghe maybe. You might love it, certainly some people do.
snow report
latest report
@Scarlet,
Sounds good, I certainly have had a lot of good advice here.
snowHead
ski holidays
Cortina is my favourite of all the resorts that I’ve visited. I can understand people taking a dislike to it as the access to the hills in inconvenient and the links are pants.
The great terrain however and the magnificent scenery somehow more than makes up for this for me.
Then around the corner you have the cinque torri delightful little area which then leads onto lagozoui and what a run down that is!
Not to forget the beautiful town itself and great wine bars and restaurants. I for one love it!
N.B. I’ve visited 13/20 on that crazy list.
snow report
PeakyB wrote:
@halfhand, you should be in for a treat in Megeve and around Evasion Mont Blanc. Wonderful area.
snowHead
Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
@Bodeswell, Laughing I’m relieved to hear Gstaad isn’t a ‘must do’ as I already pawned my last Rolex to ski Chill Factore & Tamworth Snowdome on a week long 2 centre trip.

Cortina certainly has some great skiing and is an iconic alpine town. But no direct lift link to the Sella Ronda. Lacking modern high speed and capacity lifts?

I suppose it depends what criteria you use for Top 20 status. Glamour and bragging quotient perhaps influential with this Condé Nast list. I imagine it’s heavily influenced by feedback from North American travellers.

A snowHeads Top 20 would be more interesting to typical winter sports enthusiasts.
snowHead
ski holidays
@Whitegold, only 19?

Which one have you NOT visited yet?
ski holidays
Gstaad Shocked

15/20

Apart from Arlberg which of those Austrian / St Moritz ones are worth a road trip?
snow report
PeakyB wrote:

A snowHeads Top 20 would be more interesting to typical winter sports enthusiasts.
snowHead

Here’s a starter for a top 11. I like big places with great lift served off piste options

Verbier
Chamonix
Jackson Hole
Espace Killy
3V’s
Arlberg
Zermatt
Monterosa
Andermatt
Engelberg
Niseko
snow conditions
@BobinCH, great list but the Condé Nast one was Europe only. I think we need to put them straight.
Any substitutes for Jackson Hole and Niseko? snowHead
latest report
I might start a separate thread. Keep us amused over Christmas and New Year.
No SnowHead in their right mind would be skiing or boarding then, so will have plenty of time wink
snow conditions
@jbob, as the OP, what do you think? Surely Cham has to be in there?? Shocked
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy