Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Boot room heaters. Avoid?

Poster: A snowHead
Normally I quite like boot room warmers but whilst having my new boots sorted by the very nice chaps at solutions 4 feet , Keith warned me off using them as they can change / reset the moulding of boot shells and footbeds.

They said better off taking boots up to your room , taking liners out and leaving somewhere warm to air dry.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
It depends on the boot drier. Any drier that is direct heat should be avoided, but if it’s just blowing warm air and doesn’t come close to the insole should be fine.

I guess it depends on how hot and sweaty your feet get, how much drying is needed. For me having warm boots in the morning is more important, as if my boots are cold they are impossible to get into by yourself.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Try this instead............ Simply at day's end, ball up a good six or so pages of newspaper per boot, stuff all into the boot from toe to top and leave in for a good three hours. Remove and let air out. The newspaper absorbs a solid 95% contained moisture and the residual- overnight airing will do the rest. Never any need for dryers, etc. It's "old school" and works perfectly........................
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I usually avoid them because of the smell Shocked
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I just do the clips upon my custom moulded boots and leave them on the floor of a heated boot/ski room.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
PowderAdict wrote:
It depends on the boot drier. Any drier that is direct heat should be avoided, but if it’s just blowing warm air and doesn’t come close to the insole should be fine.

I guess it depends on how hot and sweaty your feet get, how much drying is needed. For me having warm boots in the morning is more important, as if my boots are cold they are impossible to get into by yourself.

I heat moulded my Atomic Hawx boots myself last year and was very pleased with the fit afterwards. I was concerned that the commercial boot dryers may reset the memory so did a bit of research into the temperatures that they blow warm air at. I came to the conclusion that 105F (40 C) air would do very little to the shell of the boots considering I had to heat them at 100C for 9 minutes for the oven fit procedure.

Even then, with 40C air blowing into the boot, it is the liner that will warm up, the shell will still be partly cooled by the outside air so will not even get to 40C.

I therefore used the hotel boot dryer racks and did not notice any re-tightening of the fit during the week I was there, but they were nice and dry and easy to get on in the mornings.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Colin told me to avoid. Considering that my boots feel softer in warm spring conditions than cold, I can see how it can make a difference.

I got some of the Drysure things for Christmas last year and they're really good. Pop them in when you take the boots off and they'll be find in the morning. Things work all week without needing a 'recharge'.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I got some of these from Jon at Piste Office. Work really well and no damage to my custom footbeds / liner etc. I just take the boots off and take them up to the room,

http://pisteoffice.com/index.php/the-piste-office-store/lenz-boot-glove-warmers/lenz-boot-glove-warmer-240v-detail.html
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I’ve always used the boot room heaters and never found them to cause a problem.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
denfinella wrote:
I usually avoid them because of the smell Shocked

+1
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I noticed solutions 4 feet sell the portable sidas boot heaters on there website. I have seen hotel heaters getting very warm while the portable ones are a very low heat and need a long time to dry out any moisture.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I take my boots back to the apartment. Usually warm enough.

At the end of the trip when I get home I take the liners and custom insoles out and leave them in the kitchen for a few days to thoroughly dry out.

Personally I wouldn't put them near a direct heat source.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
What if I was dancing on a table in a hot bar and the friction generated by my moonwalking caused my shells to buckle?! Puzzled
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Klamm Franzer, you’d have to throw your old boots out and buy a new pair. snowHead
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
sheffskibod wrote:
Normally I quite like boot room warmers but whilst having my new boots sorted by the very nice chaps at solutions 4 feet , Keith warned me off using them as they can change / reset the moulding of boot shells and footbeds.

They said better off taking boots up to your room , taking liners out and leaving somewhere warm to air dry.

Not sure I buy this one, given the temps that are needed to soften and mould shells are significantly higher than any boot dryer I have come across.

However I might be talking out of my bottom, so it would be useful to hear from one of the guys on here that work in boot fitting to get a definitive answer.
snow report
Can confirm I knackered my custom insoles by using hotel dryer. Was the shiny metal tube kind, weight of boot borne by tube directly onto insole and , tah-dah, 1cm groove formed overnight
snow report
There is also the issue of "user error" when placing boots on heaters.

Lots of people dont read the signs and put boots upside down meaning the vapour doesnt escape as easily.
latest report
Colin at Solutions4feet is a real expert on ski boots. I heed his advice.
ski holidays
My boots are large enough that there's no way the end of the boot heater would reach as far as the insole bit. Weight taken by the top of the tongue or cuff depending on whether I can put the boots on the the proper way around, or if everyone's filled the rack the wrong way round and I have little choice (I'm not going to rearrange the rack properly).
latest report
Had my heat molded boots and footbeds for 4 years. Done 6 week long trips with them and they have always gone either on a self with the blowers above or on one of the "arms" that stick out from the wall.

Not one issue with changing shape and boots always toasty warm and dry in the morning.
snow report
I doubt a conventional drying room will be hot enough to soften the shell to the point that any punches will relax-out. Yes, they may feel softer when you first put them on, which is probably not a bad thing, but will quickly revert once you get outside. I however would never put boots or liners directly on a radiator/heater.

Indirectly, this is a plus for Zipfits, used as recommended. The liner is out of the boot at the end of the day. Both dry more thoroughly than boots with liners still inside.
latest report
I've got custom moulded boots and have used hotel/chalet boot driers for years and never had any issues.

Considering that the liners get baked in an oven for a while before they get formed around your legs I very much doubt a bit of warm air is going to do them any harm.

And you always hang boots upside down, otherwise unless you're on the top shelf you'll end up with other peoples melted snow inside your boots.
snow report
achilles wrote:

This. And if I can feel the difference between a warm day and a cold one then effectively sticking them in an oven on low setting overnight is going to have an effect too....plus its unnecessary anyway so why risk it?
snow conditions
andy wrote:
My boots are large enough that there's no way the end of the boot heater would reach as far as the insole bit. Weight taken by the top of the tongue or cuff depending on whether I can put the boots on the the proper way around, or if everyone's filled the rack the wrong way round and I have little choice (I'm not going to rearrange the rack properly).

Never mind just the insoles, my boot shells are moulded to my feet.
snow report
+1 for this
Quote:
the liners get baked in an oven for a while before they get formed around your legs I very much doubt a bit of warm air is going to do them any harm.

Intuition liners are heated to 119deg C before moulding, so there's no way any boot driers/radiators will effect the moulding of the inners
latest report
The smell is a bigger problem. As others have mentioned I didn't think the temp is high enough to cause a reversal in the heat moulding.
snow report
SnoodlesMcFlude wrote:
achilles wrote:

This. And if I can feel the difference between a warm day and a cold one then effectively sticking them in an oven on low setting overnight is going to have an effect too....plus its unnecessary anyway so why risk it?

Isn't there a difference here of the plastic being more malleable when warm, but that is very clearly nowherenear the thermoset point at which they are manipulated during fitting etc.

I've for a long time used boot heaters, similar to the spyderjon type without any issues. As they are gently heated each night after use they don't build up that decay smell from being left damp. The heaters aren't that powerful though, a cold floor or room is enough to prevent them drying properly. We usually take them to apartment each night to plug them in.
latest report
Klamm Franzer wrote:
What if I was dancing on a table in a hot bar and the friction generated by my moonwalking caused my shells to buckle?! Puzzled

You'd probably be able to strap them up with all the snapped knicker elastic on the bar floor.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@ski3, dunno, but when I bought mine from CEM he explicitly said that the drop in type were fine but to stay away from the boot room racks. The man deals with boots for a living so I'm happy to follow his advice.
ski holidays
SnoodlesMcFlude wrote:
@ski3, dunno, but when I bought mine from CEM he explicitly said that the drop in type were fine but to stay away from the boot room racks. The man deals with boots for a living so I'm happy to follow his advice.
+1
latest report
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
Klamm Franzer wrote:

You'd probably be able to strap them up with all the snapped knicker elastic on the bar floor.

You've clearly seen my dancing.
Cool
snow report
Hurtle wrote:
SnoodlesMcFlude wrote:
+1

I'm seeing him for a fitting on the 30th and if he tells me this I will be heeding his advice too!!!
snow report
i have seen the boot room type get very warm to point the the bars where almost untouchable (the room stunk) while my drop in ones are through a usb plug which i think is 2 amp 10W power so very little heat.
ski holidays
I don't like putting boots on that are too warm, as the feet sweat and then feel the cold. I find just hanging them upside down suffices. If they feel damp when I take them off, I take them back to the hotel and remove the liners for the night. The hallways are usually warm enough to dry them
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy