Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Upper body & Arms in front

Poster: A snowHead
Hello everyone.

I need some help Smile

Please take a look at the video below. From my, limited, point of view I have two main problems: too much upper body movement and not keeping arms in front and plant from the wrists. I've tried keeping them in front so I can see them, but it feels very weird. Any suggestions?

http://youtube.com/v/kzr-uUG4u3s&feature=youtu.be
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@mofo, do you have any video on steeper terrain?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hi,

Is this ok? Red jacket, blue pants. Sorry about the quality.

http://youtube.com/v/RQWK45WtKk8
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@mofo, thanks, that makes clearer what I thought I could see a hint of on the easy terrain.

When analysing skiing it's best to start with what the skis are doing. In your second clip are your skis finding early grip and providing you with enough control to influence the shape of the turn? I'd say not. The beginning of the the turn is a little rushed, and the skis are skidding / drifting more than is ideal. What you are doing with your arms has relatively little to do with this, at best a secondary factor. I think you should concentrate on standing more effectively on the outside ski at the start of the turn (at the moment you tend to drop your shoulders in to the turn, banking rather than angulating), and not rushing things. Once you get a stronger setup phase to the turn you can use the forces you are generating to tip and balance against the skis more effectively, giving you more control over your turn shape. This will probably reduce your tendency to twist your shoulders, as your skis will be turning effectively so subconsciously you'll feel less need to twist your upper body to get the turns that you want.

As for your arms, providing they are not causing any upper body rotation (they aren't) and you are able to do a well timed pole plant (you are), does it matter so much what you do with them?
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I'm a snowboarder, but to me the word "angulation" came to mind in both.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thank you @rob@rar for the feedback, very good and unexpected. Some friends told me I tend to rush the turn, not finising it.

I'll try to practice early edge & grip and come back with the results. Smile
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@mofo, doesn't look very dynamic, the legs aren't doing much (knee bend) and it's not very aggressive.

Your upper body is lightly swinging in line with the ski's when it should be facing the fall line with ski's driving left and right underneath you.

Note: I am not a ski instructor
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
mofo wrote:
Hi,

Is this ok? Red jacket, blue pants. Sorry about the quality.

Not a very imaginative colour combination, but you can just about get away with it. Agree about the quality.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Austrian Seagull, now I don't know what to do next, buy a skipass or change the clothes? Smile
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
mofo wrote:
@Austrian Seagull, now I don't know what to do next, buy a skipass or change the clothes? Smile

I’d go with the skipass and follow Layne’s advice. Also, get those hands out in front and put a bit more energy into the pole plant.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@rob@rar is an excellent instructor - take his advice. It matters what the skis are doing, not what your upper body is doing. When I did a week's ski clinic, some years ago, the instructor only videod our legs and skis. Although we nearly all wore black salopettes he knew exactly who was who. I was the one with non-parallel shins (though not the only one).
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Though when it gets steep and nasty I always find it really useful to remember to keep that inside arm up and forward. When I did an off piste week with easiksi (another excellent instructor) she was yelling "Arm, Arm, Arm" as we struggled to commit ourselves to a steep turn. And her video showed clearly that it was when I let that inside arm drop that I fell over. Sometimes we just need something simple to hang on to!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Next weekend I'll practice more. It is very difficult to find real technical instructors in Romania and just watching videos online doesn't cut it. Smile
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
What helps me with the hands thing is to bump my fists up in front of my face when starting off, also skiing without pole with hands and arms doing a superman thing as a drill.
What rob says.
A stronger pole plant to set up the turn.
Slightly off topic maybe give skiers you’re passing a bit more room.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I am not an Instructor, but FWIW, this is my view.

- Get the weight onto the uphill ski early
- Change edges by projecting body forward and across the skis
- Drive the skis (especially the d/hill ski) by flexing at the the ankles
- Control speed by holding onto the turn longer, rather than skidding the skis sideways..ie don't force the turn

As others have said, your skiing just looks a little passive
snow conditions
What @rob@rar said. I thought this was the key bit:

Quote:

I think you should concentrate on standing more effectively on the outside ski at the start of the turn (at the moment you tend to drop your shoulders in to the turn, banking rather than angulating), and not rushing things. Once you get a stronger setup phase to the turn you can use the forces you are generating to tip and balance against the skis more effectively, giving you more control over your turn shape

@rob@rar

I wouldn't be worrying about arms or upper body movement (pretty decent as is, priority is elsewhere). I think you want more separation between upper and lower body to drive higher edge angles and I think the starting point for that is getting the weight over the outside ski just as Rob says.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy