Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Pinched nerve in neck

Poster: A snowHead
Managed to crunch my entire left side from head to waist rolling over in bed and manfully holding in a sneeze at the same time so I didn’t cover my partner in it. Has led to quite bad neck pain where it meets the shoulder which means I can’t turn my head that far and tilting up and down is painful, causing a body spasm.

Seen doc which has said it’s a pinched nerve and given me diazepam, naproxen and tramadol but 8 days later no better. Seen a physio and chiro but they only make a difference until I move my head suddenly (go over a pothole or dodge something) and then it’s back to hurting.

Supposed to be off for a week in Norway on Sunday with the prebbw 4 weeks later. Any advice or has anyone had a steroid injection in that area to combat the problem?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
What did the Chiropractor say and Physio say? - and did they comment on how long it would take to settle/how bad it is/whether you should be well enough to ski.

IME. A mixture of rest, taking anti - inflammatories and seeing an Osteopath/Chiropractor (my preference is for the former) should see it settle, provided there is nothing else going on. It may still be sore, but improving, by Sunday.

Find out the names of Practitioners in the resort you are going to, in case you need further treatment while away.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
a cortisone shot is usually last option.
Have you tried acupuncture?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Doc was very meh.... who knows how long could be 6-8 weeks could be 18 months

Chiro was more upbeat and said we could see improvement, but probably wont be gone away by then

Never tried acupuncture as scared of needles and have a phobia one will break off in my skin, but at the stage where I would now consider it. The physio who fixed my leg is a qualified acupuncturist, but currently away in Chile.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Oitbc wrote:
Doc was very meh.... who knows how long could be 6-8 weeks could be 18 months

Chiro was more upbeat and said we could see improvement, but probably wont be gone away by then

Never tried acupuncture as scared of needles and have a phobia one will break off in my skin, but at the stage where I would now consider it. The physio who fixed my leg is a qualified acupuncturist, but currently away in Chile.

IME. Docters are not usually great at sorting this sort of thing. It's usually a matter of giving anti inflammatories and telling you to take it easy until it improves (which it may do).

It sounds like (and I'm not medically trained), that your muscles have all tightened up to protect the area - and this needs to settle down.

Adjustments can help with allowing things to settle down. I suspect your Chiro will want to see you a couple more times before going (what did he tell you was wrong? ie. which Vertebrae were jammed).
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Husband did similar 2 years ago, similar timings as well he did it putting up new light fittings. Got referred here -https://www.blackberryclinic.co.uk/ - on our BUPA and ended up with directed injections into the spine. Worked for him. Was able to ski that winter just took it easy.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
He reckons the neck is a secondary issue and it’s ribs 5 and 6 that have popped out again. Each time he manipulates to put them back it all feels better but then any sharp movement causes the pain to come back. The left side of my neck is incredibly sore and tight.

I found a physio ultrasound guided injection company online in London as the BlackBerry one is a little far away in Oxford or Guildford for the closest.

Alternatively I have found a local acupuncture chap who can see me on Wednesday.

Don’t know if I should do the steroid or acupuncture
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Well after a call with the steroid person and being advised it would require an mri and be in the region of £2-3k, I’m going to stick with chiro and acupuncture trial. Shock
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Oitbc,

Stick with physio.
Try to keep moving.
Take the analgesia.
Be very very careful with who you let stick a needle into your neck

Jonathan Bell
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Oitbc, As per @Jonathan Bell, definitely stick with the physio, possibly a few very regular sessions. But certainly don't rule out the acupuncture if the physio can also administer that.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Did the same...tried everything...fed up of weeks of painkillers and physio, even bowen did not do it... acupuncture solved it, i was very sceptical ...but it worked..make sure you see a very experienced chap. Not a doctor who did a 2 day course..
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Oitbc, I did a very similiar thing about 8 years ago. Naproxen and intensive Physio (6 sessions over 2 weeks) did the trick, I went from barely able to move to skiing freely. Unfortunately this episode was due to arthritis in my neck at levels 5/6 & 6/7 (vertibrae not ribs) and is progressive. I do keep it in check with Naproxen and occasional physio.

I work in healthcare and whilst it is my own opinion I would not let an osteopath or chiropractor anywhere near my neck!!
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thanks all, the acupuncture person did a 5 year course in Beijing rather than a weekend course so he is a traditional Chinese medicine person. We shall see if my scepticism and fear of needles is overcome.

Physio is just basically massaging the neck with the Iam tool I have myself (bought to help with ankle when I had my op 2 years ago) - so maybe find a better physio as well.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
No advice I'm afraid other than letting time take its course. For Norway take lots of painkillers with you.

Personally I neither believe in Chiro nor acupuncture but good luck with both.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Massage therapist may help, I definitely agree try different physios.

Chiropractors I'm sceptical of, you are held up by muscles pulling on bones, if your muscles are out of balance then someone lining you up nicely is not going to last long. However some of them are give very good exercise advice. I'd do as a last resort.

Practically I'd also search whiplash exercises on YouTube and do those daily.

With regards steroids some research suggests IM steroid is as effective as intrarticular for knees. This is free and may be available from your GP. I wouldn't be dropping cash on an ultrasound guided one myself.

I'm a GP.
ski holidays
My physio (good one, ex Championship football team physio) tried acupuncture for some back and neck issues I was having. It didn't agree with me, I felt quite bad, and he abandoned it.
snow report
Tried anything as simple as hot wheat bags (large size - or hot water bottles)? Lots of...
And deep heat / Tiger Balm, gentle stretching and the right balance of rest and gentle exercise.
Massage/sports therapists could well be useful; Emmet Technique also has had surprisingly good results with many muscle & nerve type problems for me over the past few years.
snow conditions
Hmmm I think the universe is telling me no to acupuncture as the chap cancelled my appointment this morning as he is ill.
ski holidays
best keep popping the pills then, ...does not work for everything, but after 3 weeks of very little sleep i was beyond caring..i tried it and it worked, if it hadnt i woudm have seen a witch doctor next i was that desperate ..!! my wife is a sports massage therapist and bowen practitioner... neither worked !! and pain killers 'bunged' me up and i don't like taking stuff long term that don't cure anything. but each to his own..
ski holidays
I would NOT go to a chiropractor. Unfortunately two years ago I had a vertebral artery dissection, which has caused a few issues and I now have an arterial stent in my neck (placed 4 weeks ago). The number one cause of it is chiropractic manipulation; its the first question any neuro or stroke doctor asks when you dissect. Google stroke and chiropractor and vertebral artery dissection. Honestly, its not worth the risk. Look at where the vertebral arteries go in and out of the spine at the top and review whether its a good idea to manipulate. Most common cause of stroke in young people.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy