Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tecnica Zero-G Tour Pro - One Year On ...

Poster: A snowHead
From LeeLau on TGR:

I've used almost every Intuition possible including all the Wrap liners. The PowerWrap for eg was too much of a compromise for ROM but added approx 10pts of stiffness and was warm. The Pro-Wrap (I think that's the name of the red one) was ungodly stiff. Only big boys could make those work and my 78kgs barely budged them so they got binned.

I've stuck a 27 TourWrap in my 26.5 Tecnica Zero G Tour Pros after my stock liners started packing out (after 60+ days mind you). Keep in mind a size 26 tecnica is like a sz 27 Scarpa or Dynafit. The TourWrap took up room but in such a good way! When i go to downhill mode the heelhold is like a vice; this is good. Instep pressure was a bit much pre-cook but excellent after cooking. Same with forefoot. Best of all is that the warmth of the liner is much appreciated as I'm a wimpy coastal Canuck and -20deg C got my feet cold. When touring the liner is a chameleon and is beautifully comfortable for walking.

As a data point I tried the old ZGTP liners in one day and a pair of older ProTour Intution liners also. I feel like both of those liners are at least 5 pts less stiffer than the TourWrap. I guess if I had to reach that the TourWrap didn't tour as well but I'd be micro-parsing to find the difference. Bottom line is that a boot like the ZGTP (or the HawX XTD) with 55 degrees of ROM has more useable ROM than most ankles can feel anyhow so maybe there's the reality check.

With 10 days on the Tour Wraps I am totally satisfied. I am trying some thin footbeds in them to fart around but that's curiosity more than anything

https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/showthread.php/319494-Intuition-Tour-Wrap
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@BobinCH, I am wondering if you don't just need to spend some more time in them? I've had a couple of crappy days feeling very minus mojo but have now got my head around them. And am quite happy ... they're not plug race boots but that wasn't the question.

Was supposed to go touring with the filles who ski this morning but they've bailed on account of it not being sunny enough. So it'll just be me and the sis in law wandering up La Tour. In the clouds.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@under a new name, in my experience you can tell pretty quickly if a setup works or not. I like the boots, but they definitely work better for me with a more solid liner. That seems to be a common experience from here and elsewhere. My liners are old and one of the tongues is broken hence the reason for looking at some new ones. And the Kastle / Xenics combo was not working so why not try the binding shim - Spyderjon’s reco is good enough for me. If I’ve got it wrong I’m pretty confident the guys in Sole will tell me! The beauty of SnowHeads collective wisdom (hopefully) Happy
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@BobinCH, that's usually my experience as well, but I knew this was going to be a bit of a leap so I anticipated a ohmygodwhathaveidone moment (Which happened) but also a Imadethisdecisionandhavetolivewithitforawhile period and it seems to have turned out OK.

If I had an infinite budget (on a scale of a few infinities) I'd probably be back in the shop acquiring a pair of Mach1s ... but I don't and I have a very frowny Mrs U who was not impressed by some comments the other night over touring boots longevity ... wink
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@under a new name, you bought the Z-G TP’s as a touring boot or quiver of one boot? For me it is just for touring - I have some Nordica Speedmachine 130’s which are much more supportive and robust for downhill. To be fair, I can remember the day, not so long ago, when you were unconvinced of the need for any ski beyond a 65mm waist so the transformation to Mantras and Touring Boots is quite something snowHead
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@BobinCH, Happy quiver of one!

That’s what moving to Cham does for you!

I’ll be telemarking next. Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
under a new name wrote:
I’ll be telemarking next. Madeye-Smiley

Definitely easier to do with touring bindings and boots than alpine stuff... but I'd love to see that. Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@BobinCH, Take the shim idea to the back of your mind for now, so many other parameters to effect things, let's see how the boots are first and see how we can change the balance from there, you'll be with Seb.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
under a new name wrote:
@BobinCH, I am wondering if you don't just need to spend some more time in them? I've had a couple of crappy days feeling very minus mojo but have now got my head around them. And am quite happy ... they're not plug race boots but that wasn't the question.

Was supposed to go touring with the filles who ski this morning but they've bailed on account of it not being sunny enough. So it'll just be me and the sis in law wandering up La Tour. In the clouds.

I'm happy in the stock liner - for now (~10 days in them?) but there is more faff than the Cochise getting it right and like @BobinCH I m running 2 boots and so I see the difference frequently. I d be expecting to use the Intuition liner (if I indeed get it) in both boots potentially, as I do occasionally tour in the Cochise (i.e. on a trip, I can take more than 1 pair skis but 2 pairs of boots is pushing it...). And with the snow pack this year I suspect my European skiing is definitely going to be Earn Your Turns Confused Puzzled
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
This was my problem. I wanted touring boots (almost doubled my skinning experience by now) and have been hankering after a 1 boot quiver for years. @zzz convinced me it was a good idea ...
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@under a new name, don't go blaming me Wink
I come from a one boot quiver of Maestrale rs. These are easy better than those.
On a different note I have a pair of Kore 99's on test tomoz.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@zzz, well, I seem to have got used to them Happy just about.

At the end of the day I used to not bother with many of my clips anyway.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So after a visit to the very nice Seb @ Sole yesterday I have a variety of inserts to play with. Already feeling better today. Let’s see on the crusty variable stuff!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
BobinCH wrote:
So after a visit to the very nice Seb @ Sole yesterday I have a variety of inserts to play with. Already feeling better today. Let’s see on the crusty variable stuff!

what was Sebs verdict on the problem?
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Mother hucker wrote:
BobinCH wrote:

what was Sebs verdict on the problem?

“You are Eeeenglish. You cannot ski”
ski holidays
Front spoilers added to add a bit more resistance, ramp under right heel to address lack of flexion in right ankle and some 3-4mm pads under forefoot to counter the delta angle. Definitely made a difference although the pads crush my toes a bit. Reckon @spyderjon has nailed it with the binding shim. Also noticed my wife’s 164cm FX96’s are mounted a fair bit further back despite similar ski shape. Both are at recommended point. If I get the shim wondering whether it’s worth moving the mount back a bit?
Front of the skis are almost alongside each other...
latest report
164's vs ?
Also different skis have the mount point line in very different places depending on how the designer feels bindings should be mounted, the recommended mount point on my DPS 112's is a couple of cm back from the all-mountain line on my Faction CT 3.0's and the "Candide" line is 3cm further forward!!!
ski holidays
KenX wrote:
164's vs ?

vs 178

Ski shape very similar, the TX98 has an earlier rise tip than the FX96. Tails almost identical. TX is touring range, FX freeride range. I guess a more centre mounted position may be better for touring?
snow report
https://backcountrymagazine.com/gear/whats-inside-counts-master-bootfitters-guide-footbeds-liners/

Some interesting thoughts here
latest report
@Dabber, love a chap who knows how to use the word "distal"... wink
snow report
and,

"You marry your boots, you date your skis. "

I have quite a few pairs of skis...
ski holidays
BobinCH wrote:
Front spoilers added to add a bit more resistance, ramp under right heel to address lack of flexion in right ankle and some 3-4mm pads under forefoot to counter the delta angle. Definitely made a difference although the pads crush my toes a bit.

Really? Definitely your technique! Wink
snow report
BobinCH wrote:
I put some old intuitions in and it made a big difference. The stock liners are much lighter/thinner and quickly got squishy in challenging conditions (this was on my 2nd day skiing them).

I'm not saying that my Mk1 liners (no idea if they have changed to a Mk2) have packed out after 36 days skiing - but comfort was achieved again last week by adding a 40mm wide strip of 5mm mouse mat down the shin between the (laced in) tongue and boot! This was only a temporary solution because the boots were returned to Tecnica yesterday and I don't know whether they will provide new liners and shells or just shells.
snow report
I did my first tour in my Zero G Pro’s yesterday, covering 5.5km and 850m vertical. My first impressions are as expected, way lighter than my previous Atomic Waymaker Tours, with much better articulation.

I’m still working on the tightness/looseness of the buckles as on my right boot I was getting pressure on the inside front of my right ankle, but only on very flat or downhill sections, the steeper it got the pressure disappeared. Tightening the 3rd buckle (as opposed to having it lose), helped a lot, so I guess my foot was moving slightly. My left foot which usually causes all the trouble was perfect (fingers crossed).

On a side note the ATK Crests I’m using for the first time seem really solid, they tour beautifully, and I didn’t notice them on the down, or the delta angle which must not be that different to Dynafit ST’s which I skied on yesterday.
ski holidays
@PowderAdict, I did my longest (in all 3 dimensions, time distance and vertical) rando today and they were just great. I still think there's some fettling to be done for the down, and possibly a bit of packing to get the liner a wee bit snugger, but really pleased so far.
ski holidays
@under a new name, concur. Great on the up. Light, comfortable, good range of movement. For the down the Intuition Pro Tour liner makes a significant difference! In addition there’s a thick shin plate added by Seb from Sole. With these mods, I’m also very happy with the down. Amazing support for such a light boot! I’m going to shim the Xenic binding as I’m sure the delta angle is hindering getting the skis flat.
snow conditions
I’ve got over 2700m on mine now over 4 tours, including reaching the summit of this erratic rock in the middle of the glacier on the way to the Fluchthorn (3790m) Very Happy

Foto 25.01.20, 10 40 15<script></script>

The boots are great, and the only thing I miss compared to my Waymaker’s is the Boost power strap. I’ve had the Boost strap on my boots for 10+ years, and I’d forgotten how soft they make the end of the flex. That being said, the convenience of the quick release on the Tecnica outweighs that.

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Mon 27-01-20 9:04; edited 1 time in total
snow report
BobinCH wrote:
@under a new name, concur. Great on the up. Light, comfortable, good range of movement. For the down the Intuition Pro Tour liner makes a significant difference! In addition there’s a thick shin plate added by Seb from Sole. With these mods, I’m also very happy with the down. Amazing support for such a light boot! I’m going to shim the Xenic binding as I’m sure the delta angle is hindering getting the skis flat.

Did you get the normals "Intuition pro tour" or that "hybrid" that Sole have? Are much worse than originals Palau on the up?

I'm still skiing the originals Palau in my ZeroG Guide, but after 60 days I'm starting to think changing them, maybe next season..
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@AlTom, Mine are the ones from Sole - there’s a picture of them a few pages back.

For me they are fine on the up. Obviously a bit bulkier and heavier than the originals but that’s a small price to pay for the support on the down, especially in tricky snow.

I’m keeping the stock liners for much longer tours where the reduced weight / additional comfort is more important than the downhill
snow report
oui4ski wrote:
BobinCH wrote:
I put some old intuitions in and it made a big difference. The stock liners are much lighter/thinner and quickly got squishy in challenging conditions (this was on my 2nd day skiing them).

I'm not saying that my Mk1 liners (no idea if they have changed to a Mk2) have packed out after 36 days skiing - but comfort was achieved again last week by adding a 40mm wide strip of 5mm mouse mat down the shin between the (laced in) tongue and boot! This was only a temporary solution because the boots were returned to Tecnica yesterday and I don't know whether they will provide new liners and shells or just shells.

Tecnica have thrown away my nearly two year old Zero G Guide Pro's and are very kindly sending me some "Cochise Light Dyn" under warranty (apparently a different colour, but otherwise virtually identical to the originals).
snow report
Anyone else had trouble with the walk to ski lever falling off? Appears to be attached with 2 bolts. I have had the top of the 2 totally fall out twice now. Both times fortunate to find the piece on disengagement and then get it reattached at shop that had a matching replacement screw. I'm thinking of applying some loc-tite myself at home before the next failure.
ski holidays
mr. mike wrote:
Anyone else had trouble with the walk to ski lever falling off? Appears to be attached with 2 bolts. I have had the top of the 2 totally fall out twice now. Both times fortunate to find the piece on disengagement and then get it reattached at shop that had a matching replacement screw. I'm thinking of applying some loc-tite myself at home before the next failure.

Yup, same issue - started coming loose then I screwed it back in in time. I think loctite is the way ahead.
ski holidays
@mr. mike, addressed on the previous page. You are not alone...
latest report
As per the previous page, I had a look at the screws on mine. They were very tight – I'd have to apply a lot of force to release them, so I left them alone. Is this a folly I shall later regret on the side of a hill?
latest report
@mr. mike, whether it’s a “recent” fix, the tecnica instructions for changing the forward lean include a directictive to use a loctite type glue ...
snow report
Since the screws either come loose or are rock solid, maybe it was a missed manufacturing step or a change in process, so those with 'early' boots have the issue and it was then rectified.
latest report
Just had a pair back after 200 days use, they're in great condition. Expected wear on soles, as to be expected in CHX after such a period. A buckle needs replacing, rivets need compressing to tighten pivot. Super impressed by this boot, to the degree I have to ask, "Why buy anything else."

All factor's considered.
latest report
@under a new name, will break out the loctite when I return home. Need to get a screw in the correct length first, however. The replacement that the shop guy had to get me through yesterday is about 20% longer than is necessary...
ski holidays
it seems appropriate to throw up a little update Laughing

Been out 20 days or so this year, obviously mostly rando but a few days sneaking over the border for some mechanical assistance Twisted Evil

- Somehow, over the summer, I seem to have got used to them. Not the slightest sensation of being backseated. Ever. And we have skied some fair old crap.

- Liners beginning to slump. Niklas has reinforced and padded my ankles but new liners on the menu for next season.

- Still unreasonably comfortable snowHead snowHead
snow conditions
PowderAdict wrote:
The boots are great, and the only thing I miss compared to my Waymaker’s is the Boost power strap. I’ve had the Boost strap on my boots for 10+ years, and I’d forgotten how soft they make the end of the flex. That being said, the convenience of the quick release on the Tecnica outweighs that.

Realise this is over 1 year old but - is it not possible to put booster straps on the Zero-G's ?
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy