Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

First skis

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hey all. Yes, it's another "what ski?" question...

A bit about me: early forties, 185cm and trying to get from 100 to 90kg. Intermediate: been a few times as a youth then a few more as an adult, ok carving an easy blue, will knife and fork it down a steeper red or the easier blacks. Not quite as fit as I should be. Pretty average once-a-year recreational dad skier, I reckon.

I guess I'm looking for something that flatters and improves confidence on the piste, maybe lets me try off-piste a bit without immediately falling flat on my face as per previous. Would like to improve carving and speed up a bit.

It seems to have been Rossignol the last few times, mostly experience 80, but last time I tried out the 88s. Really didn't feel comfortable with those, but that might have been the flat light, icier conditions, meniscus tear or roaring fever, not sure.

Thinking of buying because I'm a sucker for the new and shiny self-mainenance sort and drive to the slopes because we love on the continent. Figured I'd save after the third or fourth year, and feel I'd benefit from keeping things the same. Might even encourage an extra weekend here and there. I simply don't have the experience or patience to waste my one week a year trying loads of kit: I reckon I'd just ski round them, and would be more affected by the conditions that day and last night's wine than what's on my feet. Don't have a fixed budget, but will be keeping a close eye on the sale rack and the discounters.

I'm sure there are a few ways I could go, and I don't want to get too hung up on minor differences between brands. However, for those who have been through this stage (and come out of the other side, which appears to be most of you), do you have any recommendations for what specs I should be looking at, and any particularly good or popular starters for 10?

Many thanks
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I know nothing technical but I am also late 40's, also 100Kg wishing to get to 90 & could be fitter than I am. Likewise I only started skiing again 4 years ago & if I go off piste it's by accident.
I knew nothing about specs & bought the Rossignol experience 80's because they were on a promotional sale & I have to say I have been very happy with them, they don't seem to skip about, they grip when I manage a carve & generally have stood the test of time for me.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
If you are mostly staying on Piste, but want to experiment with a little Off Piste, then you want (imo) something around 80mm underfoot, so:

Salomon XDR 80 Ti

Atomic Vantage 82 Ti

Scott Slight 83

The above skis are light, easy to use, more Piste orientated and have headroom to grow.

Check out the reviews and see if any might suit. The Salomon and the Atomic would be better On Piste. The Scott, slightly easier Off Piste.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
https://www.glisshop.co.uk/ski-set-bindings/dynastar/alpine-ski-set-legend-x-84-bindings6997783
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
↑↑↑ that's a cracking deal with Tyrolia Attack 11 bindings as well. Perfect ski for the sort of thing you're after
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@Meltus, +1 for that - I was looking at it on Black Friday and it was even cheaper - if I wasn't getting new boots this year.....
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I really enjoyed the Scott Slight 93 and assume the 83 would be even more piste based so could be worth considering, as suggested above.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Very interesting. Had a quick look at reviews: they appear most complimentary, although I read one that suggested not the best for heavier skiers. But at what standard?

If I was to go with that, what length would you suggest? I assume 177?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
At your height and weight I'd go for the 184.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
ive never understood the weight length thing, is it surface to wait, so if you went wider could you go shorter, IE same SQCM
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I quite liked the Nordica Navigator 85, normally you can find some good prices on that. And go beyond 180, the effective edge of those skis are much smaller. I'm 5'10 and tried the 179 long.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Just checked the one photo I have of rentals (experience 80 from 2 years ago) and they were 168s?!
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Norwegian Blue wrote:
Just checked the one photo I have of rentals (experience 80 from 2 years ago) and they were 168s?!

Shocked
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
https://www.proskilab.co.uk/c/ski-reviews-2020-men-s-intermediate
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Jonny996 wrote:
ive never understood the weight length thing, is it surface to wait, so if you went wider could you go shorter, IE same SQCM

It's to do with how the ski bends, nothing to do with surface of the ski.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy