Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski touring around Furano

Poster: A snowHead
Heading out to Hokkaido 13th February 5 days in Furano and 5 days in niesko and would like to do some ski touring in Tokachidake and Asahidake , can anyone give advice on where is the best place to start on mt Tokachidake and give advice on trail routes we would only attempt this on a clear day as we won't have a guide
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Stayed hostel here: 十勝岳温泉郷
Fukiage, Kamifurano, Sorachi District, Hokkaido 071-0579, Japan
https://goo.gl/maps/gh15Fbkk6NEPyUVQ7
And drove to Onsen car park here to tour up to Tokachi summit, number of routes, all doable with planning:
Dropped pin
Near Fukiage Hot Spring Health Center, Fukiage, Kamifurano, Sorachi District, Hokkaido 071-0579, Japan
https://goo.gl/maps/redhULYCHC7u2J67A

From the hostel, there is a great lap down to lower on the road and get a mate to bring you back up ;o)

There’s also a stunning natural onsen in the middle of a forest somewhere around there, can’t locate it but it was beautifully temperature-unregulated and supper-hot: came out looking like uncooked salmon
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?

I did a day tour on Tokachidake last season. If you start from the main onsen car park, there was a well defined flat’ish path through the woods, until the terrain opened up onto the lower slopes. When we were there the weather was poor, but there were still several groups touring, so on a sunny day plenty of people will be out, you shouldn’t have any difficulties seeing the best routes.

There is nothing quite like a ski tour with the potential of an eruption Shocked

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Mon 9-12-19 20:13; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
PowderAdict wrote:

There is nothing quite like a ski tour with the potential of an eruption Shocked

Especially after what’s happening in NZ!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
BobinCH wrote:
PowderAdict wrote:

Especially after what’s happening in NZ!

Apologies for any offence caused, I wasn’t aware of the White Island event.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I would love to experience an eruption but not when I'm on the mountain! Thanks for the advice everyone.
I just need good visibility mid February probably not the best time for touring. In 2018 we went to asahidake but there was a complete white out at the top of the rope way so had to settle for chest deep powder in the trees
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
This thread will keep you up to date

https://www.ski.com.au/xf/threads/furano-asahi-dake-tokachi-kamui-tomamu-2020.85905/#post-4105070
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Mike Pow, That is a useful thread Very Happy

That new Fenix Furano building by the lift is a little out of keeping for Furano (at least the Prince hotels are hidden). I'll admit that a few of the hotels are stuck in a time warp, that is going a little far in the other direction.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Yeah it's out there for sure
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Hi - My wife and I skied in Tokachidake for a week at a similar time of year, four years ago. Mostly skied with a guide from Chuck’s team at Hokkaido Powder Guides who was very good. We had one day of clear weather during the week but had a fantastic time, it’s a magical place!

Drop into the backcountry shop in Furano (linked in the Oz thread that Mike posted) to pick up local maps and advice, I believe they also arrange guided groups.

There are three main easily accessible zones in Tokachidake. Our favourite in poor vis was the lower slopes / ridges of Furanodake, accessed from the Baden junction/car park as described in the Oz link. When we were there it was quiet, perhaps 1-2 other groups, sometimes didn’t see any. But sounds like it has now increased in popularity!

As a disclaimer - without knowing your experience and not meaning to cause any offence - we felt much more comfortable with a guide to show us the local area, which to me felt quite remote and unfamiliar in terms of snowpack, forecasts and language. And obviously they know the best spots (if you do go with Chuck ask him about “the Brazilian” a skidoo then skin accessed line which I think we were the first clients to ski). YMMV!

Have a great time.

Rob
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I highly recommend Kamihoroso in Fukiage to stay. The onsen in the woods is indeed great fun at the end of the day.
The Tokachidake area is not like the rest of Japan, the terrain is not as forgiving. You can have long nice gullies ending up with a 20m drop that you would not have guessed, or changing snow conditions that can be treacherous. Highly recommend a guide. Also, without a guide, you are likely to miss the best spots. Most of the nice routes yoyo quite a bit, they can be tricky to find.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks Rob / Bruno z will take a guide if available but tend to go places last minute depending on conditions guides were booked up last time I was there. you need a clear day to climb Ashadaki or Tokachidake last time we went to Ashadaki it was a white out but still had fun skiing the lower chutes and trees. I was skiing in Revelstoke a while back and ended up above a 40ft cliff band, ended up with a long climb out easy done there as signs not that good learnt my lesson though don't ski what you can't see. Looks like plenty of clear skies at the moment when is it going to snow it needs a good dump to cover the bamboo
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
All you need is here

https://hokkaidowilds.org/skitour

All topos available from GSI including 3D. Do not travel without a compass and altimeter and remember to file route plan with police online through hokkaidowilds
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.

http://youtube.com/v/oAjayWnieXw
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Dabber, was that your lad on the board?
ski holidays
@spyderjon, yep , this was on his year working in rusitu , he's now qualified AMGA split board guide and doing really well over in BC
snow conditions
@Dabber, Cool
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy