Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

La Thuile

Poster: A snowHead
Hi everyone. I was wondering if there is anyone amongst us who has visited La Thuile for a skiing holiday and has any information/pointers on the resort, skiing area etc. We just booked a holiday 23/2-1/3 2020. Many thanks in advance!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Where are you staying?

I love La Thuile, it's a great resort!

Infact i'm just trying to plan a cheeky trip for a few days in Feb as snow is looking to be good this year!
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Lovely little resort. The town is very small with a few nice restaurants and very little else. It’s really in two sections with the old town initially and then up a hill the Planibel Hotel and apartment complex up at the foot of the slopes. The mountain is good with plenty of wide easy blue and red pistes up high and a couple of steep black slopes lower down. You can ski into Rossiere in France too but there is a very long drag lift back up to get access to La Thuile which is not great for snowboarding. Like most Italian resorts it’s cheap and the people are lovely too. It’s also only 30 minutes from Courmayer if you fancy a days skiing there.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@psyxologos, we love La Thuile. TR for 2018 - https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=3200246&highlight=thuile#3200246
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks. We are staying in Planibel apartment complex. Having spent 9 seasons in Saas Fee and Zermat and two each in Obergurgl and Garmisch we fancied a change of scenery. I am hoping it will be nice.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
So the Planibel is right next to the main gondola that goes up to Les Suches ski area. Its a small walk to the village for more restaurants. It has a bar a small supermarket etc nearby. Its not fancy but its functional and in a great location.

Near by the Taverna Coppapan and Pizzeria is pretty decent.

I like La Grotta in the town (well priced Italian food and not pretentious).
I also like suggest you check out Le Coq Maf for great steaks and Italian local cuisine.

On the Slope i like La Meleze for coffees, drinks and or a sandwich or light bite...though they do do some cooked stuff. Tbh for proper food i prefer Lo Ratrak. You can still get an espresso for around 1euro something and iirc a cafe corretto (con grappa) for around 1.50ish.

Depending on what you like to ski the terrain is fairly varied.

I always enjoy skiing over to the red bowl based around the Arnouvaz and Argillien Express lifts.
If the snow is good i like taking run 17 to 18 to 6 back down the village (only if the snow is good). Likewise red 7 back to village can be good as well as black 2 and 3 .

I always ski over to Fort on the French side (La Rosiere) the cruisers that take you here Blue 26 and 55 have great views down to France. Fort is an old Napoleonic fort and has great views.
Here you can ski down into La Rosiere proper and also to their new ski area at Mont Valaisan which is well worth checking out.

I read an article this week that compared best value/cheapest ski resorts in europe and La Thuile came near the top.

It really is good value compared to Switzerland for buying food and drinks on and off the mountains. Even the passes are reasonably priced.

If you are mobile and dont mind an easy drive head over the fancy resort or Courmayeur. There are some nice restarants and shops and amazing scenery of Monte Bianco of course. You can head up and ski or just enjoy the view from the Skyway Monte Bianco at Punta Hellbronner, well worth a trip imo.

Hope that helps.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
some brief info here from my very enjoyable trip last spring https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=3397710&highlight=thuile#3397710
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
We went a few years ago early April (not school holidays). We discovered that to get in any of the mountain restaurants need to book ahead- just that morning seemed to work. Can’t remember names of any but think I found them on here somewhere.

Have a great time Cool
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@MCL, gosh. We are out there in April. Is this for all of them?
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@NickyJ, definitely no need to book when we were there in early April. Really enjoyed the place and would definitely return.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I've been in Dec, Jan Feb and March over the years and never had to book at a mountain slope side restaurant. Some do get busy at peak hours and you may have to wait but booking is not the norm.

Or do you mean restaurants in the village..some do get busy so its recommended (by your hotel) to book (i think so they get a kickback for sending guests) but i never seem to have trouble just turning up...but speaking Italian probably helps a bit though.
I did wait once at the Coppapan though at the weekend...that was busy!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I was there in March & stayed in Planibel Apartments. The skiing was fine, if a bit windy, We had several days where a lot of lifts were closed, particularly the link over to la Rosiere, but since we were out of school holidays there was still plenty of scope on the lower more sheltered runs.
It’s REALLY affordable when compared with France (although to be fair, my last trip was Courchevel) and most of the restaurants, even on the mountain are reasonably priced. In town the two parts are definitely walkable & we found a couple of nice restaurants that we revisited over the course of the week. Planibel had nice food too.
Our favourite spot was the newly opened le Petit Skieur where we rounded off every day’s skiing. Up by the Planibel the Coppapan gets well deserved good reviews and down in the village proper la Grotta was also a really good find, however it may be prudent to book for both. There’s also a very entertaining chap who runs the butcher’s in the complex and will tell you stories of great derring-do whilst plying you with generous quantities of Genepy-style rocket fuel with no apparent desire to sell you anything!
I’m sure you’ll have a great time!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thank you SO much everyone. You all gave such useful tips and made me restless now. I cannot wait to go! Thanks again.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@psyxologos, The best mountain restaurant is Maison Carrel, just below Les Suches before Pista 5, Lo Reindet on Pista 7 is well worth a visit, we used to use Lo Ratrak a lot but haven't been there now for some time, so I can't comment.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Maison Carrel food looks v good. Haven't eaten there but watched plenty of people who have and food looks very very good. And then you can have fun going down Black 5 which is a lovely run
snow report
If the weather is ok then its is a smashing resort. If the weather is windy, then try and stick to the trees (steep though). There is no wind like a Petit San Bernardo wind.
latest report
Looking at the webcams this morning Espace St. Bernardo is looking very inviting. Fingers crossed travel, for us, and everyone this weekend goes well. We leave for La Rosiere on Sunday.
snow report
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
If the weather is ok then its is a smashing resort. If the weather is windy, then try and stick to the trees (steep though). There is no wind like a Petit San Bernardo wind.

It can also be howling in La Thuile and still in La Rosiere, as well as vice versa. If you see the French ski instructors over in La Thuile you'll know it's windy on the other side!
snow report
When I was ther a few years ago the ski bus from Courmayeur to LaThuille was included and you got a couple of days skiing in La Thuille and you could also go to Pila for a day...dont know if that still applies

just looked it up ..here you are:

An extra opportunity!

All those who have a consecutive day period pass (normal season, hight season) are entitled to ski in other resorts in Valle d’Aosta (La Rosière, Alagna included, Zermatt no):

- Valid from 3 to 5 days: one day’s skiing in another Valle d’Aosta resort
- Valid from 6 to 10 days: two days’ skiing in another Valle d’Aosta resort
- Valid 11 to 21 days: three days’ skiing in another Valle d’Aosta resort
snow conditions
https://www.lathuile.it/en/skipass_online.html

As DaveD says, you can use a pass elsewhere for example Cervinia if you buy this way.

You can also buy online if required.
ski holidays
You can also by the Aosta Vallee pass, about €20 more than a normal pass but gives unlimited choice of resorts for its duration, plus the skyway, used it this year and will be doing the same next year based in Courmayuer
ski holidays
Travelling to further resorts in Aosta is probably only worthwhile if you have a car.
Courmayeur is well connected by a regular bus service, which takes just over 30 mins but anywhere else would be far longer and involve changes of bus.
You should have plenty to do with La Thuille, La Ros and Courm given decent conditions.
Another recommendation I often throw out is an evening at the Pres St Didier spa. Just 15 mins on the bus down the valley and a good skiers evening package (with lift pass), which includes a ‘healthy’ buffet.
snow report
It's a bit crap .......
ski holidays
BCjohnny wrote:
It's a bit crap .......

Please elaborate
snow conditions
The ‘healthy buffet’ could be described as a bit crap if you want a proper post ski meal but I certainly would argue against that description for the spa itself.
Or La Thule in general- good resort
ski holidays
The ‘healthy buffet’ could be described as a bit crap if you want a proper post ski meal but I certainly would argue against that description for the spa itself.
Or La Thule in general- good resort
latest report
I thought that BCjohnny meant La Thuile was a bit crap?!
ski holidays
psyxologos I've had a couple of weeks there and just think there are better places to go, for the money.

The main plus is the link to La Rosier ......... unless you're an inexperienced boarder, and then it can end up a long walk.

Other than that there's little else to recommend it, and lots of negatives ....... there are very good reasons why La Thuile, and the Planibel in particular, always come up as cheap last minute deals.

There are just better choices in Italy, and elsewhere ....... JMHO
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@BCjohnny, I'd be interested to hear your alternative suggestions. I think La Thuile has a lot going for it, especially given how cheap it is.
snow report
I've been to La Ros once and La Thuile once, I'd certainly go back to La Thuile again! I'm a decent skier, it has some good blacks, and good off piste. Good on mountain restaurants, reasonable transfer times, good coffee, decent restaurants at night without silly prices.

What kind of negatives are there in your view @BCjohnny, ?
ski holidays
Ok, and I'm trying not to be negative for the sake of it ......

It's been a while since I went, and unless it's changed drastically, which I doubt :

It's certainly not the biggest area, although the link over to La Ros helps broaden the scope ....... however the link is archaic, seems almost nominal, there to deter not encourage moving between the two areas. Seen plenty of people fall off the drag, skiers as well as boarders, good way to ruin your day quickly.

The terrain itself isn't anything special, and the runs into the town can be demanding for some and often can be closed anyway, so a gondola ride down could be the norm.

The nightlife is crap, really crap ...... handful of bars, and the vibe is almost non-existent, boring.

But hey, if you rate the place and have fairly limited aspirations then fair does, be a boring old world if we all liked the same thing, but I will repeat this ......

Quote:
....... there are very good reasons why La Thuile, and the Planibel in particular, always come up as cheap last minute deals.

For little more money you'd be getting a lot more value ....... Sauze for example, or if like me you want it a little quieter, Sestriere over the hill ....... the Via Lattea f'rinstance is just in a different league ...... or one of the cheaper Dolomites, Sella Ronda etc etc bases ......
ski holidays
@BCjohnny, cheers!
ski holidays
To an extent I agree with @BCjohnny but I've only been once in mid March '18. It was very cold most days (for March) with a lot of wind which became tiresome especially higher up. The terrain is OK but blues are limited - not a good resort for beginner/ improver imv. As said the link back from La Rosière is very long and tedious. Runs down to resort are ok if conditions good. For me it lacks width - not a patch on Sauze D'Oulx imv, not in the same league. I'd choose the latter in a heartbeat.

However, the village is pretty with great restaurants and cafes and comparatively cheap. Plus, if you have a 6 day pass you can use it in Cormayeur, including the newish Monte Bianco skyway - a great experience. So, overall the resort is ok but there are better imv. It would need to be cheap for me, say £299 (outside holiday weeks) self- catering package in the (basic) Planibel apartments.
latest report
billb wrote:
It would need to be cheap for me, say £299 (outside holiday weeks) self- catering package in the (basic) Planibel apartments.

I've stayed at the Olympic Village s/c apartments outside of peak for less than that, booked at the death, flts/tfrs/accom ....... basic but knocks the Planibel into fits.

It's below the main town, and although it's a brisk seven minute walk up to Sestriere itself (what do you think this is, a holiday?), it's a saunter down, after a few bevvies.

Located literally just across the road from the gondola that takes you over the hill to Sauze, or the first chair a bit further on that zig zags you up to the main Sestriere area.

Well stocked basement shop, cheap beer and wine ...... well worth a look.
snow report
@BCjohnny, sounds good, thanks. Will bear in mind.
ski holidays
@BCjohnny, you’re right that the apres in La Thuile is crap. It’s fairly dead from that point of view
ski holidays
I def agree with BCjohnny that the link back is a joke, one or two (depending on your choice of routes) draglifts that are old and out of date compared to the rest of the setup there.
France doesn't want to pay and neither does Italy so it seems they are stuck with it!

As a skiier and boarder i think the resort better serves skiers and would appeal less to borders.

I love the resort, but have never much been into the apres ski, as said already we all want something different out of life/holidays/food/terrain (any or all of).

This is an interesting article in the Dailyfail...one thing it shows is Italy is good value!

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/travel_news/article-7756179/The-cheapest-priciest-European-ski-resorts-Borovets-Bulgaria-best-value-Zermatt-worst.html
ski holidays
Interesting points. To be fair, apres ski is not my main interest. I just want a resort that is not too busy, I do not have to wait ages at the lifts and the area has some beauty. Just so you get an idea, I have had eight consecutive years skiing in Saas Fee and loved the glacier etc, I kind of liked Obergurgl but was a bit boring, I enjoyed Garmisch Partenkirchen and I found Zermat in the one holiday I had there enjoyable, but a tad overrated. What I hope to find in La Thuile is just some good skiing and some good food/drink afterwards. I am there with my wife and two children, so the resort has to be family friendly. Do you think I might not get these from La Thuile? Genuine question.
snow conditions
This is the resort for u Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
latest report
@psyxologos, yes you’ll get all that in la Thule
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy