Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

DIY servicing. How long does it take?

Poster: A snowHead
I get asked this question all the time so I thought I’d do a breakdown of the servicing that we did in my shop this week. We use the same processes as the DIY’er to avoid unnecessary base grinds unless the skis/boards do actually needed a grind. On average we grind about 10-12% of the skis/boards that go through the workshop.

Total services was 39 comprising of 1no. pair of blades, 31no. pairs of skis & 7no. boards.

The breakdown of the work performed on the skis/boards was:

2no. wax only
3no. hotbox base prep
16no. edge & wax
11no. edge, minor repairs & wax
5no. edge, major repairs & wax

Included in the above figures were 2no. topsheet delam repairs, 2no. pairs of skis had their sidewalls trimmed back & one of the boards had edges that were rustier than a rusty thing on a rusty day! None of them need a base a grind.

All edge work done by hand to factory angles unless specified otherwise:
Alu-oxide to base edge angles
Alu-oxide to side edge angles
Sidewalls trimmed (if required)
Med cut metal file to side edge angles until hanging burr achieved
200grit & 600grit Moonflex diamond files to side edges
600grit diamond file to base edge to remove hanging burr
Very light pass with a hard gummi at 45 degrees to the base/side edge junction to remove any hanging burr residue

I batch up the skis/boards into their different edge angles (ie, all the 89’s, all the 88’s & all the 87’s) and I have four fixed angle side edge guides for each angle so each cutting tool is clamped to its own guide ready to use. And we use the Jaws of Beast vices as they’re the fastest on the market for re-adjusting for different ski profiles. I’ve got four sets across two benches, one bench for edging and the other for repairs and waxing.

All repair work & core shots were done with a Base Doc II tool to achieve a proper welded repair and we dress down the repair with a sharp chisel and restructure the repair with a suitable grit paper.

All waxing done by hand using Dominator Zoom Lime uni wax and two Maplus 1000W T-10B.15 waxing irons – if you really want to speed up the waxing process then use two irons, one in each hand! Skis/boards heated until warm at the tips etc. The three pairs of skis for hotboxing were then cooked for four hours at 150F/65C. All are then scraped when fully cool and roto brushed. Then a wipe of Zardoz.

Total time taken was 18 hours split between two people. I do all of the edging plus the majority of the repairs and Trev The Wax Monkey does the remaining repairs and all of the waxing.

Not included in this time was the curing time for the topsheet delam repairs which was either 24hrs if just left clamped or I’ve also got heated clamps that will reduce the during time to 20-25mins.

And, unlike when servicing just a single pair of skis/boards, we also don’t need to allow cooling time for the wax as when doing this quantity by the time you’ve finished waxing a batch then the first one done is already cool etc.

So that averages out at just under 28 mins for a pair of skis or a board and includes tea’n’biccies consumption on the hoof. I’ve never found boards to take longer then skis as the extra waxing work is offset by only have two edges to do – so unlike many shops I don’t charge extra for boards although I do insist that they’re brought in with their bindings removed.

So how long will the average DIY’er take to service their skis. Well after a bit a practice I’d work on circa 40-45 minutes for an edge tune, a few p-tex candle repairs and a wax/scrape /brush following the same regime as above – and that time excludes cooling time for the wax.

So how long does it take you?

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Fri 6-12-19 18:31; edited 2 times in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
to long! + I make a mess & nearly ruined a wood floor with the hot wax.
So now I just take it to a shop at the end of the day & pick it up the next day
€10-€15
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I normally reckon about an hour per pair, but I've never taken that much notice. I do tend to batch up the skis in a similar way though, and then do all base edges, then all side edges etc. I usually get distracted when the wax is cooling, then end up doing the scrape in a rush so that I can vacate the kitchen and make the tea rolling eyes
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I do ours outside so the time taken is directly proportional to the temperature, the colder it is the quicker the wax cools and the quicker I want to go inside. A nice sunny and cold day I take my time because it's quite a therapeutic and satisfying exercise. 4 pairs probably took me 2.5 to 3 hours not rushing.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Took me 3h in my first (and still unique) attempt just for side edge and wax cycle. I had the steps listed, I understand mostly their purpose but basically I had no idea if I did it right or wrong so I was very cautions.

It was quite fun and satisfying. I don't think I'm doing for time or money savings, it's just taking control of your equipment performance and doing some active work rather than the usual sitting whole day at the office 9-5.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
As long as possible, with plenty of beer on hand! And a laptop with ski films playing for motivation. Preferred time to do the waxing is when the rain is hammering down so that way I know it is snowing up top.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hmm - usual question is how long I can afford before I have to leave for the airport?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Yeah I like to take my time as I love doing them (I know its snow time soon). We have a group trip once a year when everyone drops their skis and boards in and I service them. 3 boards and 7 sets of skis. Then a smaller group later in the year. Takes me about 45 mins for Ptex, edge and wax.... (set of skis or a board) about an hour and a half for mine!! I tend to do them all over the course of a week. Couple of bottles of beer and a few tunes on the gramophone...its a kind of relaxation therapy.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
It does very much depend on what needs doing since the last service. However, I can spend 1/2 hour on it easily with very little required doing. People who DIY make mistakes initially, then as they get more experienced they really want to DIY. It is not about time saving, or money saving, it is more about understanding of the safety and performance issues. Rather than leaving it to unknown servicer who does not love your skis in the same way. They will probably do a better job than you initially, however you will become better as time goes on and will be able to recognise service requirements better rather than leave it until a service

For example, I took my skis out of the attic this year and inspected them. 1 day skiing since the last service. Nothing needs doing except a top coat of notwax in the car park before the next ski.
Laughing
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Well the edges take about 1 minute to put brake retainers on, into the vice and a quick pass with a Wintersteiger Discman.
Run a gummi and job done.

Base angles then get a quick diamond stone polish...add another 1 minute.

What an edge!
I love that machine...it saves me a huge amount of time over the course of a season as I end up no more than polishing the edge every time as I never let them get blunt....I do them every 2 or 3 days normally, daily if icy.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I am desperate to do ours, but I can barely do anything with my left arm at the moment. Still surgery booked for 23rd Dec, giving me almost two months before our first trip out
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Takes me a lot longer than 28 minutes but I do it for enjoyment as well as knowing they will be tuned correctly and on skis that I am used to - that’s 2 less variables when skiing

I use the similar procedure as Jon starting with Alu oxide stone, then medium file if it’s after a weeks skiing v a touch up with a diamond stone during the week away, then progress to 100, 200,400, 600 diamonds

Has anyone suggested a ski tuning sub forum on Snowheads?, it would be good to have a place to discuss and swap ideas/techniques/ask questions and have it in one place

Edited to clarify use of all oxide stone

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Sat 7-12-19 7:58; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Without any repairs 30 mins sounds about right.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Fish_Head wrote:
......I use the similar procedure as Jon starting with medium file if it’s after a weeks skiing......

Work hardened skiing burrs and rock dings will soon damage/blunt a metal file. I'd recommend using a lower cost alu-oxide stone.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
spyderjon wrote:
Fish_Head wrote:
......I use the similar procedure as Jon starting with medium file if it’s after a weeks skiing......

Work hardened skiing burrs and rock dings will soon damage/blunt a metal file. I'd recommend using a lower cost alu-oxide stone.

I always start with an alu oxide stone Jon for the very reason you stated, I meant start with a file after a week as against starting with a diamond stone if it’s just a touch up during the week away, again the very first thing would to run the Ali oxide stone over the edges

Previous post edited to clarify the use of alu oxide stone

You taught me so I’m mostly copying you Very Happy

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Sat 7-12-19 11:43; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Fish_Head wrote:
I always start with an alu oxide stone Jon for the very reason you stated, I meant start with a file after a week against as against starting with a diamond stone if it’s just a touch up during the week away, again the very first thing would to run the Ali oxide stone over the edges.....

Cool
ski holidays
Such a good thread, thanks for the detailed post @spyderjon!
ski holidays
Yup, cheers spyderjon. I just did our two SL skis (approx an hour each for edging), but my 11 year old Nordica Enforcer rock hoppers needed a good hour and a half; my god were those skis blunt and full of dings. Back to an 87 degree sharp edge so I should get another season out of them for touring and messing about.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy