Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Villars, Leysin, Les Diablerets

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Planning a trip to one of these at the end of December with my 5 year old who has never been skiing (looking at these resorts as easy and cheap to get to from Geneva).
Which would be better in terms of most snow sure (I know none and guaranteed), good for children and with sledging maybe. The skiing is not so important as I don’t think I’ll be doing much of that as it’s his first time!

Thanks
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@munchimo, was there last year at the end of December for 5 days, Les Diablerets and Villars are interconnected. Leysin is standalone. We were staying in Les Diablerets. I can't say we had any issue with the snow on-piste. The best snow was definitely in the bowl of Bretaye and around the Chaux-Ronde. This of course meant it was a bit busy.

Conditions to ski down into Villars and Gryon were considerably worse than Les Diablerets from what I remember.

We drove over to Leysin for a day and it wasn't great there snow-wise - Most lower lifts and the area on the far right looking at the ski map was shut. It might have been the day we went on but the weather wasn't bad just a bit warm, wet and overcast.

Without a doubt the best snow we had was actually on Glacier 3000 - as the name implies a Glacier about 10mins up the valley from Les Diablerets, the ski pass costs a bit more and it can get windy up there but we spent 2 days there and the snow was superb - although the area is limited. But probably some of the best terrain and very good blues for your daughter for skiing. The glacier also has things like husky sledge riding and sledge runs.

There is also night sledging at Les Diablerets:

https://www.villars-diablerets.ch/en/P5978/night-sledging-in-les-diablerets
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@munchimo, when our kids were that age we took them to les Paccots which is (quicker to get to from Vevey) smaller and cheaper. Several of our friends have Magic passes and take their kids to Les Mosses or Villars, although Leysin is also quite popular. Diablerets is further to drive if you’re not staying there. As above glacier 3000 the most snow sure in case it’s really warm. He/she’s only likely to want to ski for a couple of hours so consider also staying down the mountain where there will be more off snow options. For example if you are there before Xmas, Montreux Xmas market is popular and there is an Xmas grotto up at Rocher de Nayes for kids.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
There's a lot of southern facing slopes in Leysin, and its not as high as LD, so LS will have better snow.
But when there's snow, on a sunny days you get great views and it's lovely.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Of the three areas Leysin is my least favourite though, perhaps oddly for a snowboarder, I love connected Les Mosses. However one huge advantage Leysin has for you is the Patinoire and adjacent tobogganing park which looks great fun.

latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Leysin does have a lot for non skiers as it is an 'all year round' resort
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Leysin is small and nice for a day for something different. The village is also not so nice. Les Diablerets is very pretty on the valley floor at 1000 metres with Glacier 3000 towering over it. The runs on the top of the glacier are flat and perfect for beginners but it is cold and not many places for a hot chocolate plus all drags so depends if your five year-old is a total beginner or not. Iseanu which was the beginners area is currently closed. Villars is ideal for little kids - the bowl at Breteye has restaurants - a meeting area and beginners area. The Swiss ski school also offers lessons in the town on a little slope where kids can learn to ski and go in and out and sit in a building under the slope with TV toys ect. Despite everyone saying Villars is not snow sure it now has snow cannons all the way down and is probably easier than ski-ing down to Les Diablerets which can get icy/slushy depending on conditions - so might be a little harder. We have been in Villars 16 years now and in all that time there have only been two seasons when we have not been able to ski at Christmas. The resort opened on a limited basis this weekend. Happy to answer any questions.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks so much, I think I might have to take Les Diablerets off the table now as the hotel I wanted just sold out! (I'm going for a couple of nights over New Year so very limited in choice!). I still have options in Leysin and Villars, but leaning towards Villars from what people are saying. I'm looking at the Viu hotel which is opening in a couple of weeks after a refurb (so that's an attractive option, I'm not overly keen on the very old-fashioned hotels). He has never been skiing at all so we'll mainly be playing/ sledging and on the nursery slopes. If we need to get to Glacier 3000 due to no snow (please no!), is that fairly easy from Villars? Also is there any sledging in Villars?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I'd agree with whats already been said. Glacier 3000 is def worth checking out.

Les Diablerets is pretty but its a fragmented ski area. We never really had the best snow either whenever we went meaning restrictions at Isneau for beginner skiiers so worth checking the snow reports before booking.

Leysin is a small resort and as suggested Villars is a much bigger area offering more than Leysin and Les Diablerets.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Bear in mind that Les Diablerets has a new gondola from the village and it's only 2 short rides off the top of that into Villars zone.
Also the drive between Leysin and Les D is pretty level and would take about 25mins (but I don't think you are driving).
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
BoardieK wrote:
Bear in mind that Les Diablerets has a new gondola from the village and it's only 2 short rides off the top of that into Villars zone.
Also the drive between Leysin and Les D is pretty level and would take about 25mins (but I don't think you are driving).

Thats handy and good to hear! Its been a few years since i visited!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Might as well post here; I've just stumbled upon the fact that Les D and Villars are hosting the snow events for the Youth Winter Olympics from 9th - 21st January. Specifically;

Villars is hosting Ski Alpinisme from 9th - 14th, and the Ski cross and Snowboard cross from 18th - 21st.

Les Diablerets has the Slalom events from 10th - 15th. (edit it's the Jorasse piste which goes from the first gondola station straight back to the base)

Everything else is in Lausanne. I can't find anything about which pistes are affected.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Booked Leysin any recommendations for restaurants or bars please?
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy