Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Do we really need PFCs in our outerwear?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I've been discussing PFCs, the bad chemicals used in ski outerwear for waterproofing, a lot recently. The manufacturers all know the dangers of these chemicals but still use it?

I know Picture, Westebeach, Burton and UNTRAKT have all switch away from it but the likes of North Face and Patagonia haven't. But do we really need PFC waterproofing on all our kit? I'm not sure most people face harsh enough conditions to even remotely need it. How many SnowHeads would be fine with a little less waterproofing in order to protect the mountains? Plus I'd love to hear about any more brands using suitable alternatives?

Little more info here:
https://onetreeatatime.fr/2019/12/02/the-dark-secret-behind-your-ski-jacket/
https://besthiking.net/pfc-outdoor-clothing/
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@princeeliot, my view fwiw:

#1 Waterproofness is critical to me when in the outdoors, including when skiing as I've been out in some pretty wet conditions.
#2 Re-proofing garments is a pain so longetivity of waterproofness without re-proofing is also important to me.

This does it appear put me at loggerheads with the evidence that PFC is bad for the environment so maybe I need to change my tune. The second one, re-proofing more often is my preferred option of the two as never being out in the rain or not being fully protected from the rain and getting wet are not good options.

On another tact if it's proven to be bad for the environment PFC should be banned by Government. As I don't believe industry or the public will make the change sufficiently of their own bat.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Tough one.

For me, yes I need waterproofing (warmer storm skiing, when the snow melts in tram or when you sit on the chair). My approach is to buy the best I can and use it as long as I can (I expect to get at least 5 full seasons of use from my outerwear, hopefully more).

I suspect that is better environmentally than buying worse quality and replacing it more often, but obviously producing anything has an impact.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Tue 3-12-19 16:54; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I guess it depends where you ski but in general I'd say no.
I spent the last 5 years skiing with non-waterproof softshells, and there was only 1 day where I felt that I could really have used a waterproof. This period involved touring and resort skiing across the US, Canada Japan and Europe. The 1 day where I regretted not having a waterproof it was raining at 2000m elevation and frankly the skiing sucked and I should have been in the bar drinking beer.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@BenA, +1
I'd say 2 days in the last 5 years I've needed waterproof gear; I was mostly in a hut both days. For me, breathability is much more important as I run hot.

For ski pants, other than the seat area, never really needed waterproofing.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy