Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What length of ski question

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
The time has finally come to buy a new pair of skis and would like to tap the collective wisdom of snowheads Smile

I have more or less decided on the Nordica Santa Ana 93 but can't decide between 169 which may be slightly short, but 177 (next size up) seems far too long...

I currently ski Fischer Vision Zeal in 168 which is a traditional camber but is a twin tip so skis slightly shorter. I really enjoy these skis as they are extremely stable at speed and feel good in longer turns (radius 18 at 168). I would rather sacrifice nimbleness than stability at speed as skis flapping are my absolute pet hate.

I am 5'8, about 10 stone and a reasonably decent holiday skier. Plan to use them about half on half off piste.

Any thoughts?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I have the Enforcer Free's in 104 which are a slightly more rockered off piste version of the standard Enforcers which themselves are very similar to the Santa Ana's. I am 176cm tall and went for the 179cm skis, but my fat powder skis are 185s and I have no trouble nimble tree skiing with those.

My other half, Kooky has a few suggestions, she is 5'5 and 8.5 stone, a damn good skier on piste and getting pretty good off piste. She skis Black Crows Camox Birdies in 97mm at 165cm which are a cm taller than her, or shorter White Dot carbon lites as a touring set up. We both prefer an off piste ski to be a little taller than our own height.

OK, you are a touch over 172cm.
How aggressively do you charge?
Do you tree ski in forests ?
Do you prefer speed or playing about with jumps and quick turns?

All these questions would influence your ski length.

How about going for the Santa Ana 100mm in 169cm, this would give a bit more float off piste but in the shorter length.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
177 isn’t just the next size up, it’s the longest they make. If the 177 is right for you what would you recommend to someone 3 inches taller and 30lbs heavier?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@belette, JanetS is shorter than you - 167cm, though heavier. She skis 170cm K2 Fulluvits for general use (95 underfoot) and 171cm WhiteDot Directors off piste, so both sets are longer than she is tall. As even the Fulluvits have considerable tip rocker they "ski shorter" on firmer pistes. If she was buying again she would definitely not go any shorter, and longer would be OK.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Steve77, it's a female ski ... hence length restriction, 'cos' girlies are lightweight.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
177. I’ve skied the 169 and it’s great (might even get some myself), but I’m quite a bit shorter and lighter than you so I’d go bigger (I’m smaller than both ladies mentioned above but ski identical Whitedot Director 171s as them). However, @spyderjon normally has a few for the test sessions in October, so you could try them out for yourself, as well as the 100mm that @Scarpa mentioned.

@Steve77, yeah, just pick something from the non-floral side of the range. Loads of big skis there to choose from.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy