Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Used Ski Options - Volkl AC30 / Salomon BBR 10.0??

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Making the leap to purchasing my own skis after giving away far too much rental money.

A couple of options have presented themselves:

Volkl AC30's 2011 177cm
Salomon BBR 10.0 2013 model (I think they're 10.0. He says they're 7.9 but the pictures he has show a 2013 10.0) 179cm length

I'm 83kg, 188cm roughly. I don't venture too far off-piste unless I'm going tree skiiing, but I'd consider myself an experienced intermediate skier.

Anyone have experience with these skis?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hi and welcome snowHead

Are they less than a fiver fifty quid? Coz that’s pretty ancient in ski terms. Unless your budget is basically nothing, I’m sure you could get something more contemporary.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Scarlet wrote:
Hi and welcome snowHead

Are they less than a fiver fifty quid? Coz that’s pretty ancient in ski terms. Unless your budget is basically nothing, I’m sure you could get something more contemporary.

+1

There's better/more modern designs on the used market than those two. Check-out the Buy & Sell Forum here: https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewforum.php?f=6
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I would not bother with BBR, I've only tried them once .. admittedly it was in the Hemmel Fridge... they offered nothing to me.
Salomon only made them for a year I think and after all the hype they dropped them.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Well, about 100 quid, but I'm in Alberta Canada, so options don't abound. At least not if you're not near the mountains.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
The BBR was iirc a three season wonder (they actually did sell them for more than one season. Total marketing nonsense.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@crazyj, the AC30’s were great skis in 1998. You really don’t want to be skiing on 20 yr old skis (and bindings!) now. For £100 you should be able to get something much newer!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
BobinCH wrote:
@crazyj, the AC30’s were great skis in 1998. You really don’t want to be skiing on 20 yr old skis (and bindings!) now. For £100 you should be able to get something much newer!

Thought they were much newer than that Confused Probably only around 9- 10 years old - even so newer options should be about and considered really.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
BBR's are rubbish... The AC30 is a good ski but has a lot of camber and you REALLY need to press on them hard to get em to carve. I had them for a season and liked em but they are a performance end of the spectrum ski. They might be a bit too much for you..
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Nonsense BBRs are brilliant, they'll wax themselves, make you breakfast,give you a BJ and put your boots on for you. Just ask Phil Smith in possibly skiing's finest example of "how much for for your soul?"

http://youtube.com/v/uPOE8aSRjpM
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Bones wrote:
BobinCH wrote:

Thought they were much newer than that Confused Probably only around 9- 10 years old - even so newer options should be about and considered really.

Sorry confused with P30’s. What a ski!

snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Dave of the Marmottes, The Salomon BBR , the only ski in the world which makes a 4 time olympian look bad... Wink
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
No idea on the Volkls, but would agree stay away from the BBRs, possibly the second worst ski I have skied on
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I would agree with what is written above.

The BBR was the greatest victory of marketing over common sense in the history of ski manufacturing. Stay away. The AC30 seems to be waaaayy old.

I would not recommend to buy used skis, because it is hard to evaluate how much they have been strained.

I don't understand the concept. You are going to spend money for travel, lift, accommodation, clothes, to take some (at least I hope so) pleasure on the piste. Why giving away 50% of this pleasure using worn out skis ? I understand that skiing is expensive, but saving on skis and shoes makes it even more expensive, in my humble opinion.

I would rather recommend the ski sales on the internet or in the shops : you have (really) excellent 2019 skis with discounts up to 50% at the moment.

https://www.gearscore.co.uk/skis/special-offers/
https://www.ellis-brigham.com/ski-equipment-sale
etc.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I had a pair of 8.9/176 BBRs which were far too twitchy for me (being too short.) So, because I loved the way they turned I bought a pair of 8.9/186 which were much better for me at 84kgs/184cm. I'm not an expert skier but can leave tramlines behind me pretty much down any pitch a blue throws at me (in Europe). I found they were great in crappy off piste able to bash through most things without flapping all over the place and could turn on a sixpence when required too.
The main criticism I have is they need total precision with foot pressure as you increase your speed or they have a tendency to wash out the rear (Fnar Fnar!)

My 110/184 Line Sick Days are better in anything soft and fluffy but are wider and of course don't carve anywhere near as easily. But they do have the coolest graphics on the mountain!

Don't buy the 10.0 BBRs, there are much better skis out there. And likewise the narrower 7.9 version has much better rivals.

I would agree however with not spending out for second hand skis when there are always some amazing deals to be had online for new ones if you shop around. I've used ekosport and absolute snow online with no worries.

If I was buying a new pair I doubt I would buy BBrs again though...there must be something better out there by now, but I've still got them as my all mountain everyday ski should I suddenly get a pair of knees that would cope with skiing again.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy