Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tips for camping in rain

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/warnings-and-advice/seasonal-advice/travel/out-and-about/camping-in-wind-and-rain

I read this and it inspired me to think of some other tips

1. Always choose a pitch which is on higher ground (I pitched a tent once on Vancouver island by the beach on a pallet which was there for tent pitching)

2. Look for places where the wind is blocked by trees or by the undulations of the land

3. always take your mp3 player with you for music, or in the worst conditions try hypnotherapy
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Don't!

Smile
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
"And you can also get a fair indication of the weather just by taking a deep breath. If the air is very pungent, either with sweet smelling flowers, or with compost like odours as plants release their waste, then wet weather may be on the way. When the air contains more moisture, scents are stronger. Another good tip is to watch the wildlife. Many people say that cows lie down before a thunderstorm. They also tend to huddle together before bad weather. You will also notice fewer seagulls in the sky at the coast if a storm is on the way"

Quality tips from the Met Office. Right up there with "if your face is wet it might be raining"....................
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
When on a ski holiday, gain altitude!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
It doesn’t say anything about not pitching under a tree. I think the best tip would probably be if you don’t know how to camp in the rain, find a B&B Laughing

I remember camping in Borrowdale once. We pitched our group of tents at the top of a sloping field with a stream at the bottom. Another group pitched theirs on the flatter ground at the bottom of the slope. When the rain came like it does in the Lake District, we remained relatively dry while the swamp dwellers fished their soggy tents out of the flood plain Shocked Laughing
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I still have my 29 year old Terra Nova ultra quasar tent. It has a porch at each end, and you can retract the inner tent away from the porch. So in wet weather I've enlarged one porch, opened the top vent and cooked in dry conditions inside it with no problems. Be aware of carbon monoxide and fire risks if you do this.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
As a veteran of the Dragon rally in Wales (motorcycles, February) Gortex bivi bag and a low profile tent and expect to be damp . Very Happy
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Book into a hotel.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Dig a gutter around your tent, right under the flysheet, that slopes down to the lowest corner with an opening to drain the water away.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Got caught in a microburst several years ago. It came across the lake as a white wall. When it hit a few minutes later it was unbelievable. Even with a very good quality tent equipped with a proper fly, the rain was hitting so hard that it was raining in the tent. Ever since, I have used a highly tensioned rope fastened between two trees as a ridge and then draped a good quality tarp over the ridge as a roof over the tent. Lots of set up effort, so not really feasible for one night, but if you are staying for a few days, it works very well.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy