Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

General Strike in France

Poster: A snowHead
@shaharke, In previous strikes it hasn't had any major effect in the village on the ski slopes. Some people have to take a day off to organise childcare, this makes the teachers exceedingly popular with the self employed ski instructors, who of course then earn nothing.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I know some TOs are having to reschedule flights for getting their season staff into resort - but should have enough in place for visitors from Saturday.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Are the AutoRoute peage staff on strike?

It was saying on UK radio that some French truckers are joining in and blocking major routes.

Could be a loooonnnnnggg day on Saturday driving down Sad
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Judwin, I'm just starting my drive and will be in France this evening so I will update. Although from what I have read the HGV drivers are doing that on Saturday.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
all checked in for my ba flight to Geneva tomorrow but got a email just now informing me that i can check in my hand luggauge free of charge in LHR as the flight will be full.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
We are driving down Saturday to Sunday. Any updates in fuel availability at the service stations would be greatly appreciated!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Well, good luck to all those grappling with France in the next few days. I well remember having to talking my way through a farmer's roadblock somewhere on the French coast some years ago, then having to keep a sharp look out for the removal of floating barriers blockading the port! I think those actions were all about lamb imports (or perhaps exports) and a proposed sharp rise in the cost of marine diesel.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Any thoughts on how long this disruption might go on for?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Once on a flight to Grenoble (with Roy Keane too as it happens) Just coming into Grenoble when the local Air Traffic Control went on strike!

Flight diverted, 3 hour odd bus ride, with Roy Keane again sat at the side of us!
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@rob@rar its planned for the next three days.

I'm keeping an eye on the GVA arrivals board https://www.gva.ch/en/arrivals
There have just been 8 cancellations so far today,
4 from France
1 from Heathrow (BA)
1 from Spain
1 from Portugal
1 from Naples ???

Today's Luton flight arrived on time Little Angel
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
The air traffickers have announced their strike will continue into Friday, airlines have been asked to reduce their flights by 20%. At 1630 CET BA had cancelled 2 LHR_GVA but easyJet so far to cancel between LGW and GVA. The GVA arrivals board looked better then normal today on punctuality bar the 8 cancellations.

Edit: I've looked at Osiris a couple of times this afternoon, the roads from Lyon to the Tarentaise have been pretty much in the green, so nothing to worry about there today.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks for the updates. Very helpful. Just packing the car now. Snow chain rehearsal in the morning. Very Happy
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@DrLawn, Both Bristol flights were cancelled as well it looks like
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@lynnecha why wait for morning? Do it tonight in the dark, then you'll get to really feel your way around your tires. Toofy Grin

@chocksaway you seem to have the inside knowledge on this.... perhaps the giveaway is in your handle?
It probably makes great sense to cut back by 20%, That should save the carriers a lot of money and we'll feel grateful ... as long as its not MY flight that's cancelled Twisted Evil
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@DrLawn, avoiding such situations has enabled us to stay married for 39 years. Very Happy
ski holidays
Just got notification that flight status for EZS1492 BHX-GVA, Sat, dep 11.10 is 'on time'. Several PSBers on that flight. snowHead
snow conditions
Is the ATC disruption likely to affect flights to Italy? Son flying to Genova tomorrow.
snow report
@pam w, The key to that question is where from to Genoa (puts on Eric Morecambe voice - never met her before)
snow conditions
Gatwick, early
ski holidays

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Fri 6-12-19 7:13; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
@shaharke, For sure the lifties will be on strike in sympathy with train drivers who can retire at 52 with a pension of €3500per month..........FFS!
ski holidays
@pam w, Assume BA - looks like its a goer. May have a bit of rerouting, but with a lot of France based aircraft not flying the airspace is less busy so what is left is well within the capabilities of the reduced system for overflights.
ski holidays
Thanks @chocksaway, that's reassuring. The BA website isn't anticipating problems at this point.
latest report
Not unknown. We lost a days skiing about 3 years ago when all the lifties went on strike. It was February too so it was packed. Local dispute not anything national.

I believe the next National Strike is next Tuesday although I believe there will be continuous issues with rail etc.
snow report
Geneva running to plan this morning. Only 2 UK cancellations - BA from LHR. Slack being created by flights from France and late afternoon/evening flights from Spain
snow report
try this
https://www.gva.ch/en/arrivals?city=London&date=637111872000000000
snow conditions
@lynnecha, there's a website with info on the fuel situation here
latest report
I thought I posted last night, but cant see it now. Currently as far as Dijon, no issues with fuel, traffic or the channel tunnel so far.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Just boarding at Heathrow for Geneva on time and its shows we will be 35 minutes late, must be the detour around French airspace.
ski holidays
Roads and fuel clear and available all the way to Tignes today
ski holidays
BA just cancelled one LHR-GVA tomorrow - BA 722 at 1405. All 3 flights to Lyon scheduled. Seems like all the easies are running.
latest report
Quote:

I would be very pleased if the autoroute toll staff manage to time any action (or inaction Laughing ) to suit my upcoming trip

That rather depends on whether the gates are locked open or shut, doesn't it?
latest report
Paris le grand bouchon au jour'd'hui. 3 hours from on the A1 @ Charles de Gaulle to Parc d' Exposition, Porte de Versailles. Hope the roads are clear on Wednesday for my drive to Tignes.
latest report
Over 200 miles of traffic jams in and around Paris today.

France is crumbling.

ski holidays
@homphomp, @Colonel Faff, thanks for that. We’re on our way now. Will report back what we find-arrive in Calais at 1800h and driving to Troyes tonight.
snow report
We were booked on the 06:20 chunnel this morning, which appeared as the 06:31 when we got through to the departure side. Warning though - the sausage butty van has gone, to be replaced by vending machines. Disaster!

Made our lunch stop for 12 noon, then Chambery Carrefour for about 5PM. Final drag up the hill and got into Tignes around 19:30.

The roads were all eerily quiet - no queues anywhere, to protests, no lorry blockades, nothing. Now waiting for Match of the Day to start assuming we can stay awake that long.
latest report
Similar experience- we arrived at the Chunnel at 14.30 to be to only car in the queuing area! It was very strange. Straight through to just south of Troyes last night, now on empty roads near Dijon heading for Tignes. Have only seen one or two cars on the road.

No problem with fuel although we will fill up in Bourg on our way up so we are good to go next Sunday. Looking forward to seeing some snow!
ski holidays
pam w wrote:
Quote:

I would be very pleased if the autoroute toll staff manage to time any action (or inaction Laughing ) to suit my upcoming trip

I was in France a few years ago when the toll collectors had a half day strike, barriers were open but I put my doofer under the seat as some locals told me they had left the detectors switched on ! Was in a truck that day so saved me a few bob Very Happy Logically they would have to leave them open surely otherwise it would be chaos Puzzled
snow report
skitow wrote:
pam w wrote:
Quote:

I was in France a few years ago when the toll collectors had a half day strike, barriers were open but I put my doofer under the seat as some locals told me they had left the detectors switched on ! Was in a truck that day so saved me a few bob Very Happy Logically they would have to leave them open surely otherwise it would be chaos Puzzled

We were north of Geneva last Dec, en route to the 3Vs, and the yellowvests let everybody through the French tolls for free.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy