Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Caen to Tignes by car.

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I’m planning to do Caen to Tignes at Feb Half term.
Anyone willing share experiences of routes and potential stopovers? Will probably drive it in one hit, but possibly not.

Much appreciated.

Jim
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@adaptedsilence, Welcome to Snowheads. Personally I love Beaune for a stopover. Just off the Autoroute, beautiful town centre in the heart of red wine country. Troyes also handy. Plenty of places around Lyon if you want to get further south and have less of a drive for the final stint. Do a search on this site. It's a question that gets asked a lot.

As you're travelling at half-term I'm assuming you'll have kids with you. You may need to get a wriggle on if you want family rooms etc. February is a very busy time with the overlap of English and French holidays.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
If you are planning to drive via outskirts of Paris Beaune would be a good place to stop on the way. On the way back you could also stop there if you wanted to ski on the final Saturday.

Although if UK and Paris half terms are at the same time it might be worth looking at the longer but less busy route via Le Mans/Tours/Bourges/Clermont Ferrand (or cutting through to Macon from that route). When we have done the Bourges route we have stayed in the Ibis Styles in Vierzon or Bourges.

Have not done the journey from Caen at half term. Our trips were at Christmas or for summer alpine holidays.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
adaptedsilence, we used to do this every Easter when kids were kids. Presumably you are coming off overnight crossing. Do it all in one go. We went round south Paris via Versailles. Stop off at Aires for wee-wees and nosh as needed. If determined, you can make it to Auxerre for breakfast. You should arrive Tignes around 6pm.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
We've also done the trip from Caen to the Alps in one hit several times with no problem. We used the A86 duplex tunnel when going around the Paris outskirts, which doesn't appear on our sat nav route, but is quicker than the above ground route. It has a height restriction(2m) which is possibly why it isnt given as an option.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy