Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski Locks

Poster: A snowHead
Hi,
Just got back skiing after a million years, and have just invested in new skis.
Couple of questions about ski locks , and / or ski locking systems at resorts ? Im going to the BB this year and was wondering what's the norm nowadays ?
Thanks Big Burd
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Do you mean those locker type things that you either pay for or put your own padlock on? I don't recall any in Arabba, but it's a few years since I've been. I use a cheap cable lock with a combi mechanism, but be aware that it's only a deterrent/idiot stopper and won't prevent a determined thief – the cables are easily cut or the combi locks can picked by an amateur in a couple of minutes. Otherwise use sensible precautions – swap skis with others, put them where you can see them, don't leave them lying around anywhere they can be easily chucked in a gondola or van.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The norm: Just park your skis somewhere sensible and work on the odds of someone taking them being very, very low.
The slightly worried: Pair up with someone else and park your skis as odd pairs. Won't stop a thief but will stop someone taking them in error.
The more worried: A cleap wire ski lock. Stops them being taken in error and deters opportunist thiefs. Won't stop anyone with a pair of pliers in their pocket though.
The really worried: Leave you skis at home and hire in resort (you could take them and never take them off out on the white stuff but then someone might pintch them from the ski locker...).
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Big Burd, we use cheap cable locks, mostly to deter idiots. Of which there are many.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Big Burd, we use cheap cable locks, mostly to deter idiots. Of which there are many.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I have a cheap lock for the reasons given above and to help with an Insurance claim (to show I have taken reasonable precautions).

I swap one ski with the person I'm skiing with and then lock.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I use a retractable cable lock
Its a deterrent more than anything.
Im sure if someone wants to knick my board bad enough they would have the tools needed.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Use these Dakine ones which are ideal, they do not deter the determined thief but what does!?
https://www.absolute-snow.co.uk/V/Dakine_Cool_Lock_Snowboard_Cable_Lock_Green-(79735)
Only got one of these as last year was sat on a lovely terrace in the skiwelt area and noticed a gentlemen pick up my skis and then walk off with them!
It turned out his skis were the same model and he picked them up by mistake. Caught up with him after a run from the terrace to point out his mistake....he would have probably noticed when attempting to get in the bindings which were set to a different size.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Mr.Egg, or they ask a friendly liftie to borrow his snips.

Which I have done having used a friend’s lock by mistake and not knowing the code.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Big Burd, watcha. Very Happy I take one of these with me, but never use it. Can’t be bothered to pfaff with the ski lock.
https://www.loqski.com/products/ski-lock

Drop them in a rack outside the rifugio and go and enjoy the food.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Mjit wrote:
The slightly worried: Pair up with someone else and park your skis as odd pairs. Won't stop a thief but will stop someone taking them in error.

This used to be me until someone swiped my brother's Leki poles and my cheapy poles outside a restaurant. Made me realise I should be more protective of my stuff.

Mjit wrote:
The more worried: A cleap wire ski lock. Stops them being taken in error and deters opportunist thiefs. Won't stop anyone with a pair of pliers in their pocket though.

This is now me, generally leaving them in view of where I'm sat though and I no longer use nice ski poles. It's in hope that most thieves will be working quickly so just move on to the next pair, although the lock I've got could probably be smashed in a few seconds
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Awdbugga wrote:
@Big Burd, watcha. Very Happy I take one of these with me, but never use it. Can’t be bothered to pfaff with the ski lock.
https://www.loqski.com/products/ski-lock

Won't you feel like a right berk if you get your skis nicked? Seems silly to have a 60 quid lock and leave it in your pocket due to laziness Puzzled
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@SnoodlesMcFlude, yep. Can’t argue with that. I always have it in my back pack, but as I don’t have really expensive “desirable” skis and it’s a pfaff, I risk it. But you are spot on, I’d feel a right berk if they were nicked. Confused
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks everyone for the advice.
I'd be slightly p***ed if it happened just wanted to check and be on the safe side.
I realise they are just a deterrent but wasn't sure of the protocol.
Things are quite different from 25 years ago, when no one gave a monkeys.
@Awdbugga was going to ask you , but thought youd be sick of me asking questions by now !!
Ta H x
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Big Burd wrote:
@Awdbugga was going to ask you , but thought you'd be sick of me asking questions by now !! Ta H x

Nope, never; ask many as you want. Although there are far more knowledgeable people than me on here. Most have forgotten more than I'll ever know about skiing and bashes. Puzzled wink

I always hang my scratched to boogery fluorescent orange ski poles over my skis; which removes the chances of anyone taking my skis in error. It also makes them easier for me to spot in amongst the racks and racks of skis; cos I sure as hell won't remember where I've put them. Sad
snow report
@Awdbugga, “removes the chances of anyone taking my skis in error.“

Doesn’t.

Outside a bar last season, “oh, I found my skis after all”, “no you didn’t, those are green, yours are pink”

Stupidity abounds.
ski holidays
If you want more secure than the flimsy retractable cable locks then the Dakine Cam Lock is very good and would take more than pliers or average snips to get though.

https://www.snowrepublic.co.uk/Accessories/Locks/Dakine-Cam-Lock
snow report
@adithorp, but a bit heavier.

Oirs are pocketable and I can swear honestly to my insurance that they were locked ...
latest report
@under a new name, indeed.

You do have to use the key to lock them so prevents some numptie using someone else lock by mistake and not being able to get it off. rolling eyes
ski holidays
@adithorp, as I referred to having done above ... Embarassed and borrowed lifties snips... Embarassed
ski holidays
I use a SAFEMAN cable lock, you would need more than a pair of pliers to get thru it. As its circular when stowed there are no sticky out bits to stick into you. Unfortunately in the EK last year it was touring kit that was being nicked. Even a foolish douche drunk wouldn't try to get alpine boots into that style of binding.
snow report
@adithorp, @under a new name, heavy and too thick to thread through brakes, also key is a recipe for disaster.

I use a bog standard combo lock. We split then lock one split pair and hope for the best. I also thread the wire around my poles after a pikey git nicked them from outside the Pignatta last day of the season last year (skis were locked).

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Mon 25-11-19 18:39; edited 1 time in total
snow report
On the "stupidity" abounds front, one of our regular crew had his stag do in Tignes 5 years ago - so there were a number of regulars, and a few "newbies".

A few days in and - because people were doing different lessons and had varying degrees of hangover - we didnt all leave the boot room at the same time.

One of our number discovered that his boots were missing, and another that his skis were gone.

How odd?

By a process of elimination, we worked out that the Stags brother had (1) put on someone elses hire boots - larger size rolling eyes , and (2) taken the wrong set of skis too. Shocked

Obviously the skis were not fitted for those boots (it was a 15 to one chance) either, so his instructor helpfully adjusted them for him when he arrived at the lift and discovered they didnt fit.

And he skied for an hour or so with over large boots on until one of us tracked him down and sent him - shamefaced - back to the chalet Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
@GreenDay, oh god the idiocy.
ski holidays
@Dr John, no need to thread it through the brakes (though it easily goes through my Marker Tours brakes). The lock will fix securely anywhere along the cable. Put cable round rack and thread through loop. Then put lock end round skis between the bindings and lock to cable as tight/close as it'll go.
latest report
We have 3 of the loqski's between us which if one or more of us has a rucksac on then they are fine, but they are just a bit too big and bulky for pocket use for me. A bit of a fiddle to use as well, but no doubt pretty decent quality. May get a cheaper / smaller thing just for ease of use when I'm piste skiing, the Safeman mentioned above looks good.
snow report
I have a little cablelock, too. Want to keep my skis from walking off, even if by accindent. I have put a recognizable decal on each one so that hopefully people notice they're taking the wrong ones . I ski Black Crowes and they can accidentally go for a walk in certain French resorts.
latest report
The vast majority of skis that go missing are taken by mistake, or by opportunists, so the little cable locks are perfect. These people will take someone else's if yours are locked, or will actually look harder and find their own.

The rest are taken by professional thieves and thicker cables won't stop their bolt croppers, if you leave them in a vulnerable area.

I used to carry around a big cable lock when my Vapor board was new. It weighed about the same as the innards of my Ascent 22 avi bag!!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Its not only on the mountain , I have had a 'gentleman' collect my ski bag from the ski return and happily wander off with it. Luckily I had spotted the bag and saw him grab it. Wow, he said 'who would've thought it ! Two bags the same on a flight' - Not really I said , but then watched as he retrieved his own bag which was a different model and colour . Absolute bloody cretin ! I must admit his bag was roughly the same shape though rolling eyes
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy