Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Dry slope skis for 5 year old

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
My daughter is 5, 114cm and 20kg. She currently skis a Rossignol Kid X 105cm, however my husband works abroad and it is a nightmare lugging them back and forth to Dubai.

She has been skiing since 3, taking 2-5 lessons a week on snow as well as two weeks in Canadian Ski School. She completed the Dubai ski school programme and has been advised to start racing. The dry slope in the UK has also advised her to join their race club.

She can parallel turn, is starting to carve, although when racing GS her first three turns are perfect it all falls apart and she is in a wide stance by the time she finishes the course (she has only skied four GS courses so far).

So I was looking at some cheap skis for the UK dry slope (added bonus is her other skis won’t get trashed and her sister can inherit them) and she wants ‘race skis’ like the rest of the kids in the race club.

We are considering the kids Atomic Redster or Fischer RC4 in 100cm as I’ve found some of last season for a very good price. But also open to Head or Rossi or anything cheap! Presumably they are all just a kids ski painted to look like race skis?

Does anyone know if there is much difference between these skis for little kids? I don’t want to buy something because she likes the graphics and find it is too much of a ski for her.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Unless anything has changed since 5 yrs ago when I was buying that length skis, they're all very similar soft foam core skis painted to look like race skis.

At that point, the Atomic Race 10 was the shortest "proper" race ski (i.e. wood core etc.) in a 115.

The easy way to tell is price... if it's £100 or less, it's 99% likely to be a relatively soft ski, which sounds like what she needs at this stage.

Buy the colour she likes Happy
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Totally agree at this age, just get the colour she likes Smile, the ski won't make that much difference yet, don't think any of the major manufacturers do wood core race skis in that length. It's worth bearing in mind a chin guard, and pole guards only really come in to use when they start to ski full gates at u14, despite the fact you'll see many u8-u12 racers using them. Shin pads for slalom will be needed at some point though, although later than most people think. My kids now u12 and u14 both raced their first year on dry slope on a cheap pair of recreational skis (that they also used for snow), and are both loving their skiing and been pretty successful.

Main thing is keeping it fun whilst they are young, and learning the fundamentals of skiing rather than worrying too much about the races, it's very easy to get drawn in, overthink the kit, and spend every weekend chasing races round the country before you know it.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy