Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

from GVA

Poster: A snowHead
I'm from US and will be arriving GVA 7:30 on 1/25. I've already skied St Anton, Verbier and Zermatt. For those places I took the train because I'm unfamiliar with how reliable these transfers are. For instance, for my Zermatt trip my luggage for no apparent reason was held up for an hour till it came out. I'm only skiing 2.5 days so I want to get to the resort and have a full afternoon of skiing because my time is short.

Right now my plan is to take 2.5 hr train ride to Champery to ski PDS. But I saw the thread about transfers and thought, it's only an hour drive, maybe I should take transfer and stay in the more central Les Gets or Morzine, or maybe even consider another resort. But I know I don't want to be on delayed flight or have to wait for someone else's delayed flight and be sitting in the airport for 3 hrs and miss my 1/2 day of skiing. I would be taking transfer back to airport after last day of skiing.

How reliable are these transfers? I'm arriving at 7:30am, and should be ready by 8:30am, is that a good time to get a reliable transfer with lots of other people arriving at that time? I assume that I'm better staying at Gets or Morzine because of more central PDS location?? I'll be skiing all over the place and like to take different lifts and go to different areas all day.

Maybe there is even a better place to go instead of PDS? Somewhere with higher elevation, more northern exposure maybe? I'm a very experience skier (USA western resorts) and I'm used to skiing moguls and what you call off-piste all day long, and that's what i'm looking to ski. But I don't really want to take much more than 2 hrs to get there. Also, I like riding the big cable cars and to lesser extent gondolas(who doesn't!). Any suggestions for my options from you Euro experts would be appreciated.

Is Courcheval a better option for me?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@glenncz, are you open to renting a car? We do this as like to be in control or otherwise taxi - we don’t use transfers on a weekend as often subject to other people’s delays etc. Taxi costs around same as a private transfer. The drive itself is around 90mins with medium traffic. Don’t think it’s possible in an hour. Location you could try Chatel which is centrally located in the PDS (piste map is deceiving) and has a great nth facing sectors and gives good access to Avoriaz and the Swiss side of PDS. There is also a reliable local Chatel taxi that will collect you from GVA for €170 - €200 depending on time of day - this option will be the quickest as they will be waiting in arrivals. Champery requires you to change trains at Aigle. Courchevel is a great resort but will take more than 2 hours and I believe the road is at risk of congestion in bad weather. You will maximise ski time at PDS - we normally depart the resort 3:45 hours before our flight departure time which will allow you to get a full day if you are leaving on an evening flight.

PS. Welcome to SnowHeads

PPS. PDS has great moguls!

latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Those are just the right size moguls!!!
I'm not renting a car, because I'm traveling alone and don't want to deal with the sign language, although with good GPS it wouldn't be too much of a problem I guess. Add to that being disoriented from little sleep and in a foreign land!
I guess it is a good thought though to save me 1 hr travel time.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
PDS is a no-brainer if you want to maximise ski time and if a taxi transfer is within budget. It’s a vast ski area and you will be on the slopes very quickly from accommodation if you are staying centrally in the village. There is a PDS thread where you may be able to round up a ski buddy or two.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Although I'm partial to Les Gets and it's one of the easiest transfer from GVA, if you plan to roam PDS I would recommend you instead base yourself more centrally - at least Morzine (for Supermorzine) or better, Avoriaz.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@glenncz, given your constraints;

1. hire a car
2. if you are coming that far, come to Chamonix
http://youtube.com/v/PiJknkRe3Zc (can’t promise untracked snow in Lavancher these days!)
3. If you ski Chamonix and it’s “open”, and weather is good, book a guide and ski the Vallee Blanche.

(4. Morzine-GVA has been done in 55 minutes... in good conditions, experienced driver, at 05h30 ... in 1991 ...)
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
A rental car is a good option for a very short trip but I can understand your reluctance. If you take that option book covered parking, being guided by your accommodation about location. Accommodation options for short trips are limited - renting a car and driving to slopes is worth considering.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Re. transfers, there are some (shared) that leave at specific times, and drop off at specific places - there are others (both shared and private) that wait for you to arrive, so if your flight is delayed, they'll still sort you out, and drop you off to the door.

On shared transfers this of course means you could be hanging around the airport waiting for other people to land, as much as they would have to wait for you. Private transfers means a quick departure - but a much more expensive ride....

For shared transfers - if they list departure times before you've even put your details in, then they won't wait (though most companies will try to place you on the next scheduled service, if there is a seat). If they ask for your flight number and estimated arrival time - they'll wait for you (unless you miss the flight - that one's on you).

I'd also recommend Chamonix - very easy drive, and lots of transfer options, around 1hr 30mins. Transfers are reliable: for scheduled Ouibus is very punctual, Easybus less so (but seem to be improving); for those filling buses according to flight times I like Mountain Dropoffs - they are big so have lots of people and usually quick departures (unless you arrive really early or late). Also CVT are very good, but I think less buses. Both very reliable, and good communication.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@glenncz, Welcome to SH.
You can get to Les Gets in around 1h10 mins from GVA, but this is the very edge of the PdS.
(one driver I knew claimed to be able to do it in 45 minutes)
Similarly if you go to Champéry its on the edge of the PdS (and is a longer transfer).
Like @patrick!, says central is better, and given your penchant for Euro Off-Piste, then I would suggest Chatel, like @Ozboy, (transfer time 90 mins) or Avoriaz ahead of Morzine, as these have good access to more Freeride areas than Morzine.
Jan 25th is when it's cold here, so you do not really need to head high, the PdS has good snow cover in late January.
As it's a Saturday, there will be lots of transfers around, but if you do not want to wait for 3 hours at the airport, and do not want to pay taxi rates, then go for a Transfer company that has "fixed" times.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I have a nice room reserved(can cancel) supposedly 2 min walk from lift in Champery and it's only $200 for 2 nts. So I'm going to stay booked at the "other Cham". I have a habit of being on 1st lifts, and they open at 8am, so that should give me time to get around the resort.

I'm going to stick with PDS, I'm overthinking this to want to switch resorts, I'm sure they have plenty enough of good skiing for me in 2.5 days. I suppose there is a transfer company "area" in airport, maybe I would go there upon landing, see if anyone is leaving w/in the hour, and if not just take the train??

As far as Chamonix goes, I'm going to wait for when Grand Montets is back up. Also, I don't like the idea of having to take a bus in the am to get a resort.

I've been lucky so far with my prior trips. I did Zermatt in early December, but most of the place was open and skiing was good. For Verbier I had some fresh snow while I was there and for St Anton good skiing too. And I guess because I went in dec/jan i haven't had to deal with Feb crowds.

>There is a PDS thread where you may be able to round up a ski buddy or two.
Yes, I'm going to try that before my trip. Sadly, my best buddy ski pal has Alzheimers at 61!! I've been able to ski with him for 3 yrs with it, but I think he's now cooked for a big trip like this. Last year I put a call our for ski buddy for Big Sky and had local to lead me around ripping it up for 2 days. Then on another trip to Breckenridge, the guy who responded turned out to be an Olympic downhiller who finished just behind Franz Klammer many years ago. That was a good day chasing him around! I'm going to Jackson Hole for 3 days of skiing 2 weeks before this trip.

Skiing alone isn't the best fun, but I have found it to be more tolerable in Europe with the added excitement of trying to find my way around a big resort.

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Mon 25-11-19 11:46; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

I suppose there is a transfer company "area" in airport, maybe I would go there upon landing, see if anyone is leaving w/in the hour, and if not just take the train??

There is a transfer company area at Geneva Airport - but they are not actually allowed to take booking there (AFAIK). They can only pick up pre-booked passengers. Some may be a little more lax than others though - but I personally wouldn't rely on it.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@glenncz, Champéry is very nice, and if you ski (rather than board) the Grand Paradis run is a mellow way to end each day.
From the top of the Champéry lift, you can drop into Les Crosets, where there are great gulleys that are like big natural half-pipes.
Take Mosettes out and you have the Frontaliere Free Ride zone, or Cuboré, or head towards Morgins for the Savolaire and Morgins forest.
Be careful though, most transfers CANNOT be booked upon landing. Regulations mean that certain scheduled transfers, busses, trains and taxis can be booked on arrival, but most must be pre-booked.
Your best bet might just be to jump on the first Train to Brig and change in Aigle for Champéry.
If you want to stay in Avoriaz I suggest you send Andy an email http://www.avoriazlettings.co.uk/contact/ - he will be able to hook you up with an apartment for 2 nights at a very good price, plus discounted transfers.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@glenncz, PDS is vast and you will not get bored in 2.5 days and it will feel very uncrowded at this time other than day-tripping locals which disperse quickly. There should also be plenty of good snow. The train ride is very around the top of the lake and then up Val D’Illiez which is dominated by great views of Les Dents du Midi mountain. Train station is in the airport if you turn left as you exit customs - suggest you download the SBB train app if you don’t already have it where you can pre buy your train ticket. The trains are hourly and reliable - there is one at 9:02 which gets in at 11:33 and easily get you 1/2 day skiing. The risk is you get held up the arrival process causing you to miss the train and having to wait for the 10:02. Driving is quicker to Champery at c. 1:45 hours and very easy out of GVA Swiss side rental - it’s well signposted and easy to follow in a phone map gps. It’s basically two roads - the motorway and then the road up the Champery.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks everyone! It's so much fun planning and figuring out a trip "into the unknown" (of course it would drive my wife crazy!). Gives me something to anticipate for the next two months, and with a free flight to GVA, it's really not that expensive. I won't have much sleep that first day (how is that different from many other days??) but I'll be pumped up on travel adrenaline and it won't be any trouble. I'll catch up in my lonely hotel room.

People think I'm nuts going to Europe to ski for 2.5 days, but I have a direct flight from Newark and I don't have to miss that many days from work, which gives me the time to plan a couple other trips.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@glenncz, that’s an awesome adventure and the flight is just long enough to get some zzz. Adrenaline will get you through day 1. Keep in touch if anymore questions and do let us know how you get on.
snow report
Yeah, you need to book transfers. Can’t just rock up. Oh the powers of the Geneva taxi drivers’ union.

The only one I can imagine running to Champery might be alpybus. Arguably maybe train quicker? Worth checking.

For future use, AirBnB charge less commissions and more likely to find apartments/studios.

Love the PdS, just not quite as iconic as Chamonix... wink
latest report
@glenncz, Champery by train will be fairly straight forward and is a good call.......
If you wanted to change your plans to stay in the Morzine/Avoriaz area.......my solution would be....
Book in advance a shared Shared transfer with one of these......
Speedy Gonzales
Ski-Lifts
They both have loads of 'shared' shuttle buses for Morzine and the surrounding area so the wait should be minimal.
Then stay half board (breakfast and dinner included) in either the Prodains Hotel, Les Lans hotel (or the Neige Roc hotel if you want something a little more swanky) those three hotels are in a small hamlet called Prodains that is two miles up a dead end road from Morzine but right next to the Prodains Express telecabin (gondola/Aeriel tram) that take you straight up to Avoriaz.
So a really quick and convenient way to get on the slopes in the morning.
Prodains Hotel and Les Lans are 'traditional' French, both with very good food and half board makes it good value.
From there you can access the best bits of the PdS (Chatel, Champery, Avoriaz, Morgins) and ski back down to your hotel in Prodain as there is a piste into the small hamlet of Prodains.
If you need Ski hire in the Morzine area then book through door step skis who will bring the skis to your accommodation or there is a small ski hire shop in Prodains.
https://www.hotellesprodains.com/index.php/en/
https://leslans.com/english/
https://www.skiidygonzales.com
http://www.neige-roc.com/en/
snow conditions
Ozboy wrote:
@glenncz, are you open to renting a car? We do this as like to be in control or otherwise taxi - we don’t use transfers on a weekend as often subject to other people’s delays etc. Taxi costs around same as a private transfer. The drive itself is around 90mins with medium traffic. Don’t think it’s possible in an hour. Location you could try Chatel which is centrally located in the PDS (piste map is deceiving) and has a great nth facing sectors and gives good access to Avoriaz and the Swiss side of PDS. There is also a reliable local Chatel taxi that will collect you from GVA for €170 - €200 depending on time of day - this option will be the quickest as they will be waiting in arrivals. Champery requires you to change trains at Aigle. Courchevel is a great resort but will take more than 2 hours and I believe the road is at risk of congestion in bad weather. You will maximise ski time at PDS - we normally depart the resort 3:45 hours before our flight departure time which will allow you to get a full day if you are leaving on an evening flight.

PS. Welcome to SnowHeads

PPS. PDS has great moguls!

@Ozboy - what is the local Chatel taxi company called please? I've booked a last minute trip to Chatel arriving at 19:20 on 13/03 and can't seem to get a transfer anywhere....
snow report
@drjohnnybananas,

They are called Rubin Taxi

https://www.joel-rubin.com/

You can try this mobile number which connects directly with a lady called Pauline who will take the booking. It’s €220 for late pickup from GVA. +33 6 76 61 57 98
snow report
@ozboy - thanks a lot! I've managed to book one with Pauline. Expensive lesson learned... don't book a flight arriving late Sunday evening again!
latest report
@drjohnnybananas, they are very good. reliable and have a modern fleet. I think well worth it and hope you were able to offset some of the cost due to the later flight. Enjoy Châtel and feel free to Message if you need and further resort info.
snow conditions
@Ozboy, Thank you! As long as I get a good week's skiing in, it's all worth it!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy