Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Train from Grenoble to Aime?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi all

Has anyone ever flown to Grenobel and then caught the train to Aime and then transfered to Aime 2000?

I'm just trying to plan logisitics and for 2 adults and 2 children the train is £97 return which is great value compared to car hire and a transfer but it's just whether or not is worth the faf of taxis etc with luggage/ski bags etc.

Many thanks

Ralph
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@ralphster, No but Grenoble Airport is 30 minutes or so from Grenoble train station so you need to factor in a shuttle bus too.

Don't Bensbus run from Grenoble to Aime?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks, just had a look and It'd be £330 for Bens bus to Aime then around 60 euros up to Aime2000. Car hire gives some flexibility to supermarket shop enroute.

Happy
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

Has anyone ever flown to Grenobel

Grenoble airport is a long way from Grenoble and not much uses it. In fact it is closed most of the time. @ralphster, May I ask why you want to fly to Grenoble?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
More than 30 flights a Saturday to Grenoble and a few less on each Sunday of the ski season. There is an odd flight in the summer but the airport is still busy as a large flying school. Grenoble is about the same distance from Lyon to Aime and a bit quicker than Geneva.

It offers flights from a number of the smaller UK airports and is often a lot cheaper. But it is basic.

As to the original question there is a shuttle bus to Grenoble, then a train, then an expensive cab up the mountain, might be OK on the up, but a lot of moving parts for the return, if indeed you can make it in time. Personally I'd go for Bens!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Done it a couple of times, You can get the train from Grenoble and change at Montmeliam or go to Chambery and get the train from there. As mentioned previous, it is getting from Grenoble airport to Grenoble train station that is a problem, there is a scheduled bus service, however, the last time I used it departure times were infrequent. Good app for french trains is OUI.sncf. If you have not already booked your flights, Chambery is the most convenient for your destination or Lyon, where you can get a tram from the airport to the main train station. Another option I have used. Had a flight to Chambery delayed, when we finally arrived had missed the last train to wherever we were going, anyway, enquired with one of the tour operators if they had room on their buses and went that way, had to pay a fee, but nothing extravagant, they had a payment desk set up so it was not a one off.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
ralphster, Yes, I did this some years back in very snowy conditions. Was a fun adventure.
As posted above, first you need to find the bus from airport to train station. No problem, just ask. Then you need to be sure of your "train" booking. Sometimes part of the journey can include a bus ride. But you go through some interesting scenery, and will get to Aime La Plagne eventually. You can book the bus up to 2000 online. Not always convenient for the train arrival time, but there are a couple of nearby bars/restaurants to wait in.
What you need to be clear about is this is not a quick journey. Can take you half a day. As mentioned: an adventure.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy