Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski bags for going touring?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
So far when I've been touring I've always managed to leave my ski bag somewhere and picked it up at the end of my trip. This time I'm flying out of a different airport to the one I'll be arriving at. My ski bag is an old Salomon one made of some sort of heavy PVC, not something I want to carry around with me throughout a long tour.

Any ideas as to a lightweight and less bulky alternative?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
What do you mean by 'Touring'? Do you mean that you previously flew with your skis in a ski bag, left the ski bag at the airport, then went to various ski resorts with your skis and the rest of your luggage and picked the bad up at the return, or do you mean you fly someway and then go 'Ski Touring' with all your gear?

In any case I would just search for the cheapest bag as they are likely to be the lightest. Something like this one for £14 which is claimed to be 800g for a 180cm bag.

https://www.absolute-snow.co.uk/V/Amplifi_Quiver_Ski_Bag_180cm_Concrete-(179084)
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hut to hut touring carrying all my gear. Skis are Nordic touring skis 205cm long. I guess it's just finding the lightest ski bag out there.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
1. Out- bubble wrap / plastic plus duct tape

2. Carry orange bivvy bag plus a bit of duct tape on the tour

2. Back- cut up bivvy bag and duct tape.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
OwenM wrote:
Hut to hut touring carrying all my gear. Skis are Nordic touring skis 205cm long. I guess it's just finding the lightest ski bag out there.

A bit of lateral thinking........Use your current ski bag and then once you arrive remove your skis and ship the bag to your final destination/departure point, and collect it from there for the return flight.

Its more environmentally friendly than a disposable option, and I assume the shipping would be cheaper than buying new bags, and also saves you from carrying an extra kilo every day.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Where are you going? SAS provided plastic ski bags, in Norway you often see skis and poles just tied together on the luggage carousels
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks for the ideas, given me something to think about.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@OwenM, old bag out, ditch it. Buy a nice new one to go home.
Definitely don’t carry one with you, it’s all you’ll think about flogging up a long ascent.
There are times to accumulate resources, and times to deploy them.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Try to pickup a ski cardboard shipping box from a local ski shop and do the same coming home assuming you end up in a resort. I’ve flown with new skis in cardboard box with BA to GVA and no issues.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Teletart, Hi I've had issues with trekking / ski sticks wrapped in a bungy / sticking out of rucksacks in summer. This method is not reliable.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy