Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Zell am Ziller for new year

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
We have just bagged ourselves a bargain new year ski trip (mon - sat) 2 adults and 2 kids (11 & 9). Can anyone recommend somewhere to go for New Year’s Eve. I am also a little apprehensive about finding our way around the slopes - is it worth having an instructor/guide for the first day or am I worrying about nothing? We are beginner/intermediate but used to skiing in Borovets where you can’t really go wrong as it’s so small and we know our way around!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Hicksviv, welcome to snowHeads! snowHead
I guess as you're asking about New Year's Eve dinner you're not on half board and are either on B&B only or self catering. I've been a couple of times to Zell am Ziller staying in a B&B and there are a couple of good places to eat I can recommend.
The restaurant and stube of the Gasthof Brau are very good . I've also eaten at theGasthof Zellerstuben near to the river which is normally open to non residents and does good typically Austrian food. I'd normally also recommend the restaurant Zellerhof and which I mentioned in this thread, but as it's run by the tourism school which is based in the town it may be closed over the holiday period. Wherever you decide to eat I'd recommend making reservations for New Year's Eve as soon as you arrive in resort. Smile
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Alastair Pink, or book now. I have my table booked in Flachau and the restaurant will be full well before new year week
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@holidayloverxx, good point!
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
no need for a guide either - pretty easy to find your way around

pretty funky lift joining the zell am ziller sector with the gerlos sector (which I prefer), especially on the way back to the zell side, with a strange mid station where you have to stay on and other people join

I've never stayed there, only skied there for single days, so no idea about the accommodation or restaurants
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks all !
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Hicksviv, good skiers can cover the whole of the Zillertal Arena out and back in a day from Zell, and the navigation is really very easy and well sign-posted. The only thing to be careful of is that the link over the top from Zell down into Gerlos is dependent on a single lift to the highest point in the area, and sometimes closes when it gets windy. You can get a ski bus back along the valley, so this isn't a €150 taxi type of disaster but it can be inconvenient. Check the weather forecast if you are planning a trip over - the run down from the top of Zell into Gerlos is one of my favourites, as you have about 10 minutes of complete wilderness to ski through and you may wonder how you'll ever get out of there as there's no sign of a lift until you are almost on top of it. In poor weather it is a navigational challenge. On a good day, it is heavenly.

The lift in Zell is out of town, so a little disconnected from the centre, and the slopes above the town are a little limited and almost all red. If that's a problem for you, you may be better to take the bus to Gerlos at first to access some gentler slopes via either gondola - see https://winter.intermaps.com/zillertalarena for an interactive map.

Competent red run skiers will love the whole area, but if you do want to experience something else then take the narrow gauge train (free with a ski pass) to Mayrhofen for a day and try that area as well. In particular the long red/blue run down from Gerent is a classic and has great views on a clear day, and there are many other attractions to the area.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Apparently that single lift joining Zell am Ziller to/from Gerlos (the one with a bottom station at each end, and 2 mid stations, one for getting on and the other for getting off in both directions) is due for replacement with a 10er heated gondola next year.

It's never been closed when I've been, but there's always a first time, and I've always made sure to recce the Gerlos-Zell bus. I'd be tempted to either park at Gerlos or intentionally use the bus next time to have more time to spend at the Gerlos/Königleiten end of the area next time (because the Zillertal Arena bit is kind of strung out end to end - hence why I said no need for a guide - you just keep taking the next lift and eventually turn round and make your way back). The plateau bit at the top of Gerlos is brilliant for beginners - nice easy and wide piste that's always sunny when I've been. Nice run down thru the trees too.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy