Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The Hills Have Eyes.

Poster: A snowHead
Snowheads is now on the 'Watching Lists' of 'Those Up High', by this i mean Salomon, Nordica and Lange/Rossignol.
Those concearned will be monitoring us and our little descussions from time to time, and it will be interesting to see if they should make themselves known. Little Angel
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
SMALLZOOKEEPER, we've been on the watching lists in the UK for at least the last 6 months, but it's good to see that the big bosses are getting involved too. (but don't expect me to ease up on Salomon)
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Can we expect a "Word Association" ski? wink
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Ian Hopkinson, Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
WTFH:

What's your beef with Salomon. I luv my 2 year old Scream 10 Hots. I found Salomon UK very helpful with aftercare. I actually broke an S912ti binding in January, in Austria. One, local ski shop tried to sell me new bindings, but a second one wanted to take the binding off, there and then, and send it to Salomon Austria, as they should be guaranteed (funnily enough these 2 shops were part of the same chain!). I declined as I was going back to UK in 2 days, so just hired something else.

When I got back to Uk, I had just 2 weeks to get things fixed before going to St. Anton. I rang Salomon UK, and explained that situation and also that I had bought the Skis in Meribel in France, last season. They said 'it doesn't matter where they came from, and these bindings have a five year guarantee'. They also didn't just said me a replacement for the broken heel piece, but just sent me, straightaway, 2 brand new bindings.
They didn't even ask to see my purchase receipt, or the broken item.

Thank you Salomon (and I love my skis). snowHead
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
beeryletcher, my beef with them is that over the last 5 years or more of testing skis, I've only found one of their skis to be anything other than a hero ski (i.e. one that makes you feel you are a far better skier than you really are), and that was the 2001 Equipe 3V race ski.
If they produce a good ski, I'll judge that ski on its merit, but recently I haven't felt that they have.

Their bindings are a different matter, and I've also experienced excellent customer service from them after having a binding failure after 4 days, no questions asked, just sent new bindings.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Ian Hopkinson, new for the 2007 series is a range of skis that don't have names, just emoticons.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
FenlandSkier, well it's got to be an improvement wink
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Wear The Fox Hat wrote:
I've only found one of their skis to be anything other than a hero ski (i.e. one that makes you feel you are a far better skier than you really are)

I Love my salomon pocket rockets. I'm a punter, I don;t ski very often and whe I do I want a ski that helps me ski well enough to get down the mountain with a modicum of style. I don't want to have to put in extra work to use the biggest stiffest skis out there becasu ethat what cool people are using.

I really enjoyed the look on my instructor's face in the whistler gun barrels when he came to a stop and turned to find me stopping behind him. I don't think he'd expected anyone to be so quick - and I can be honest enouhg to say I woldn;t have been so quick on "real man" skis, but my pocket rockets are ace Wink
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
nbt, no problem with me if you like them, but I don't. If you enjoy skiing on them, that is the important thing, cause skiing is about having fun, but for me, I don't find the skis that Salomon has been producing in recent years to be as much fun (for me) as other skis, and as beeryletcher asked, well, that's what my beef is with them.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
WTFH:

Actually I think you described Salomon's as 'HERO Skis...ie.one that makes you feel you are a far better skier than you really are'.

Come on....admit it.....you're their ad campaign manager, aren't you? Laughing

Salomon.................makers of heros!

Salomon.................the choice of heros!

Salomon.................for when you need a hero!

You subliminal advertiser you !!!

PS. Give us a job Salomon, or loadsa free gear. NehNeh

PPS. Does my use of Scream skis mean that I really can't RIP moguls to shreds, float like a feather in the fluffy stuff, and SLALOMON the gates like a man about to win the last beer poured on earth......or do I just think I can?! Laughing
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Wear The Fox Hat, what so you just said ' my binding broke, can i have some new ones?' ive got a bust salomon binding but i dont know where to go with my problem..
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Wear The Fox Hat, what so you just said ' my binding broke, can i have some new ones?' ive got a bust salomon binding but i dont know where to go with my problem.. beeryletcher, what happened to you heel piece? get yourself some rossi power 100s and youll have no problem!! they have been amaaaaazing for me
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
george_1 wrote:
Wear The Fox Hat, what so you just said ' my binding broke, can i have some new ones?' ive got a bust salomon binding but i dont know where to go with my problem..

Not far off it.
The heel piece wouldn't stay engaged in the slots, and slid back on me (thankfully the fall each time it happened wasn't too serious), and when I got back home from the trip, I took the skis into the shop I'd bought them from and explained what had happened. They phoned up Salomon, and Salmon sent out new bindings.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Anyone else foresee some serious ass-kissing?

Perhaps an annual award for the best pucker-suck of the year? Mr. Green
snow conditions
George 1:

Basically, had a fall at maxxed out carving speed on a red run, that had a lot of lumpy bits on. One of these didn't smash apart as usual, and caused one of my skis to get right out of shape, putting me in one of those Bodie Miller one-legged poses. I tried my best to remedy things, but ended up in a spin, and eventually my air borne leg and ski caught the ground again, very hard. This sent both legs and skis, spining in opposite directions, wrenching one ski off very violently. I have my din quite high (9 ish). The force actually pulled the heel piece through the side wall of the sliding track, cracking that, and taking a lump of the locating flange of the heel piece off with it.

My brother, skiing behind me at the time, said it looked spectacular and cannot understand why all of my knee ligaments weren't ripped to bits. Luckily I have freaky knee joints and can almost point my feet backwards ! So, I guess that saved me. Laughing

As for Salomon, I haven't got their number to hand, but in the UK, they are based in Basingstoke and go by the name of Salomon Bonfire and/or Salomon Taylor Made. I found their number on the net, and they dealt with me directly.
snow conditions
beeryletcher, did you contact them through the number that you found for basingstoke? ive got one, but im very shy and dont want to make a fool of myself Sad
latest report
george_1, if you got them in the UK, then take them to the dealer, that would be the easiest.
snow report
i got them in austria... a bit of a trek Very Happy
snow report
george_1, ah. ok...

Amer Sports UK Ltd.
1 Tanners Yard
London Road
Bagshot
Surrey GU19 5HD
UNITED KINGDOM
Tel. +44 1294 316 200
Fax +44 1294 316 255/6
ski holidays
In Wigan The Hills Have Pies!!!
snow conditions
Wear The Fox Hat, thanks thats ace!! ill get onto it, im not desperate for them but i had the whole heel piece moving problem too and just opted for the new bindings, it seemed much easier!
snow report
GEORGE 1:

I just rang the Salomon headquarters on the Basinstoke number from the internet. It was a switchboard receptionist who answered, and i just asked her if there was someone I could speak to about a broken ski binding and that I didn't know the warranty procedure. She said 'no problem' and put me through to the right dept, who were fantastically helpful and got straight on with sorting it out.

Good luck, although I'm sure you won't need it.
ski holidays
beeryletcher, at gone 9pm on a Sunday? Shocked
ski holidays
beeryletcher, thanks for the help! and Masque, ill give it a go tomorrow morning snowHead
latest report
oh and beeryletcher, do you need any information about the binding because ill have to go pick it up from my dads....
ski holidays
george_1, you will need to know the model number!
ski holidays
Masque:

When I wrote 'JUST' I meant as in 'SIMPLY'. Or were you being QUEER, as in FUNNY. Very Happy

george_1:

They'll need model number, whether it's on a Pilot interface, or normal one, colour of binding, and model and year of ski (probably).
Seems like the fine details of this binding change from year to year (could be why they seem to send brand new sets, so as not to risk giving you a part, whcih is not an exact match).

Cheers
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
beeryletcher, it was the "I just rang the Salomon headquarters" and "Post: Sun Apr 09, 2006 9:42 pm"

The first thing in my mind was 'FM Shocked ! that's service' snowHead
snow report
Quote:

I've only found one of their skis to be anything other than a hero ski (i.e. one that makes you feel you are a far better skier than you really are),

Sorry, don't quite get this. If there is a ski which means you can ski better than you usually do, and stay safe, and in control, and on top, through tricky stuff, what's so awful about that? Is it better for your soul to have to struggle? Is this the same argument as put forward by the Frenchmen on the old straight skis at 220cms who think the rest of us are punters to be on parabolic skis 170cm long, or less? Or something different?
ski holidays
pam w wrote:
Quote:

I've only found one of their skis to be anything other than a hero ski (i.e. one that makes you feel you are a far better skier than you really are),

Sorry, don't quite get this. If there is a ski which means you can ski better than you usually do, and stay safe, and in control, and on top, through tricky stuff, what's so awful about that? Is it better for your soul to have to struggle? Is this the same argument as put forward by the Frenchmen on the old straight skis at 220cms who think the rest of us are punters to be on parabolic skis 170cm long, or less? Or something different?

No, it's not that it MEANS you can ski better, but it makes you THINK you can ski better. Now, for some that is a good thing, but for others, not so, as it allows you to get away with poor technique. Not that technique is the be all and end all, but if you end up on terrain where good technique is essential, then you could well end up in trouble.

Think of them like big soft american SUVs - really comfortable, and feel great, but not on a twisty road.
snow conditions
Wear The Fox Hat wrote:
Think of them like big soft american SUVs - really comfortable, and feel great, but not on a twisty road.

Puzzled I can't see how you can generalise about a manufacturer's entire range of skis; sure Salomon have made some floppy carvers - "look at me, I can carve mummy... oh no, 3mm of powder... with a bump in it!... whoaaaaaa" - but haven't they all? Pick the ski that suits you (and your boots) but don't condemn the whole range 'cos you picked the wrong one for you wink

I can't think of a ski much further away from your description than the Scream 10, for example; freaking awesome ski but you'll hate it if you don't edge and pressure it properly on the piste, you'll hate it for it's stiffness if you don't attack that wind-blown crust with enough speed. But ski it properly and it'll punch you from one turn into the next, make mincemeat of crud and be creamy smooth in the soft stuff.

Would you dimiss Rossi as a "punter ski maker" just on the basis of the B1/B2 ? (...runs for cover... I had a blast on B3s earlier this year).
ski holidays
Quote:

I had a blast on B3s earlier this year

Me too, but last week Toofy Grin
snow conditions
J2Dave, yes, it is a sweeping generalisation, based only on skiing maybe 4 or 5 different models each year, but I base it on speaking to a demo rep, telling them what I ski on, and what I like, and then taking their recommendation for what they consider to be the best match (and then maybe going back and changing it for the next model up after a couple of runs)

I wouldn't call Rossi a punter ski maker - the B2/B3 are excellent skis, and have been for a few years.
ski holidays
J2Dave, Scream 10, "stiff"? If I knew what "stiff" was, (Phnarr, phnarr) ... Stiffness has nothing to do with skiing.

As for the other sport you can do with no clothes on, that's an entirely different story.

Stiff isn't B3s either, even though I will allow that they were kind of fun in an undemanding way yesterday...
snow report
WTFH;

Can you name the Salomon skis, or at least a few you have demo'ed. Cos I'm with J2DAVE on this one. I'm inclined to think my Scream 10 Hots make a lot of terrain easier to ski, but only if you know how to ski properly in the first place! I learned most of my skills (well I call 'em skills), on my other skis - Atomic 10.EX at 191cm - and these are MAN SKIS, and need the skier to give it 100% all the time.

By comparison the Screams are much less effort, but still require control. They don't float as well as the Atomic's, but they do float enough, and the Screams are WAY better in bumps and when lots of quick small turns are needed. The Atomics have the natural turn radius of an oil tanker, and to turn tight (a carved tight, not a steered one) you practically have to pounce your entire weight into the middle of the skis to bend 'em.

As someone who likes to ski hard, on and off piste all day, the Salomon's don't leave me on my knees by the time I hit the bar, the beer can now do that as it rightly should. NehNeh
ski holidays
David Murdoch,
Quote:

Stiff isn't B3s either, even though I will allow that they were kind of fun in an undemanding way yesterday...

Have you opened your eyes yet, or is it still a white out Laughing
latest report
I'm with j2dave and berryletcher, myself and other "good" skiers enjoy Salomon skis, and have found them better than the equivalent b2s........

I'd also be interested in what ski's you've tested WTFH and also your height/weight. You ski Pistols off piste, I seem to remember???

cheers,

Greg
snow conditions
gregh, I ski pistols off piste and head iXRC1100SWs on piste. I'm about 1.8m, and 85kg

Salomon's I've tested in the last year (from memory)...
Streetracer 8
Streetracer 10
V12
Xcream Hot
Equipe 10 3V
ski holidays
... I should add, in the past I have owned Salomon Equipe 10 3Vs, and have rented other models, but more recently I have not been inspired by them.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy