Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Step On Boots/Bindings

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Quote:

As far as the expert back country powder skiers I meet, most of them have at have at least tried snowboarding.

Not sure why any skier interested in backcountry would try snowboarding. As much as I like split boarding, ski touring is a much better solution.

Quote:

Expert piste skiers tend to be more negative about snowboarding. I'd guess that's because
most snowboarders they see aren't very good, not because their bindings are primitive

But as a complete beginner they would be that not very good person. First couple of days snowboarding are quite miserable and painful. To be fair if you have that little want to snowboard that bindings put you off, you are probably not going to make it through the first days anyway.

As much as I love snowboarding I would find it very difficult to justify someone new to snowsports choosing it over skiing. Unless you have a preference to board you should be picking skiing regardless of bindings.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I think a lot of skiers would be very keen to use a strap on
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Sooooo many moons ago I rode on the original Switch step-ins and they worked just fine to control my boards. Sometimes there was a bit of a kerfuffle with snow and ice packing, but a dry spray silicone can sorted that on both boot sole and binding mech. However my boot to marble floor tile friction coefficient in a bar's bog in Les Arcs nearly killing me, put a bit of caution to its use.
The real issue was boots and boot fit. When the boot has to do so much of the support dynamics/mechanics, unless it is as receptive to fit and mechanical adjustment to suit the rider and their goals as the existing varieties of soft boot and separate binding . . . then they are just the latest version of 'look at how low I wear the crotch of my pants 'cos my balls are so big they need the extra cooling' rolling eyes

One big issue we discovered is 'side ramp' angle. The wider the stance the more a shim was required to avoid damage to the boot mechanics . . . actually it was more the boot mechanics destroying ankles, inner shins and knees Shocked

Negative, moi? . . . ok yes. A solid lockdown/connection to skis is a function of controlling them but they will never experience the joy of riding a bare board on grip tape. I'll never be able to do anyting beyond curl into a fetal ball and leak body fluids in a 'park' but I do know that to really have fun on a board we need to be relaxed and comfortable in whatever body positioning we desire . . . I'm not so sure that step-ins allow that, the older stuff didn't, I'm back on the old gear.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy