Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How much skiing in Morzine area 14-17 Dec?

Poster: A snowHead
I am looking at doing a very short break, and have received some offers from chalets based in Montriond, St Jean d'Aulps and Prodains. Out of those three chalet locations, which would you recommend I choose for ease of access to ski area and uncrowded-ness? I will ski a half day Sat 14th Dec, and two full days 15th and 16th. I won't be going out in the evenings. I am a cautious intermediate, and don't want to cover a wide area - I find what I like and stick to it! Lift pass-wise, I want to keep the cost as cheap as possible. Does the Avoriaz-only lift pass cover the Ardent bubble? Each chalet offers a minibus service to Ardent, Prodains and Super Morzine.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
It's almost certainly only Avoriaz open so Prodains your best best. I am reasonably sure the Avoriaz only pass covers Ardent. St J d' A probs the worst location being a good 20 - 25 mins journey.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@oldschool72, St Jean to Ardent Car park is 12 mins drive, but why not just stay in Avoriaz?
Like UANN says, the Avoriaz pass does cover Ardent, but also one lift further over towards Chatel (Chaux Fleurie).
This time of year I would avoid Prodains as it's in the shade pretty much all day - a couple of Chalets are in sunnier spots, but the valley always feels really cold. Also it can get busy as it is one of the main points of ingress, and point of sale for passes.
If you're not going to stay in Avoriaz, then I would choose Montriond from those options.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@WindOfChange, re Prodains in shade, rule 5.

Will it be at all busy those dates? I’d be surprised.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
under a new name wrote:

Will it be at all busy those dates? I’d be surprised.

Its the Equipment test / music festival

http://rockonsnow.com/?fbclid=IwAR2NkJMd8D9M8EQkjTrW-m227zlPd5px5q6I7UcTTOeJER-YpItlSugvhVY

https://www.avoriaz.com/en/events/rock-on-ultimate/

This takes place in the area immediately at the top of the Prodains gondola.
In previous years this has been busy as fury - and this year it looks like they have upscaled the event.
Prodains will be the main access for this.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@WindOfChange, ahhhh. Yes, then I can well imagine. A weekend to avoid then, unless you like the music or want to test kit??
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
In previous years, the only bits that have been busy were Arare sector, Crot / Prodains and the 3 lifts in that bowl.
Chavanette sector, Lindarets, Mosettes, Chaux Fleurie etc.. have been fine.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
under a new name wrote:
@WindOfChange, ahhhh. Yes, then I can well imagine. A weekend to avoid then, unless you like the music or want to test kit??

I have a phobia of anyone else being on the same piste as me Confused
Another cheap option offered to me was La Tania. Opinions?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Looking at the webcams (and assuming no warm snap) I'd expect at least some of the Morzine/Les Gets area to be open on the 14th - but your safest option will be Avoriaz. Given that of the 3 locations you've listed I'd probably go for Prodains. Although not much nightlife in Prodains (or Montriond or SJdA for that matter) the gondola keeps running late, so if you fancy a beer or some food out you can take the gondola up and down to do so.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Latest Morzine-Avoriaz projected opening dates here - updated regularly
https://en.morzine-avoriaz.com/ski-lift-opening.html
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I did the equivalent week a couple of years back when we had a terrible start to the season. I was staying in Morzine, sat on the chalet balcony in shorts and t-shirts looking at the still bright green Pleney slope. Even then 2 valleys were open up in Avoriaz (with a massivly discounted lift pass price) so there was fun to be had if you accepted an early start and giving up for the day/a late lunch mid afternoon.

This year there's already a cover of snow on the Pleney slope and signs of snow in Morzine, so up in Avoriaz should be good to go, as should at least the higher areas of Morzine/Les Gets.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Mjit wrote:
I did the equivalent week a couple of years back when we had a terrible start to the season. I was staying in Morzine, sat on the chalet balcony in shorts and t-shirts looking at the still bright green Pleney slope. Even then 2 valleys were open up in Avoriaz (with a massivly discounted lift pass price) so there was fun to be had if you accepted an early start and giving up for the day/a late lunch mid afternoon.

This year there's already a cover of snow on the Pleney slope and signs of snow in Morzine, so up in Avoriaz should be good to go, as should at least the higher areas of Morzine/Les Gets.

That sounds good, thanks! I don't pound the pistes all day anyway, so a shortened day doesn't bother me.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Whether anythings changed or not and as WoC alludes, they’re bigger this year but I was in Avoriaz for the Sunday of Rock the Pistes 2017 and it was not busy at all.

Irritatingly, there was good and deep powder, but two runs in one of my bindings failed. By falling apart. My chums had a lovely day.

Mrs and I had sandwiches in somewhere whose name I forget, they were very nice but no compensation.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I went for Montriond in the end as I thought Ardent would be less busy than Prodains, given the weekend that's in it. Thanks, all!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I was there for the Rock On Tour 2017 too and there was tons of snow. It wasn't very busy at all. Didn't try any of the equipment on offer but did have an awesome few days of powder.The lift pass was really cheap too because of the reduced area on offer. We stayed in Avoriaz, which is a lot nicer than I remember from the early 2000's - when I last went there. The accommodation still reminds me (the smell) of cheap student halls of residence......
snow report
Yes we were there in 2017 too - awesome conditions and not busy at all!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy