Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tignes Le Lac v Val Claret v Les Boisses

Poster: A snowHead
Why is it so darn hard to choose!! I know we are fussy but my head is spinning. going the weekend of 11th/12th Jan so should be fine for snow. Have always done stuff on the cheap, but this year have a bit more £ to play with, which means I dont need to choose the cheapest just cos its cheap!!

We are 2 grown ups who like to ski, no need for apres at all, but like ski-in ski-out where possible. Also sadly like a double bed and a bath en suite!! rather than a shower which cuts things down a lot. Love to roam the entire mountain on skis

Have 4 options on the table now, two with The Tignes Chalet company in Le Lac Almes - Le Tourne (on the main road into Le Lac, not ski-in ski out) but mid price. http://www.thetigneschaletcompany.com/chalet_la_tourne_catered.html - £510

Also with TCC in Les Almes above Aigle Royal is Chalet Perle http://www.thetigneschaletcompany.com/chalet_la_perle.html. Looks like you can pick up a track to ski down to the Chaudannes and Paquis chair lifts. Anyone know if thats correct? 2nd most expensive. £681

Or with Snow Chateaux in Val Claret -- The Grands Tichot building https://www.snowchateaux.com/catered-chalets-tignes/chalet-tichot/ cheapest at £399 but not sure you can ski back, they were a bit woolly about this. Also twin and shower.

Lastly Snow Chateux in Les Boisses - https://www.snowchateaux.com/catered-chalets-tignes/chalet-alpinium-1/ beautiful chalet - ski-in but walk out 100m. Most expensive but proper luxury place £699 each but am I mad thinking that sauna, hot-tub, games console and stunning chalet are worth having,

So questions, is Les Boisses easily accessible to the whole mountain, dont mind a quiet village and can get busses in the evening (unlikely!) or can you get STUCK in Les Boisses if theres too much snow (I know in 2017/18 in Les Arcs people got stuck in 1950 and 2000, whereas we could ski from 1600)
Is Val Claret too busy/noisy and can you ski to the Grand Tichot building?

And any experience of The Tignes Chalet Company v Snow Chateuax?

God i bore myself sometimes rolling eyes Shocked Very Happy
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
You can get stuck anywhere if there is too much snow. I've been in La Tania when the links into 1850 were closed and in Val Claret when only a couple of lifts were running. Basically in really bad weather unless you are below the tree line you are pooped.

Staying in Boisses means you will have an extra leg at the start/end of the day to get into the main area and/or to Val D but I stayed in Les Brev once and don't remember it being a big issue.

Personally I wouldn't stay anywhere in Tignes that wasn't ski in/ski out. There is so much choice why give yourself the grief.

Didn't find Val Claret too busy/noisy, although we didn't stay on the main drag. We're not go outy people but did once in Val Claret and generally thought it was quite nice.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
As a company TCC over Snow Chateaux. But Le Tourne is right on the main road and is effectively a ground floor apt, behind those trees so doesn't suit your needs and its a sclep up the road with skis. Can't see exactly where Perle is but likely to be as you describe. Edit TCCwebsite link didnt work but now found it. My best guess ia a 15 m walk to and from the piste on the flat. Grand Tichot is an original concrete monstrosity in the middle of VC, if you are lucky the bedroom may well be over the kebab shop! And not ski in out. 1800 is quiet but it's one quick bubble and a slow but short 7mins ish Chair to Lac. After heavy snow, we hope, there can be a delay in opening of an hour or so for avi control. But there is a half hourly bus which should not get too busy in Jan. So marginally less convenient than Perle but more extensive on amenities.....
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Lucywuk wrote:
So questions, is Les Boisses easily accessible to the whole mountain, dont mind a quiet village and can get busses in the evening (unlikely!) or can you get STUCK in Les Boisses if theres too much snow (I know in 2017/18 in Les Arcs people got stuck in 1950 and 2000, whereas we could ski from 1600)

Boisses is at the far end of the Tignes Ski area.

To start the day it's one Gondola and then a choice of two Chair lifts. Marais is long and slow and drops you off at the top of Aguille Percy. From there you can set off towards Lac, Claret or back down towards Boisses/Brev. Or Aguille Rouge which is also slow but a lot shorter - it lands at the Bar/Restaurant L'Alpage - and from there its a Blue or Red down to Lac.

To get back to Boisses from anywhere in else Tignes you have to get at least one lift. Chaudannes takes you up from Le Lac to the Bar/Restaurant L'Alpage, which is a handy watering place before the last run home. From Val Claret its a fair bit longer - you need to somehow get to Grand Huit and then Aguille Percy and ski off the back towards Sache and then keep right down either the Blue (to the L'Alpage again) or Red. Or you can follow Sache (black) all the way down to Brev and then get the Gondola back to Boisses. Dear old Aunty Percy is slow and cold, and can get busy at the end of the day.

The run home from L'Alpage is a blue (Melezes - pronounced in English as Malevolent) down what is a road in the summer. Often quite icy, quite busy, and quite bumpy in the narrower bits. Not my favourite run

The other alternative to get home is the bus from/to Le Lac. Leaves from outside the Kalinda and takes about 10 minutes to get to Le Lac Maison de Tignes Bus station. The bus runs early and late, so you can get from Boisses to/from Le Lac for Apres or the shops easily.

You can get from Brev/Boisses to The Eidleweiss (expensive restaurant at the end of Val Diz) by skiing just 2 runs - Both blues.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

As a company TCC over Snow Chateaux. But Le Tourne is right on the main road and is effectively a ground floor apt, behind those trees so doesn't suit your needs and its a sclep up the road with skis. Can't see exactly where Perle is but likely to be as you describe. Edit TCCwebsite link didnt work but now found it. My best guess ia a 15 m walk to and from the piste on the flat. Grand Tichot is an original concrete monstrosity in the middle of VC, if you are lucky the bedroom may well be over the kebab shop! And not ski in out. 1800 is quiet but it's one quick bubble and a slow but short 7mins ish Chair to Lac. After heavy snow, we hope, there can be a delay in opening of an hour or so for avi control. But there is a half hourly bus which should not get too busy in Jan. So marginally less convenient than Perle but more extensive on amenities..

This is exactly what I am after, proper insight. I think its between Le Perle (says a 100m skiable track to the piste) we are pretty capable skiers, but dont want a 15 min walk. However Le Lac is better to reach VDI etc. Or Les Boisses and for £17 I get a really posh chalet Laughing with a sauna and hot tub that looks amazing (god how ive changed I used to be content with a shoebox and bunks in the corridor - but being 50+ my priorities are different)

I know
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Judwin wrote:
You can get from Brev/Boisses to The Eidleweiss (expensive restaurant at the end of Val Diz) by skiing just 2 runs - Both blues.

Reach Edelweiss from Brev skiing easiest runs (and taking buses): I’ll name that tune in three blues:
up from Brev, blue #1 down from Marais or Aiguille Rouge to Lac, up Toviere Aeroski, down blue/green combo #2 crux/verte down to La Daille buses through to top Laissinant, then blue #3 combo ending at Edelweiss.
The challenge is on to do it in just two blues
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

Quote:

each Edelweiss from Brev skiing easiest runs (and taking buses): I’ll name that tune in three blues:
up from Brev, blue #1 down from Marais or Aiguille Rouge to Lac, up Toviere Aeroski, down blue/green combo #2 crux/verte down to La Daille buses through to top Laissinant, then blue #3 combo ending at Edelweiss.
The challenge is on to do it in just two blues

Go on then? I can only see it in 3.

And I cant see myself ever doing the Sache again - 10 years ago I loved it, did it 3 or 4 times, then popped over to the Grattalu and broke my knee Evil or Very Mad It will be first time back in the area, and I still have to wear a knee brace to be on the safe side Sad
The Face was my first ever black, 24 seasons ago, when my then BF took me skiing after being together about 7 weeks (he invited me the night we met! I knew he was a keeper then, just didnt know he liked black runs!!)
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Lift from Brev to bus from Boisses to Lac, then as above via Laisinant, or Cable Car from Le Fornet.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
The others seem to be taking a more 'advanced route' Far too much effort in my book Happy

My Route is Brev to Boisses on the Bubble, Then up the two magic carpet tunnels to The Kalinda Bus Stop, Bus to Le Lac, Up Toviere, Down Blue #1 (Eidleweiss) to Marmotts, Up Marmotts, Down Olympic Bubble, Bus to Fornet, Up the Fornet Cable Car, and then down Blue #2 - Mangard to the Eidleweiss for a well earned Lunch. Should be there by 11AM if you get a wiggle on. It's only really 1.5 runs - you haven't completed Mangard (yet).

So after Lunch (3:00 ish), Down the rest of Mangard, bus back to Val Diz Centre, Up Olympic, and then Blue #3 Dibold (or Green Verte if you're getting a bit tired by now) to Tommeuse, Up Tommeuse, Down Toviere, Bus to Boisses then down the bunny run in Boisses (not sure of the name but it's green beside the two magic carpet tunnels.) Finally down the gonny before a hard earned warm down in one of the bars down there on the snow front.

More seriously, I really liked Boisses. The Kalinda Apartments are spacious and new, well equipped and warm. And more important better value for money IMHO that anything of a similar standard in Le Lac. There is virtually no chance of getting "stuck" there in heavy snow - the road from the valley to Le Lac runs over the dam and through Boisses, so if the road is closed then so is all access to Le Lac from below. They'll bust a gut to get the road open so that punters and staff can get up/down. Once the road is open, then the busses at least will be running.

However, (keep this to yourself) the slopes under the Aguille Rouge lift, and either side of Myosotis are fantastic after a heavy snow fall. Not too steep, not too deep, not too long just right for Goldilocks Happy So if there is heavy snow, you'll get first dibs on all the good stuff in that area before all the riff-raff from further afield arrive. Toofy Grin
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Lucywuk, before giving my opinion on the 3 options in your thread title, I’ll throw a minor hand grenade in.

Why must you book now for that week? There will be plenty of late deals, good discounts on quality accommodation. Pretty much guaranteed that you’d end up with better value for money and location than any of those three. I’m assuming there’s just the two of you on this trip and not a large group.

As for location, mid Jan.
1. Le Lac - less brutalist feel than Val C. Easy access to ski area and links to Val D. Pool and sports centre. Best choice of cafes, bars, restaurants.
2. Val C - bleak but convenient for lifts. Good access to Val D links. Some noisy locations but generally not bad.
3. I like Les Boisses and have enjoyed staying there. But, as described, longer journeys to/from Val D side. Often icy stretches on the bendy piste back to the village.

Final hand grenade, I’d consider La Daille as an alternative.

snowHead
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Lucywuk, Are the prices you quote just for accommodation?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
https://www.skitotal.com/search/?departure-date=mon-2019-12-07&country-code=FR&resort-code=FRTI&departure-airport=0&adults=2&children=0&infants=0&brand-no=2&brochure-code=TS&duration=7&holiday-type=Package&board-basis=CA&scan-days=7&disabled-rooms=false

Try these from Ski Total - we used Chalet Hotel Rosset a few times (not next year as we are a 3) and its decent, bar, pool, sauna, steam room etc. Basically a 50 yard wander and you are on the piste turn right to Toviere bubble or left go to Paquis / Chaudannes.

eta - all these prices include the flight from local airports
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

Why must you book now for that week? There will be plenty of late deals, good discounts on quality accommodation. Pretty much guaranteed that you’d end up with better value for money and location than any of those three. I’m assuming there’s just the two of you on this trip and not a large group.

My husband want to get the train, we did it last year and it was great. Ebbsfleet cheap parking and an easy transfer in paris. No getting up at atupid o’clock for a 2 hour wait in an airport queue and a 2-3 hour transfer the other end.

So looking fo accommodation only. Plus transfer.

Been with crystal and esport (with liss) and ski total and tbh the food has often been rank. Stayed in 3 balambra club hotels and as a veggie it has been purely fuel, not great.

And so yes I could gwt cheaper but as I said, we actually don’t have to think about the cheapest option being the best anymore.

As for late booking. Yep could do that too. But I have literally looked at every single chalet company I can find in Tignes and with the criteria I want - ski In ski out ideally. A double bed (comfy) with a bath not shower. And decent food. I seem to be limited. Any ideas gratefully recurved

My original plan was to book the train and then see what’s available. But since I really fancy Tignes I am feeling like I will compromise (as I’ve always done in the past) to save £. This has led to crap food, uncomfortable beds, shoebox apartments, screaming children (mine and others) rows with the Mother in Law (yep took her one year and didn’t speak for 6 months afterwards!!)

Open to ideas of places to look for the perfect place on the cheap
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@GreenDay. Sold out the week we want. I did look at chalet hotels to start with. But VDI and Tignes not showing much available unless I’m looking in the wrong place. And we don’t want to fly
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Lucywuk, Dont take this the wrong way but..................you might have some difficulties getting everything you want on your budget.

e.g. Think about what you would pay for your requirements for a week in a UK hotel?

Now throw into the mix that you want that hotel to be in the Alps at 2100m where everything costs more.

You cant really compromise on being Vegetarian, so if - for example - you look at hotels reviewed as having great veggie food in Tignes its entirely possible that they might not be ski in/out or have that bath you want.

I guess what I am saying is, you might need to rank your requirements and perhaps allow one to drop off the "must haves"..................or up the budget if thats an option?
snow report
@Lucywuk, yes I understand where you're coming from with that information. I wasn't suggesting you go for the cheapest option. Rather for good quality at a decent price.

However, I think if your 3 criteria of train, bath and true ski-in/ski-out are stuck to rigidly, then your choice is drastically limited. So in that case a late booking is unlikely to work for you.

snowHead
snow report
What about self cater in a nice apartment? Village Montana, Ecrin des neiges spring to mind. There are likely others.
snow conditions
@peakyB I think that’s where I’m coming from. If I wanted to flex on resort, I’d be fine. But over the last few years we’ve done Vaujany - self catering, la plagne - hotel belambra thing, Les arcs -1600 hotel belambra thing, la Tania - chalet. My husband is 100% convinced on train so that’s non-negotiable.

@GreenDay we have no specific budget this year Smile so I think non-compromise is in order lol for once in my life

@endoman self catering in village Montana seems to be over £1000 for 2. No transfers. Same price for 4 but leaving kids behind Very Happy
ski holidays
@Lucywuk, we stayed in La Tourne a few years ago. It is not luxury but overall it was good value . he location is ok - I would say it took 10-15 minutes walk in the morning with the kids, would have been much faster if it was just adults
snow conditions
https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=2999530&highlight=bella2015#2999530
This is the TR about our La Tourne stay
snow conditions
We also stayed in Val Claret ( Clubmed) and going back to Val Claret this year ( self catering)
ski holidays
@Bella2015. Thanks so much. Great to know the company is good, even if the chalet isn’t perfect for us.

Your point on the long transfer is why we are doing the train. We’ve found flights cheaper, but I’ve done the Geneva/Tignes transfer once and never again. I am convinced it’s way more than 12 hours door to door with a one hour flight in the middle. The train is more relaxed.

Interesting re you being Jewish - so am I - but I am veggie so don’t worry about kosher foods.

After 20+ years of skiing I’ve done every option, and now it’s just 2 of us, chalets seem the best value. The self-catering in the nicer apartments are around £900-£1000 and yes I could cook to save £. But I’m on holiday too.

This year I’ve found the prices so much more £. The Hotel la cachette in arc 1600 was £880 2 years ago, this year £985 for 2 half board - but the food was pretty poor. Hotel Diva in Val Claret where I last stayed in Tignes 10 years ago is £1153. Those places were great with kids as they could eat as much or as little as they wanted and they had family rooms etc. But now it’s just 2 of us, I want something more
ski holidays
@Lucywuk,
Have you looked at Mountainsun? http://mountainsunltd.com/home/
snow conditions
Thanks @kenzie have sent an enquiry to them, but they are currently coming out at £599 + transfers so really not better value. Unless they come back with a fabulous deal
snow conditions
@Lucywuk, if that is Melezes...it is very far from luxury, the food is nothing more than OK (or it was when I used to go there) isn't ski in/out either..although you can cut across the field to get back almost to the door. I used to go there lots - it was a cheap and cheerful start to the season. Like you, I don't need to budget like that now so I doubt I would go back.
latest report
@holidayloverxx brilliant info Thanks. Its hard as that used to be my criteria 'cheap and cheerful'

Thats why this is looking good http://www.snowchateaux.com/catered-chalets-tignes/chalet-alpinium-1/ (it says £950, but theyve offered it at £699) - look at that sauna/spa Very Happy
snow report
@Lucywuk, Awesome. I would book that like a shot....although if its important to you it's ski in not ski out but is no distance to the lift really
latest report
Quote:

@Lucywuk, Awesome. I would book that like a shot....although if its important to you it's ski in not ski out but is no distance to the lift really

thats the only compromise. do you know how far it actually is to the lifts? looks like bus stop is outside the door which works if we fancy starting in Le Lac
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Lucywuk, 2 mins walk
latest report
@Lucywuk,
Quote:

do you know how far it actually is to the lifts? looks like bus stop is outside the door which works if we fancy starting in Le Lac

Unless the bus stop has moved in the last couple of seasons. It was about 100m level walk along the road from the Alpinium chalet.

If you decide not to use the bus, you walk a little bit further, past the bus stop. Then join the blue Colchique / Melezes piste and ski down to the base of the Boisses gondola.
Not a long ski, 5 minutes usually. Can sometimes be a bit tricky first thing if icy or in deepish fresh snow. But that's a nice 'problem' to have.
latest report
OK perfect 100m to snow, i can manage that Smile
snow report
@PeakyB not stalking your posts, but just found an old post from last year about Chalet Les Andes via Chillaplretreats. Did you stay there? just been offered a deal there (cheaper than the luxe chalet in Les Boisses), slightly better in terms of central resort, nice looking chalet with pool too, but will need to book transfers
snow report
@Lucywuk, Also, I forgot to say - although you have been to Tignes before - this thread which @chocksaway, starts every year is a mine of really useful info (e.g. if you need to find the best veggie choices or whatever).

https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=3476998#3476998
snow conditions
@GreenDay, thanks since I think Chalet is the way to go veggie food shouldnt be an issue. But I've been scouring that thread. I do this each season - become an avid snowhead for a few weeks, then go away again until next year.

Why is it when you are so close to making a decision a new option pops up!!

https://chillalpretreats.com/rooms/chaletlesandes/ Tignes Le Lac - so more central, twin with a bath or double with shower, similar distance to piste (or a little clamber uphill dependant on snow) accommodation only so need to bus or taxi, bus is cheap but takes 1.5 hours on a Saturday evening as it goes via VDI, taxi is £. can you simply grab a taxi outside the station or should we book?
BUT IT HAS A POOL!!!!
Very Happy Cool
snow conditions
@Lucywuk, No real idea where that one is, Les Almes is a bit of a mystery to me apart from one year we stayed in an amazing apartment which was part of the Montana complex..........If same area, you can get down to Chaudannes / Paquis quite easily if thats where you want to kick off, but potentially a fair hoof from other lifts......and more importantly, the boozers Very Happy
snow conditions
@GreenDay, ah but I don’t care about the apres. And yes it’s not far from the Montana. Same area of le Lac.

Think @PeakyB may have stayed there so will await info
ski holidays
Lucy, entirely with you on the "having a bath rather than a shower" - really helps those muscle aches & so much more relaxing

I don't know any of the accommodation specifically but have stayed at Les Brev, Lavachet & over in Val D, so know the area quite well, I feel Val Claret would be the best area to stay, it's more central & easier to get to/from any other parts of resort, also easy to ski back to from almost any other resort area. See previous comments on the whole area here https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=148657&highlight=

Just a note I don't know if you've checked, but some of those properties only have a couple of rooms with baths & some have only a few spaces left, so are you sure you can get one of the rooms with bath?

Another possible from Snow Chateaux is Chalet Chartreaux, https://www.igluski.com/ski-resorts/france/tignes/chalet-chartreux_36495?holidayId=1459043204
appears to be ski in, but possibly a short walk/ski out to the tow rope, all rooms with baths.

Also worth noting that Snow Chateaux offer 6 days evening meals whereas TCC only 5, unless you're going to grab a take away pizza or similar, a decent meal out for 2 with wine isn't going to leave much change (if any) out of £100, so worth taking into account with costings
latest report
@Russbost, thanks. I would slightly prefer le lac or Val claret. But the accommodation is not as nice. The other chalet you suggested is way further from slopes and those tow ropes are horrible I try to avoid at all costs
snow report
@Lucywuk, just a thought, if you can tolerate a 50m walk back & forth to the lifts there is Chalet Eterlou at Les Brev. http://tigneslesbrevieres.co.uk/chalet-eterlou/4559490981

We stayed there a few years back b4 they refurbed it & put the hot tub in, not all the rooms had baths, but there were certainly at least 2 that did.

Obviously Les Brev is a bit out on a limb, a little like Les Boisses, but the runs back are fine & shouldn't be crowded at that time of year, looking at the webcam (you may have to wait while it does it's 360 revolution!) https://www.seetignes.com/webcams/brevieres there's already decent snow cover on the village run & plenty more in the forecast. As I recall it's a gondola & a fast chair up & you have an easy run down to the centre of Tignes. Several nice restaurants for the chalet night off at much better prices than higher up the mountain!
ski holidays
Quote:

a decent meal out for 2 with wine isn't going to leave much change (if any) out of £100, so worth taking into account with costings

Wow, I hadn't realised that Tignes has got so expensive.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy