Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Stellar Equipment Shell Jacket - First thoughts

Poster: A snowHead
[Changed title as to be more relevant]

I wasn't getting too excited as I find it sooooo boringly difficult to find a mountain shell that fits - and has all my particular demands to it. I saw Stellar ads last year and then asked a couple of random, unknown skiers wearing them what they thought. That tiny sample were enthusiastically delighted. So I pulled the trigger and it was delivered today (Size S, Blue). The alternatives were looking to be Arc' or Norrona both €700+ so at €350 there was an economic advantage to be had.

So far, I am delighted. It fits almost completely perfectly (probably means it will fit absolutely no-one else in the whole world), fractionally longer than the Patagonia one that it will replace, but not really so much that you'd notice. All the pockets that I want and a delightfully high collar which will be very appreciated on windy chairlifts.

They thoughtfully included spare studs and it came in the neatest, least wasteful packaging.

Looking forward to snow testing it in the coming weeks. We'll see if the new Dermizax lives up to its marketing.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Wed 4-12-19 21:57; edited 2 times in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Great looking gear and a mate who used it through last season is a fan. Interested to hear how it lasts - he found durability a couple of notches down from Norrona.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Looks really good, just missing wrist gaiters Sad

Their logo reminds me of Suzuki's!
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@under a new name, I was half hoping you'd say you hated it! I might have to buy one now.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@BobinCH, at half the price I can live with that.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I bought the 'Guide' jacket and trousers last year. It is superb kit and is rated as good as Goretex (but isn't). It kept me warm and dry through deep powder and in some downpours that I should have spent in the pub. It feels very durable too. A big thumbs up from me.

The logo is very Suzuki and my mates all take he wee wee out of my Stellar puffa jacket. I have the 800 although they now make a 1000. This is also a great bit of kit.

Just one point, when buying from Stellar they push you into using Karma when paying. Avoid this. Karma make money out of not telling you you need to pay now (typically one month later) and then charging when you default! Mates have been caught out - avoid!!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
under a new name wrote:
@BobinCH, at half the price I can live with that.

It was just his opinion. I am interested too so other experiences welcome!

How do you get the guide jacket for €350? It’s €450 on their site, still a fair bit cheaper than Norrona at €700.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@bar shaker, I don't recall the Klarna pay later option. - Just processed like any other store?

Will be interesting to see how the Dermizax works out. The previous contender was Patagonia H2No which I found worked better than my 2000 vintage GTX XCR...
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@under a new name, how does the fit compare to other brands (especially Norrøna)? I struggle to find jackets that fit too, so far Rab and Norrøna are the other 2 that seem to fit me really well.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@BobinCH, I think this is the one UANN got:

https://www.stellarequipment.com/product/m-stellar-shell-jacket-blue/

(there are 3 - the Shell, the Guide and the Free)
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@BobinCH, was "just" the "Shell" jacket, the "Guide" looked too long and the "Free" didn't come in blue (I've had my colours done, and I'm fussy) and I don't need a "generous" fit.

Definitely compares well to Arc'. No real idea about Norrona. It isn't so Scandi as I feared i.e. thin and long. As I am Scottish - wide for my height and short (but 30" waist and BMI ~21 if that helps).
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@under a new name, thanks. What's your chest size, if you don't mind me asking? Arc etc on me seem to end up huge round the shoulders and/or tight round the waist. I'd never claim to be a "muscular" build, but I'm also not totally unathletic and I definitely don't carry much spare weight around the middle. The Stellar kit does look tempting.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@mgrolf, I’m 167cm tall, 100cm chest, but the tricky bit is short arms. It’s defo quite slim fitting, I had all combos of layers on today Happy and with my thickest cold weather fleece we were defo getting towards limits.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Stellar looks good ....

http://youtube.com/v/dDq3NkFeqB8

More breathable than Goretex too
http://topputstyr.com/portfolio/dermizax-nx-vs-gore-tex-pro
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
under a new name wrote:
@bar shaker, I don't recall the Klarna pay later option. - Just processed like any other store?

Will be interesting to see how the Dermizax works out. ...

I have had both Dermizax and Gore Tex. There is no difference
snow conditions
@under a new name,

Any idea of the difference in the materials? This is what it says on the website. Shell looks like the better deal.
Guide:

Shell:

ski holidays
The origins of the material are from a "serious" scource in that field. Obviously they can't use the name of G as it's otherwise owned but no reason it's not able to match the performance. Made in Japan too, and they are extraordinarily fastidious about material structures etc.

https://www.toray.com/products/textiles/tex_0050.html appears to come from here and I "think" they may be the originator of material marketed as Alcantara, the suede mimic fabric.

Suppose that it's gortex's grip on the market that colours so many other assessment of competition, which is just what they want to happen. Interested to see first person evaluation on here and how they last.
ski holidays
And is the trouser material same as jacket? In Norrona the pants are much more robust
latest report
@BobinCH, No, I don't, I'm afraid. I didn't really consider the "Guide" as it's longer than the shell and that's exactly one thing I didn't want. Also I wanted more pockets for those days when I don't take a pack. Looks "technically" a little less breathable as well, but who knows?
ski holidays
one can believe what one wants but to find out whether Dermizax is Gore is under microscope Smile`
snow report
under a new name wrote:
@mgrolf, I’m 167cm tall, 100cm chest, but the tricky bit is short arms. It’s defo quite slim fitting, I had all combos of layers on today Happy and with my thickest cold weather fleece we were defo getting towards limits.

How is the cut? Is it like Mountain Equipment Alpine Fit (room for base layer and a fleece) or Arcteryx Expedition Fit (room for a base layer, a fleece and a down jacket)?
snow conditions
@Oceanic, my normal is fine wicking base, slightly thermal thin inter, Arc’ atom mid, shell.

The limit we were getting too was first two plus MountainHardWear monkeyman fleece which is deep pile and quite bulky - although very warm ...
latest report
Looks really good stuff. Anyone got a voucher code as I'm going shopping!?
snow report
@BobinCH, I'd say its a good few notches below Lofoten Pro.

If it does a job then no issues, I'm sure it will, good website, dodgy logo though wink but i'm sure it'll be OK, I'd personally buy Norrona from their outlet for less.
ski holidays
@Markymark29, Norrona: My big problem is fit, I'm not normally scandi-sized. And their colours are often not to my taste...

How much at the outlet?
snow conditions
kedsky wrote:
one can believe what one wants but to find out whether Dermizax is Gore is under microscope Smile`

Seems that the protection of the marketed name is what it's really about.

The construction of the product would seem just as "breathable" as marketing claims for the most prominent branding https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gore-Tex and doesn't appear unique to that one brand.

Garment construction is of course a completely different element in products to buy for the consumer though. Ability to produce those doesn't rely on having that branding, much more attention to detail, intent and market price position.

Having "the" label must cost more in license and supply chain though, you'd expect price point to be influenced by that.
latest report
under a new name wrote:
@Markymark29, Norrona: My big problem is fit, I'm not normally scandi-sized. And their colours are often not to my taste...

How much at the outlet?

not in the main outlet yet, lofoten pro goes for 699€
snow report
@under a new name, they vary, depend on model and size/ colours etc but in summer they have many jackets at 40/50% off rrp. Take a look online. We buy much gear on there and equally I’m not Skandi shaped either.....must be why my knuckles trail on the snow....thought it was a Darwinian evolution (or lack of in my case) thing!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Markymark29 wrote:
@BobinCH, I'd say its a good few notches below Lofoten Pro.

What's your basis for this statement? Materials, features, first/secondhand experience?
snow report
@mgrolf, take a read of this link and reviews and the feedback and then decide for yourself if a company that’s being going since 1929 with such an excellent service culture, sustainability record and product development is producing a better quality than one which is new on the block and claims to have “the best fabric on the market”, it’s half the price, has little track record I assume, never heard of it....I’ve been wearing Norrona for 10 years, never had any issues fell in my new Lofoten Pro Jacket last season, brand new jacket, ripped it on ski edge totally my fault, told them so and they had it sent back for repair, said they couldn’t make a perfect job so replaced it for me FOC, 699€ * jacket, I would have been happy paying for a patch repair......That’s quality imo, it’ll last me 5/6 years minimum.

https://www.norrona.com/en-GB/products/lofoten/lofoten-gore-tex-pro-ski-jacket-men/

* PS I didn’t pay that, nor would I.

The Stellar jackets look ok btw....
snow conditions
@Markymark29, won't last you 5 years if you keep ripping it on your edges, now, will it wink

The jacket looks just fine and ticks all my boxes. It will be given its first test the weekend after this one, I think.
snow report
Dermizax NX is what Bergans used in their top jackets. Just as good or better than Goretex.

Remember that 60% is the material and 40% on construction for me. If the this a nice jacket but poor material It is a poor jacket. same for top materials but poor construction is a poor jacket
snow report
@under a new name, ha, true!

I’m sure it’ll be good value at that money.
ski holidays
Last year, when I was buying, I got them to send me a Shell and a Guide jacket. The Guide was 3 ply and much heavier. Looking at the data above I would say they have added a ply to the Shell range.

The weave of Dermizax is courser than SEQ but both would be Goretex Pro equivalents.

I would say my Guide kit is similar feeling to my Musto HPX kit, obviously without the lining etc.

I've put on 10lb this year, I hope it still fits!! I'll know on the 30th Nov wink
snow conditions
Some further info from Stellar...

snow report
@BobinCH, interesting. Julia is very helpful isn't she? All round perfect online experience.

We'll see how we get on... reviews and reports will be interesting. I am totally looking forwards to trying mine out.

Also have boot-fitting booked Dec 2. Really excited about that!

And need (!) new Hestras.

Why did everything fail at once? rolling eyes

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Thu 21-11-19 8:36; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
@Markymark29, no question that Norrøna produces top-notch kit (and has done for years) but that doesn't mean newer brands can't match this (or get close) until they have been around for as long Puzzled
There are far more Swedish language reviews of Stellar kit than English, and they're generally pretty good. Not 100% endorsement but then I've not seen a brand with 100% positive (credible) reviews.
ski holidays
Alas I bought a Stellar Shell / Pants but the fit doesn’t work for me at all so will have to send it back. The medium jacket is pretty baggy and boxier than the fitted Norrona shape. Quality of Workmanship / materials also not at same level eg the braces for the pants are awful!
ski holidays
@BobinCH, sorry to hear that. Fit is a funny thing. What was wrong with the braces?
snow report
They’re way too big, so the Velcro has nothing to fasten too and look and feel cheap.

The material seems ok but the features and finishing are disappointing to my eye. I was hoping to use for touring but the shin opening and venting are useless
, front pockets in the wrong place and I can’t see the protective panels lasting long.

Really not in the same league as Norrona, Haglofs, Mammut etc, albeit much cheaper.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy