Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

La plagne - centre v 1800 v belle

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

Looking at heading to la plagne early next April, can’t decide on which base though! Interested to hear peoples opinions, thoughts, hints, etc about what will suit us best. Info that might help for advice, 2 adults, 1 skier 1 snowboard, both comfortable on blacks, 1x 10 year old intermediate skier 1x13 y old intermediate boarder. Kids will do morning lessons.

Arriving by car, like to stay busy all day, (any pools? Sledging runs/areas, thinking apartment, sometime eating out sometime eating in,

Cheers!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Been a few years but here goes...…
AFAIK the only real public swimming pool in the entire LP complex is in Plagne Bellecote (just down the hill from BP).
In BP itself, Chalet Balcons (I think) has a very small pool - which might be open to the public?

Since BP is the highest "village" and your group are already all mobile in the slopes, I'd tend to go up there in April.
Some bars and cafes/restaurants but it's not the best for night-life.

Check that any BP apartment rental also gives you access to the huge underground parking. Then you can park once and just forget the wagon.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Have a look at this apartment http://www.locbelleplagne.com/index.php?M=2&S=1

We’re going there in January for the fourth time. It is in the Quartz building at Belle Plagne. It is ski in - ski out, the price includes underground parking for the duration of your stay and there are no steps to climb. It even has UK tv if that is a consideration. Easy walk to the centre of Belle Plagne for supermarket and restaurants and all under cover if weather is inclement.

You can book direct with them or they are also on HomeAway.co.uk if you prefer

We think it is ideal and great value for money and btw we have no connection to them apart from as tenants
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I like La Plagne. But like all these things it is Marmite where to stay.
1800, more "charm". BP more ski in choice and closer for the whole Paradiski region.

Personally, id go to Les Arcs and stay in 1800. Imho, the skiing is about the same and you can ski in LP easily.
But the apres is miles better with Arpette and now a Folie Douce. And the evening can be a lot better too. Good bar life and restaurants.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks all, thinking la plagne as I like the look of a couple of the ski schools,

What about plagne villages?

Also is it possible to do plagne centre to glacier, ski a bit and back to Plagne Centre in 2.5 hours???
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Plagne Villages is quite pretty but set more on its own
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Probably thinking BP may be most suitable although 1800 is fine if you get an apartment you like. If snow was bad you may have to get the bus back to 1800 but only 10 mins from centre.

There are sledging runs at Bellecote and centre, bellecote is 5 mins in bubble from BP and also has the ice rink & outdoor pool. The bobsleigh run in la plagne might also be open if early April.

As above in BP balcons has a pool and restaurant with pool table for the kids. Ski in ski out with the boot room on a blue. Similarly Lauze appartments in 1800 has an outdoor pool and games area. If looking at Lauze choose an apartment as big as possible.

Depending on the type of lessons needed, you may also have more choice up in BP.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
jarji wrote:
The bobsleigh run in la plagne might also be open if early April.

Only if very early April - it is closed from Saturday 4th.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
CornishBoarder, tho we are based in 1800, i would agree with Belle Plagne as your base.
Which apartment depends on your budget.

Can you get to Glacier, ski a bit, and get back to Plagne Centre in 2.5 hours?
Simple answer: No.
You would just about manage getting to the glacier and then straight back to Belle Plagne in that time.
Your main obstacle is the ancient gondola up to the Glacier area: often very long queues.
And why rush? The main (only?) reason for going up to the Glacier is the wonderful views. Take photos, take your time, and enjoy.

(Of course, many go up to the Glacier to do the excellent blacks Rochu and Bellecote. Is that what you meant by " ski a bit"? snowHead )
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
To add to @Jonpim's, comment above, the glacier was shut for extended periods last winter because of too much snow stopping the lifts working (burying them at one point) and health and safety, the glacier can only be opened IF helicopter evacuation is possible, because there is no effective land route for evacuation in winter. The blacks that are up there are left 'Natur' and can be windblown rock hard compacted snow drifted into frozen berms - but if that's your thing... Having said all that Ive just noticed you are talking about April so perhaps not so much snow stopping the lifts or freezing windblown pistes up there snowHead Laughing
There is so much more to explore in La Plagne than the Glacier and in April so many sunny terraces to sit on and soak up the sunshine and local 'atmosphere' snowHead

To answer your question another vote for Belle Plagne
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks all, the 2.5 hour thing was the amount of time daughters are in lessons, and was thinking in April best snow would be up there,

But happy to be pointed in other directions by more knowledgeable people,

Where does the old lift people talk of start from?
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
1880 very ugly Belle much prettier and better skiing on that side.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
CornishBoarder wrote:
...Also is it possible to do plagne centre to glacier, ski a bit and back to Plagne Centre in 2.5 hours???

Depends on how fast you ski, whether you like to stop for coffee/photos, how busy it is that week, etc. But it is only 4 lifts up, and 2 back, including the slow Bellecote gondola to/from Roche de Mio and the glacier both ways. If you don't hang about I would think it quite possible.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@CornishBoarder, The oldest bit of the lift is from Roche de Mio to the Glacier, slightly newer cabins from Bellecote to Belle Plagne, the whole lot is due to be replaced - I think for 2020/2021 - although there are all sorts of politics both local and environmental involved.
There will still be loads of really good snow around in April, some of the best last season was in the lower traffic areas all around the resort - if you find the Cretes lift on the map that's quite low traffic wink
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I prefer the setting of Belle Plagne, both for location and because it's slightly prettier. Downside is the Bellecote squeeze in the mornings, especially if you're thinking Easter holiday. What about going to Les Coches instead? Can be a bit soft getting down in the afternoon but is a nice location and I think Glacier is still reasonably easy to access (the lift layout has changed since I was last there).
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy